Password

Album Review

From First to Last - From First to Last Album Cover

From First to Last - From First to Last

Reviewed by
From First to Last - From First to Last
Record Label: Suretone
Release Date: May 6, 2008
As much as a lot of us wouldn’t like to admit, From First to Last are one of those bands that we secretly (or for a brave few, openly) listened to back in the day, especially during the band’s peak after their release of Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Body Count in 2004. Sure, it was cliché. Sure, it was ridiculously emotional. Sure, Sonny Moore’s voice was unbelievably nasal and whiny. But we ate it up. The catchy hooks and choruses were just too much to resist. Heroine, From First to Last’s 2006 effort, showed a notable change in sound (as well as mixed reviews), but both lovers and haters were anxious to hear the next album to see if the band could either salvage the listeners lost on Heroine or fulfill old fans’ need for change in a scene where “the same” is unacceptable.

Unfortunately for both parties, From First to Last, the band’s newest album, is not only derivative and contrived (at best), but it’s also just generally un-enjoyable.

One difference fans will immediately notice on this album is the absence of vocalist Moore, whose voice (love it or hate it) was a vital part of the band's sound. Now led by once back-up singer and lead guitar Matt Good, From First to Last flounders. Not only is Good’s voice more nasal than Moore’s, it’s weaker and it sounds exactly like every other post-hardcore/screamo vocalist in the music industry.

The band may have been able to scrape by with a weak vocalist if the members had been able to write quality lyrics. Surprisingly, Good, who has been the primary songwriter since Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Body Count, has written the worst lyrics of his career, despite finally having the opportunity to deliver them himself (he originally wanted to be the vocalist before Moore joined the band). “Who we are / What we are / It’s nothing but a point of view,” from “We All Turn Back to Dust” and, “I’d be a lying man if I said that everything was fine / But sometimes, lying’s really the truth in disguise,” from “I Once Was Lost but Made Profound,” are just two small examples in an abundance of lyrics that make listeners want to gag themselves before being forced to listen another time. Instead of writing clever (if sometimes grotesque; see: “Ride the Wings of Pestilence”) or intensely emotional lyrics, which at the very least give listeners a catchy phrase to latch on to in past albums, Good tried to get “serious” and “meaningful,” and fails miserably.

Another difference that detracts from the sound is the slowed-tempo feeling of the album and the lack of catchy hooks. Too slow to be pop punk or hardcore, but too whiny to be radio rock, this album manages to avoid any positive element of any genre. The 39-minute album (which would be a little on the short side for many) plods hopelessly and quickly becomes background music. “Deliverance!” and “We All Turn Back to Dust” manage to provide small respites from the monotony, but probably wouldn’t even be considered “good” on a Hawthorne Heights album (I’m not kidding). To cap it off, the production of this CD is way too overbearing, and the “too much studio work trying to cover up poor musicianship” stamp is on each of the album’s eleven tracks.

The only situation in which I would recommend this album is as follows. You and a friend of yours have been drifting apart recently, and you’re trying to find a common ground to get things back to the way they were in the good ole’ days. Strike up a conversation like, “Hey remember when we used to listen to From First to Last?” Then pop the CD in to your nearest player and say, “Check this out!” Proceed to laugh hysterically.

Recommended if You LikeHawthorne Heights, boredom, wasting time

myspace.com/fftl
This review is a user submitted review from Jesse SD. You can see all of Jesse SD's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
10:46 PM on 05/25/08
gusta0117
nacho abalafa barnacle loofties
User Info.
i think this CD has 5 solid songs.
then a couple are bearable
and others i dont like

if you havent listened yet; you should def. try these tracks out:
1. We All Turn Back To Dust
2. Two As One
3. Once Profound
4. The Other Side
5. Worlds Away

i think those are really good. some parts remind me of dear diary songs.

i dont agree with parts of the review.
you dont touch on their EP at all, in which Good sings on.
i think he is a fine vocalist, but i do agree he isnt destinctive enough to be a lead vocalist in a genre where every singer sounds the same

i will give the CD probably like a 53%. that sounds about good.
03:27 AM on 05/27/08
Twikki
Continuous Thunder
User Info.
i thought this album was pretty good

i havent listened to all of the songs but the ones i have listened to are pretty solid

two as one
the other side
worlds away
we all turn back to dust
deliverance
in memorium in advance
05:58 AM on 05/27/08
CH!MP
planning a prison break
User Info.
Even a FFTL fanboy like myself can admit this album is pretty poor...which saddens me. Some songs are pretty decent but it really is a fairly tiresome affair listening to the whole album. Good's weak falsetto...*shudder*

I pretty much agree with the review, though i don't think the musicianship is that bad. But i admit the album does suffer from the lack of catchy hooks. It's always worth mentioning Derek (drums) in particular, who is perhaps too skilled and over-the-top if anything.
06:29 AM on 05/27/08
Merkin
A Fine Evening For a Rogue
User Info.
the RIYL section is pointless if you use it like that.
and have you listened to the album more than once?
it is not that bad, especially musically, they are talented.
i'm not sure why so many people are throwing so much hate onto this band. just because sonny left does not make them worse automatically.
this album is better than heroine.
06:48 AM on 05/27/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I loved the old FFTL, and i think its why i'm slow to embrace this one.

When i first heard "Two As One" i wanted to gag.

-However, one of my friends bought the album and says he likes it. Something about how it sounds like Saosin when they had Anthony Greene.
01:07 PM on 05/27/08
jamesmustdie
I made a magic wand today.
User Info.
Unfortunately for those that want an honest non-predispositioned review, they won't find it here. I'm becoming rather weary of those who use "reviews" as a vehicle for their own childish name-calling or the equivalent. That being said, I would like to think that From First to Last has hit their stride with this album. It's not overproduced, the musicianship is better than ever, and Good delivers satisfactory, albeit not terrific lyrics coupled with strong vocals. Ditch this slander and try out the album for yourself.

The Other Side, We All Turn Back To Dust, and Deliverance! are the standouts here.
11:18 PM on 05/29/08
pesh1011
Breaking Mirrors Since 1990
User Info.
I legitamely enjoy this album. I think you shouldn't have graded it as harsh as you did. It's quality and deserves to see a little respect even if everyone's mad that Sonny is gone. In my opinion, Matt Good has better vocal stylings than Moore.
11:19 PM on 05/29/08
pesh1011
Breaking Mirrors Since 1990
User Info.
Unfortunately for those that want an honest non-predispositioned review, they won't find it here. I'm becoming rather weary of those who use "reviews" as a vehicle for their own childish name-calling or the equivalent. That being said, I would like to think that From First to Last has hit their stride with this album. It's not overproduced, the musicianship is better than ever, and Good delivers satisfactory, albeit not terrific lyrics coupled with strong vocals. Ditch this slander and try out the album for yourself.

The Other Side, We All Turn Back To Dust, and Deliverance! are the standouts here.

I agree with you
08:28 AM on 06/03/08
peterbread
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i actually dig this album, right now its just cool to hate from first to last
11:31 AM on 06/04/08
aramish187
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

i agree with you.
11:35 AM on 06/17/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
the RIYL section is pointless if you use it like that.
and have you listened to the album more than once?
it is not that bad, especially musically, they are talented.
i'm not sure why so many people are throwing so much hate onto this band. just because sonny left does not make them worse automatically.
this album is better than heroine.

11:36 AM on 06/17/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
i actually dig this album, right now its just cool to hate from first to last

No, I bought the album, gave it an honest shot. I would say almost any album is worth the eight dollars i paid, except this wasn't. Complete and utter shit, and not just because it's totally cool to hate from first to last

yes, yes, I am mocking you
01:34 PM on 07/12/08
peterbread
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No, I bought the album, gave it an honest shot. I would say almost any album is worth the eight dollars i paid, except this wasn't. Complete and utter shit, and not just because it's totally cool to hate from first to last

yes, yes, I am mocking you

no care ever
03:25 PM on 07/12/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.

you had a month to think of a comeback and thats what you had? nice...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos