Password

Album Review

Kids in the Way - A Love Hate Masquerade Album Cover

Kids in the Way - A Love Hate Masquerade

Reviewed by
Kids in the Way - A Love Hate Masquerade
Record Label: Flicker Records
Release Date: September 18, 2008
Kids in the Way show the protruding metal prongs of Hawthorne Heights and the goth-rock spires of My Chemical Romance in their songs for their latest album A Love Hate Masquerade from Flicker Records. Lead vocalist David Paul Pelsue pilots the melodies with the precision of an ace wingman as the guitar daggers of Eric Ehman carve out splinters that spray in a million directions pushing the boundaries of the melodic frames. The stringent cuts in the rhythms of bassist Wille Bostic and drummer Eric Carter embed sharp cracks along the floorboards creating a crushing juggernaut moving up and down. The music has amplified currents that move at the speed of an uncontrollable mudslide, and Kids in the Way make this ride totally worth taking.

Tracks like “Your Demon” and “Better Times” are well crafted songs with the emotive sensibilities of AFI. Kids in the Way’s songs are made of slick steely lines and engaging chord dynamics that keep the listeners interest throughout, whether the songs have a slow rising intensity like “Fiction” or the stormy rapids of “My Little Nightmare.” The chord rotations gather like thunder before blowing up like a fleet of grenades. The vocals move with a thoughtful caress along “The Innocence” and charge vigorously through the burning mounds of “Letting Go.” The lyrics describe a passion as deep as the intensity portrayed in the music with words about love, able to feel it, dread losing it, and aching for it when it’s gone to the point of self-destruction. Kids in the Way's songs are cathartic working through the emotions of withdrawal from love like in “Fiction.” The lyrics share a connection with the adage that it is better to have loved than to have never loved at all and to Bon Jovi‘s lyric “true love is suicide“ from his song “I’ll Be There For You.” The lyrics of “Fiction” describe, “A dusty record spins, an old song plays again / The needle dragging across it’s skin / Ink spills from my pen, the paper soaks it in / The music bringing tremors in my hand / I can’t just give you up / Just lift you up to chance on a dragonfly’s wing / With my love in the wind, you left me standing alone / Hoping it brings you back to me.” They say that hope springs eternal, and sometimes that is one’s only life-line out of an emotional malaise.

Produced by Kato Khandwala, A Love Hate Masquerade is a ride that you will likely go back on line to take again. Not to feel the pain but to release it. All of the members of Kids in the Way are credited for writing the songs on the album with a few tracks that were collaborations with Kato and record producer David Bendeth (Your Vegas, Hawthorne Heights, Killswitch Engage). The title of the album tells you everything you need to know about the tales enclosed in the album. The songs are stories about love that turn to hate once the masks come off. It’s a familiar theme that you would think has worn out its appeal with Bon Jovi, but Kids in the Way just opened a new book on this subject matter, and it is a startling find.

Recommended if You LikeHawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, AFI

myspace.com/kidsintheway
This review is a user submitted review from Susan Frances. You can see all of Susan Frances's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
08:10 AM on 05/22/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I truthfully thought this was a lot weaker (what i heard of it) than Apparitions of Melody.. And, "fiction" was on that album also.
05:48 PM on 05/22/08
punkfritterx37
i will awake the dawn
User Info.
I truthfully thought this was a lot weaker (what i heard of it) than Apparitions of Melody.. And, "fiction" was on that album also.

i totally agree with you. with a love hate masquerade, KITW made a nice, safe, secular pop album. compared to the intensity of their lyrics in Safe From the Losing Fight and even Apparitions of Melody, this album really didn't deliver for me. I was pretty disappointed overall.
08:26 PM on 05/22/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
i totally agree with you. with a love hate masquerade, KITW made a nice, safe, secular pop album. compared to the intensity of their lyrics in Safe From the Losing Fight and even Apparitions of Melody, this album really didn't deliver for me. I was pretty disappointed overall.
Mmhmm, i'm not a christian, at all, but i enjoyed them more as a christian band.. I adored Apparitions, and i thought Safe from the Losing fight was pretty decent.

However, the lyrics from "Your Demon" seem pretty catchy on this album. Like you said, they changed their style from whatever it was and made it much poppier.

I've met the lead singer numerous times, and apparently before they released this album they were about to break up, and i haven't heard anything from them since, its a shame, i would have loved to see them live. I only saw him with his brother's worship band.
12:04 AM on 05/23/08
genericmadness
Registered Loser
User Info.
Makes Apparitions of Melody look like Sgt Pepper's
11:08 AM on 05/23/08
punkfritterx37
i will awake the dawn
User Info.
Mmhmm, i'm not a christian, at all, but i enjoyed them more as a christian band.. I adored Apparitions, and i thought Safe from the Losing fight was pretty decent.

However, the lyrics from "Your Demon" seem pretty catchy on this album. Like you said, they changed their style from whatever it was and made it much poppier.

I've met the lead singer numerous times, and apparently before they released this album they were about to break up, and i haven't heard anything from them since, its a shame, i would have loved to see them live. I only saw him with his brother's worship band.

i've only ever seen him with APB, either. and yeah, i like 'sugar' a LOT :] but i'm a Christian and as far as i'm concerned the way Jesus was replaced with 'baby' on ALHM was a major letdown.

even so, i would be super bummed if they broke up. they were supposed to be at Kingdom Bound last year and they didn't show. I think one of their guitarists is joining Disciple, anyway, so maybe it is farewell. but if this is their new sound, then maybe it's for the best.
10:00 AM on 10/05/10
EscapeTheFate94
User Info.
I loved this album! The other two were great as well however.
My favorite song on this album was "My Little Nightmare" :)
This has to be my favorite band ever xD

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version