AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Issues - Black Diamonds Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 6.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 0.25
Musicianship 0.25
Lyrics 0.25
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 3%
Inside AP.net

Issues - Black Diamonds

Reviewed by: ShadowFallx (05/17/13)
Issues - Black Diamonds
Record Label: Velocity Records
Release Date: November 13, 2012

If you are familiar with Woe, Is Me, then you are most likely familiar with Issues. Before Issues was created Woe, Is Me was what most called "One of the best Post hardcore/Metalcore bands currently" Clean vocalist Tyler Carter was in Woe, Is Me from it's start in 2009 up until 2011. Tyler left due to personal issues with a member of Woe, Is me. More and more members of Woe, Is Me departed from the band including ex unclean vocalist Michael Bohn. In summer of 2012, Issues was created by Tyler Carter. Issues contained 4 ex Woe, Is Me members. They were: Cory Ferris, Ben Ferris, Michael Bohn, and Tyler Carter. Cory and Ben Ferris both ended up departing from Issues. Quickly after the band was formed, they were signed by Velocity Records. They hit the studio shortly after that. Their debut EP Black Diamonds was released November 13, 2012.

The CD starts off with "Black Diamonds" Featuring Scout. It's a hip hop styled intro. Honestly it's probably my least favorite intro ever. My least favorite "song" from the EP. "We keep the cash on deck" and "Swerved out black-black diamond" are actual lyrics spoken. I'm guessing you can guess why it's really bad. In all honesty, I HATE it.

The second track is "King of Amarillo" This song is directed towards Woe, Is Me. Lyrics are way better than the previous track but still a bit childish. The screaming is decent, but nothing special. The chorus of this song is very catchy as is most of their songs. Near the end of the song, there is this R&B breakdown. Normally this would be a problem but since it's only for a few seconds, it's not too big of a deal. This track's beat is so active that it reels you in. Great song in all.

The third track is titled, "The Worst Of Them". This song is led by clean vocalist Tyler Carter for once. If you complained about Carter not singing enough, this track is for you. I could listen to this song all day. The guitar and bass in this song make it even better in a way. The lyrics are actually good. The best in the EP in my opinion. Later in the song, the screaming comes in. I have to say..Michael Bohn's screaming in this song add more feeling to it. It makes the song addictive. Tyler shines in this song, and when he shines..he shines bright. The way the bass and guitars are played in this song, the pounding of the notes while keeping the beat, is really great.

The fourth track is titled, "Princeton Avenue". It starts off with a piano playing with Michael Bohn's screaming in the background. Pretty okay. Nothing great. Nothing terrible. Then the actual song starts. Right off the bat the catchy chorus plays. Followed by that the decent screams actually show potential. The screaming in this song is one of Michael Bohn's best. In this song, the screams and singing are blended in a way that is rarely heard. My favorite part in this song is the drumming by Case Snedecor. At the near end, yet another R&B breakdown is introduced. This time, it is actually pretty well placed. It sounds really nice in the song. Especially how it leads up to exquisite screaming.

The fifth track is "Love, Sex, Riot". Featuring Chris Fronzack from Attila. Now this song grows on you, the screaming by Chris Fronzack takes the prize on this one. His screaming is so hypnotizing. Michael Bohn tries to keep up and does an okay job but, Fronz is clearly the victor in the screaming battle. We are missing one vocalist though..I would've forgotten about Tyler Carter if he didn't sing such an excellent chorus. He executes so well. It's almost unbelievable. Don't get me started on the instrumentals..honestly, as excellent the screaming is, it would be a ton worse without these instrumentals. A painter needs a canvas to paint on, right? These guys are one hell of a canvas.

The sixth and final song on this EP is titled "Her Monologue" Featuring Scout (Yes, the guy from the intro.. Oh god..) and Snow Tha Product(It hurt typing that name) The very beginning is kind of an "Um Ok" moment. Sounds a bit poppy. This song could've been better than it is. I mean, I really like Tyler Carter's singing in this song, but compared to all of the great songs in this EP..this one just falls behind. The music is pretty entertaining. When this song ends it leaves me with an, "Oh that was okay, I guess" but oh no. Nope. No. It's not over. It becomes a rap song. It becomes a rap song.. This Scout guy must be bad luck. When I say it was bad, it was BAD. They made an "Okay" song become a "Kill me" song.

This EP is worth the money, without question. It offers strong vocals with instrumentals that'll entertain in every song. Woe, Is Me died with Tyler Carter's departure. His new home is in Issues and honestly it puts a smile on my face. Carter brings the talent he's always had into the light. This is one of my favorite EP's ever. Feel free to disagree but, Issues delivers. Michael Bohn's screams are firm pillars to this band. Issues has made a fan out of me with this EP. Put this next to Woe, Is Me's Genesi[s] and it looks like Gold next to a turd. I will definitely be picking up their album. I strongly recommend this to any metalcore fan.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
04:56 PM on 05/20/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
You criticize this album A LOT for loving it so much.
06:37 PM on 05/20/13
ShadowFallx
People from Phoenix are Phoenecians
User Info.
You criticize this album A LOT for loving it so much.
:o How so?
12:28 PM on 05/21/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.

Well you say 2/6 of the album are "kill me songs" haha.
04:53 PM on 05/21/13
ShadowFallx
User Info.
Well you say 2/6 of the album are "kill me songs" haha.
Oh, I guess I did..well it's hard to hate this band and EP for two songs ( In my opinion (: ) I guess I was unclear..those songs are embarrassing but the rest is so impressive that it doesn't seem to matter to me. Haha, if that makes sense.
06:44 PM on 05/21/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Oh, I guess I did..well it's hard to hate this band and EP for two songs ( In my opinion (: ) I guess I was unclear..those songs are embarrassing but the rest is so impressive that it doesn't seem to matter to me. Haha, if that makes sense.

Haha, okay, I get it now.
06:47 PM on 05/21/13
ShadowFallx
User Info.
Haha, okay, I get it now.
Haha, any more things you wanted to point out? It helps for my future reviews.
06:49 PM on 05/21/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Haha, any more things you wanted to point out? It helps for my future reviews.

Nope, not really. Thanks for not taking that all negatively.
08:59 PM on 05/21/13
ShadowFallx
User Info.
Nope, not really. Thanks for not taking that all negatively.
Yeah, of course. You're actually helping. Haha.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests