Username
Password
Skate and Surf Fest News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Skate and Surf Fest
Inside AP.net

Skate and Surf Open Thread

Posted by: Drew Beringer (05/19/13)
If you went to Skate and Surf Fest this weekend, let us know how it was. What was your favorite act? What was your favorite memory? This is the thread to talk about the weekend.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 209
03:50 PM on 05/19/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Gross and rainy. I didn't even go back today. I'm glad I got to see FOB but that's about it.

Oh also I learned that TWLOHA is still a thing that exists
03:59 PM on 05/19/13
jjnunn118
Starship Renegade
User Info.
Heard this was a disaster
04:10 PM on 05/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Heard this was a disaster
Really? What happened?
04:12 PM on 05/19/13
Flyrfn144
User Info.
It was set up very poorly and felt really amateur honestly. I felt like the price was way higher than it should've been for something like this, especially when in comparison to Warped and other festivals, it was nowhere near as well put together or anything like that.

That being said, the security catching crowd surfers (and having to hold up the barricades from collapsing every 5 mins) and the sound people did a great job as everything sounded fantastic. The bands were all great (at least all of the ones I decided to watch) and personally my favorite acts of the day were Major League, Transit, and Into It. Over It. If it was organized a little better and maybe a little cheaper (I mean, I can't see why this couldn't have been like 50-60 bucks after charges instead of 80) it would've been perfect.
04:16 PM on 05/19/13
ZacGinger
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i would be a lot happier if I didn't pay $80 to get in, $22 for parking, and another $20+ for food. The rain wasn't even that much of a factor, it was the fact that it was at Six Flags. Not to mention the 2 hour line of cars for parking, and the 25 minute line just to get the wrist band to enter. It was a nightmare and I bet it would have been a lot simpler if at the venue in Freehold.
Aside from that, the sets were typically good. I enjoyed a lot of bands I like and found some that I've never listened to (Tallheart mostly). The rain really didn't affect much besides it was supposed to be 75 and sunny, but instead turned out to be in the 50's and non stop rain.
04:17 PM on 05/19/13
btown4life
User Info.
I would have been super pissed if I paid for VIP (got free upgrade for buying early tickets). We were promised acoustic sets and instead they gave the artists the choice of playing acoustic or doing a meet and greet. Most chose m&g but the schedule wasn't advertised so hardly anyone was there for the bands. Will update more later. But if this is the new skate and surf, I will not be returning. It seems less like S&S bands and more like Bamboozle Lite.
04:37 PM on 05/19/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
I'm here now. A lot of douchebags here for Macklemore. Gj was ok. Daryl half assed it but the band sounds great. Bayside had a great "greatest hits" set. Dangerkids were outstanding. Cartel was pitch perfect and the Bandits were stoney lol
04:51 PM on 05/19/13
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
I'm here now. A lot of douchebags here for Macklemore. Gj was ok. Daryl half assed it but the band sounds great. Bayside had a great "greatest hits" set. Dangerkids were outstanding. Cartel was pitch perfect and the Bandits were stoney lol
What was Cartel's set?

Also curious what State Champs played...doing some research before the tour with NFG xD
04:55 PM on 05/19/13
FueledByFrodo
@alexmnorthrup/@inorganicrecs
User Info.
Still here chilling. Leathermouth is playing a pretty tight set if you're into them. Glassjaw and Hostage Calm were really fun today. Daylight was miserable but I don't blame them. Yesterday was a better lineup but the main stage was pushed back over an hour. Fall Out Boy ruled but they weren't done until quarter to 12. And there are two sets of stages right next to each other and the sound overlaps, that was a poor choice. I think if the festival added like 20 feet to the grounds and pushed those stages further apart it would've been perfect. Also if the weather was nice. Best sets were Fall Out Boy, Into It. Over It., and Balance & Composure
05:06 PM on 05/19/13
jjnunn118
Starship Renegade
User Info.
Really? What happened?
Basically what everyone else said. Awful parking, horrible layout with stages bleeding into each other, open air stages so rain was messing with equipment, delays, set times getting cut, VIP benefits not being delivered as promised, etc... Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a S&S '14
05:18 PM on 05/19/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
What was Cartel's set?

Also curious what State Champs played...doing some research before the tour with NFG xD

Pretty much a greatest hits type of set. They only had about 20 minutes so they crammed like 5-6 songs in. Big crowd though considering Macklemore was starting. I checked out State Champs set real quick. First time hearing them and they were pretty solid. Sorry I don't know any of their songs.
05:23 PM on 05/19/13
Paris1nFlames
User Info.
Glassjaw set list please
05:31 PM on 05/19/13
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Pretty much a greatest hits type of set. They only had about 20 minutes so they crammed like 5-6 songs in. Big crowd though considering Macklemore was starting. I checked out State Champs set real quick. First time hearing them and they were pretty solid. Sorry I don't know any of their songs.
No problem, thanks!
05:33 PM on 05/19/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Balance & Composure was awesome yesterday.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests