AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

TWIABP Member Comments on Own Record Leak, Admits to...

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (05/20/13)
Okay, this is going to take a minute: Derrick from The World Is A Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid To Die posted a blog regarding the leak of his band's record, Whenever, If Ever. He explains why the band tried to get the leak taken down (tl;dr: because Topshelf Records didn't want the record online) but simultaneously does not seem to care if you download the leak. He also admits to oftentimes ripping records from Bandcamp if they aren't available for pay-what-you-want download and added this: Fuck, I leaked American Radass, that most recent Circle Takes the Square Record, the most recent mewithoutYou record, and even more recently a new Self Defense Family EP. The linked post is a reblog from the TWIABP Tumblr, as the original post has been deleted. A cut from the blog is below and the entire essay can be read in the replies.
i donít think a record leaking is going to effect the sale of records at our shows. only a fucking dipshit is going to refuse to buy a vinyl record because they have the mp3s. that is not the concern. i donít fucking care. iíve always downloaded leaks, shared them, helped leak records, and a been part of sites like this. iím not in anyway opposing an operation like what.cd in anyway.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 280
09:31 AM on 05/20/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Okay, the bolded parts are commentary from the TWIABP Tumblr, while the non-bolded is the original post. As far as I can tell, it's the same person writing both posts:

So our record leaked on what.cd and now I have shitheads harassing me about trying to get rid of the leak. I drank a bunch of gin and wrote the following in reply to some post about me being a shithead. If you have followed my tumblr for a while you know that I most certainly promote leaks. Fuck, I leaked American Radass, that most recent Circle Takes the Square Record, the most recent mewithoutYou record, and even more recently a new Self Defense Family EP. I really don’t give a shit. Download everything illegally.

The following post is in response to multiple users of what.cd stating that they will not be buying our record because we tried to get the leak taken down.

idk, everyone who wants it should have it but like some people don’t want it to be out there for free. that makes sense to me. i think the leak fine but some people (record label dudes) fret hard about that shit and then in turn, i get shit for it. do whatever you want, don’t come see us, don’t buy our record. that is fine.

i think it makes complete sense that a record label that spends a ton of money on a record, makes plans for the release, then tries to make sure it doesn’t leak is completely rational. these are people that run a business / make a living off of their passion, music. these aren’t capitalist monsters exploiting your interest to make an ungodly amount of money. these are broke ass dudes in Boston that live in shitty apartments with terrible people like Greg Horbal. obviously they are going to stress out about one of their releases getting leaked and negatively effecting the way they do business. idk why there is this sense of entitlement when it comes to shit like this. you have the fucking record early don’t you?

had the album been released when topshelf had planned to release it, we would have offered it for free / pay-what-you-want like every release we had before. we still will. that is the way this band has always operated.

i run a record label as well and all of our release are free digitally (unless specifically requested by the band).

the record is out there, nothing we can do about and i’m extremely stoked that people can finally hear this record. obviously topshelf has given up on their attempts to squash the leak. i’ve been yelled at constantly for sending it people before it’s release. i really don’t give a shit about it being out.

my only concern is the wonderful people who help me fulfill my dream of being in a band full time are pissed that the record was leaked. keep your money, totally cool with me. the leak is probably my fault anyway.

if there is anything else twiabp related that anyone would have any interest in will gladly upload it and share it.

i don’t see any money from topshelf’s sale of the record. the money we make on the record comes from someone buying our copies at shows. we get a percentage of each pressing for free and sell those at shows. if you catch me drunk i will probably give it you (especially if you talk to me about The White Octave). any pleas for you to buy the digital have come from either topshelf or the shittier members of the band (Greg Horbal).

i don’t think a record leaking is going to effect the sale of records at our shows. only a fucking dipshit is going to refuse to buy a vinyl record because they have the mp3s. that is not the concern. i don’t fucking care. i’ve always downloaded leaks, shared them, helped leak records, and a been part of sites like this. i’m not in anyway opposing an operation like what.cd in anyway.

i never buy digital releases. if a record is on bandcamp without the option to download it for free i use the firefox plug-in “net video hunter” to download it for free. i am not attacking the act of downloading free music. what kind of fucking loser would do that? it’s not like anyone got a court order or took legal action against this. it was members of the band and the people that run topshelf asking politely to not have our record leak for completely rational reasons.

i reported the torrent because a bunch of mother fuckers are on my shit about our record leaking and want to try and stop it. those mother fuckers, are great mother fuckers, that do great things, and i am more obligated to be on their side than a bunch of other mother fuckers who are pissed at me for trying to stop the leak of my music that a lot of people worked really fucking hard on.

sorry that i’m such a fucking terrible person, jesus fucking christ.

If you know me well, I probably sent you this record. I have probably sent you every fucking thing that TWIABP has ever done. It is something that I put my entire fucking being into and I only want people to be able to hear it and enjoy it.
09:36 AM on 05/20/13
TuskandTemper
User Info.
These band names just keep getting more ridiculous. Check out my new band.. It's called The House With The Red Door With A Dragon Shaped Knocker.
09:36 AM on 05/20/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You don't leak other bands albums unless your a complete ass. Hopefully nobody buys his record!!!
09:37 AM on 05/20/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
You don't leak other bands albums unless your a complete ass. Hopefully nobody buys his record!!!
but it's good. i bought the 12" today in fact. haha
09:37 AM on 05/20/13
Thursdaysox
Sleep Well
User Info.
These band names just keep getting more ridiculous. Check out my new band.. It's called The House With The Red Door With A Dragon Shaped Knocker.

I think you've got a winning name right there
09:38 AM on 05/20/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
"i reported the torrent because a bunch of mother fuckers are on my shit about our record leaking and want to try and stop it. those mother fuckers, are great mother fuckers, that do great things, and i am more obligated to be on their side than a bunch of other mother fuckers who are pissed at me for trying to stop the leak of my music that a lot of people worked really fucking hard on."

Maybe it's the way he worded it, but this confuses me. It sounds like he's taking those people's side AND being angry at them? Haha.
09:39 AM on 05/20/13
mattjritter
USMNT ♦ AVFC
User Info.
This dude has absolutely no respect for his label, and seems incredibly ungrateful.

That's really disappointing.
09:39 AM on 05/20/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
I'm... Confused
09:41 AM on 05/20/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
but it's good. i bought the 12" today in fact. haha

I've never listened to the band, for all I know they could be great.

I just can't get behind supporting a band who leaks records of other bands. I just think that's just extremely fucked up.
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
"i reported the torrent because a bunch of mother fuckers are on my shit about our record leaking and want to try and stop it. those mother fuckers, are great mother fuckers, that do great things, and i am more obligated to be on their side than a bunch of other mother fuckers who are pissed at me for trying to stop the leak of my music that a lot of people worked really fucking hard on."

Maybe it's the way he worded it, but this confuses me. It sounds like he's taking those people's side AND being angry at them? Haha.
here is what i understand from the whole thing:

"our record leaked. personally i don't care. oh but topshelf cares and we like them. so we tried to stop it. but really we don't care -- in fact i download leaks all the time. hey, i even leaked ALL these records by bands you like. aren't i cool? don't you get it now? i don't really actually care, i just care!"
Thursdaysox
Sleep Well
User Info.
Also this post is legitimately unreadable. But I did try, here is my summary: fuck, fuck, fuck, fucking assholes, fuck that.
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I've never listened to the band, for all I know they could be great.

I just can't get behind supporting a band who leaks records of other bands. I just think that's just extremely fucked up.
i agree with that. maybe i wouldn't have bought it if i read this post yesterday. there is literally no way of knowing it's a ~mystery~
09:42 AM on 05/20/13
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
The Music Industry Is A Terrible Place and I'm No Longer Afraid to Steal
09:42 AM on 05/20/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
Being okay with your own record leaking (which I think is what he's saying? Kind of?) is one thing, but leaking other bands records? Not cool, at all.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests