Username
Password
Money News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Money
Inside AP.net

Help Kickstart a "Pay What You Can"...

Posted by: Jason Tate (05/20/13)
Greg McKillop (Speaker for the Dead) has started up a Kickstarter to fund a "pay what you can" recording studio.
The idea for this project comes from my own personal experience of recording bands for years (and being recorded myself) both in and out of pro audio environments. There is a huge gap between the "we just formed a band and need a demo" level and the "I am an established artist ready to go into a real studio environment with a producer and record a full length album." There are very few options for entry level artists to produce examples of their work to shop around and get gigs, and thus they end up spending thousands of dollars to record a CD when they have not had a chance to learn about their own chemistry within their project yet.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
12:00 PM on 05/20/13
lowerthanwill
User Info.
this is a really great idea
12:00 PM on 05/20/13
left&leaving94
User Info.
Great people trying to do an awesome thing for independent musicians. Definitely worth supporting.
12:03 PM on 05/20/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
That's a pretty cool idea.
12:04 PM on 05/20/13
wall e
@mattobrien37
User Info.
Awesome
12:04 PM on 05/20/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great idea, not so great in practice.
It'll be what it is. It'll be a rag-tag thing centered based on trust.

$1000 goal? Nothing in the description gives me any sort of details that prove to me that this is more than someone wanting to have a room somewhere. I'll gladly donate $500 (outside of Kickstarter) if such details are presented.

What makes this a recording studio? Saying that $2000 covers acoustical treatment and "recording equipment" makes you seem like you have no clue what you're going to do.

The fact that you're focusing on a room being built somewhere for a thousand bucks makes me think you're going to go the "just bring your equipment"-route. That is not a "recording studio" and offers very little that a band can't come up with themselves.
12:06 PM on 05/20/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Would support something like this locally but a great idea nevertheless
12:08 PM on 05/20/13
left&leaving94
User Info.
Great idea, not so great in practice.
It'll be what it is. It'll be a rag-tag thing centered based on trust.

$1000 goal? Nothing in the description gives me any sort of details that prove to me that this is more than someone wanting to have a room somewhere. I'll gladly donate $500 (outside of Kickstarter) if such details are presented.

What makes this a recording studio? Saying that $2000 covers acoustical treatment and "recording equipment" makes you seem like you have no clue what you're going to do.

The fact that you're focusing on a room being built somewhere for a thousand bucks makes me think you're going to go the "just bring your equipment"-route. That is not a "recording studio" and offers very little that a band can't come up with themselves.
As somebody who knows personally the people involved, I can assure you that they're incredibly honest people and this is totally legit. The goal is low because Greg was worried that previous goals on other Kickstarters (for different projects including the Busker Project) he had attempted were too high, seeing as those ones didn't succeed.
12:10 PM on 05/20/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Would support something like this locally but a great idea nevertheless
It's got me actually looking for local things like this in Portland (OR). I gotta assume someone out here has done this ... now I am curious.
12:13 PM on 05/20/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
It's got me actually looking for local things like this in Portland (OR). I gotta assume someone out here has done this ... now I am curious.

having the label now, and meeting new peeps, I know at least a handful of diy recording spaces here. I know for a fact there are some in Portland - they have a pretty serious underground/diy community. A good place to start: figure out where most the bands on Perennial Death are recording and go from there.

I know of a couple super crude setups here that are putting out great releases. I released half a record recorded at one and it sounds great.
12:14 PM on 05/20/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As somebody who knows personally the people involved, I can assure you that they're incredibly honest people and this is totally legit. The goal is low because Greg was worried that previous goals on other Kickstarters (for different projects including the Busker Project) he had attempted were too high, seeing as those ones didn't succeed.

I never said I doubted the people involved. I just said that they need to present some plans. Granted, the video didn't really work for me, but it should definitely be presented in text.

It's ludicrously low, sure, but it still doesn't detail anything. They could definitely reach around 15k (which would still be very low-rag, mind you) if they detailed their plan. The Kickstarter is obviously about getting people involved and more people will want to get involved if they open up their plan to the public.
12:15 PM on 05/20/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I don't live in Portland, but I can think of more than ten active ones. It's _the city_ for that and most of the noise-peeps have moved over to fully fledged lo-fi folk by now.
12:17 PM on 05/20/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't live in Portland, but I can think of more than ten active ones. It's _the city_ for that and most of the noise-peeps have moved over to fully fledged lo-fi folk by now.
Kinda what I assumed.

Go Portland.
12:18 PM on 05/20/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Oops scratch that - perennial death is in Olympia
12:19 PM on 05/20/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Kinda what I assumed.

Go Portland.

It better be non-arranged jams with no substance to be released on tape though, otherwise you're not invited.
I enjoy that type of stuff for what it is because I know how much fun it is to make, so I'm a fan.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests