AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Owel - 05.21.13

Interviewed by
Owel - 05.21.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Owel

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OwelMusic
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OwelMusic
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/OwelMusic

Answers by Jay Sakong

1. How did you get your band name?

There isn't much of a story behind it. I think our drummer Ryan came up with the name. We always wanted something simple that didn't say too much about the band.

2. How did this band get started?

I knew Ryan from high school, and Jane from my childhood. I met Seamus while we were both going to an audio engineering school. Our buddy Dan played bass for us back then, and we were playing as Old Nick. When he left (to spend more time with his family) we reached out through the internet for a new bassist, and that's how I met Pat. We felt with a new member we should probably play under a new name.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We all have really different influences but personally, I'm a huge fan of artists like Radiohead, Sigur Ros, and Apparat. I'm also really influenced by artists like Al Green, Nat King Cole, and Etta James. We referenced those older songs alot when were arranging the strings for our past record.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

That's a really hard question. I can't just name all my idols because I would hate to find out they are secretly terrible people in person. I really like the community of bands that we're playing with right now. We're fans of and also are good friends with bands like Gates, Vasudeva, and Pilots in Orbit.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

It depends where we are. I'm sure bands that tour to New Brunswick are gonna go nuts for the Grease Trucks, or the cheese steaks in Philly.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because they might like it.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

I'm a huge fan of combat sports, mostly MMA. Anderson Silva is the greatest there has ever been, but all the girls love George St Pierre. I'll go with George.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Whoever rigged the Grammys that year.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

That's hard to say. I think it is the way it is mostly because of the consumers. So in order to change anything, we'd have to brainwash the fans, which might just lead us right to where we are now.

10. Memorable tour experience?

We have had some unfortunate run ins with the law. And no there were never any drugs involved.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

I remember checking in on a lot of my favorite bands on Ap since back in the day. So it's really cool to go from that to being written about. You guys have been really cool with everything you've written on us so we are thankful.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

There are a lot of different variables to that question. It really depends on how we're feeling that day, how old the song is, where we're playing it, who we're playing it for, etc. There's a certain period of time after you write a song when you enjoy it the most. It's when it's new enough so that your not sick of it, and yet it's old enough so that you're completely comfortable with performing it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Thailand for sure. Not Bangkok, but the islands in southern Thailand. I went backpacking there with a friend not too long ago and it was amazing. Usually, I'm happiest by a large body of water.

What music reminds you of your childhood?

Smashing Pumpkins. I lived off of Siamese Dream back then. Actually, now that i think about it, I was a huge Boyz II Men fan when I was a little kid. I think they might've been my first favorite musical group, and I'm not even slightly embarrassed.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

It's cliche, but flying would be pretty great.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

We usually pick a song with a lot of harmonies and sing it a capella. It warms up our voices and also just kind of makes us laugh. Usually it's For the Longest Time by Billy Joel.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

When I'm not making music with Owel, I make music for commercials. It's my day job. Seamus is a die hard Dallas Cowboys fan. One time he left his facebook page open on my computer and I changed his profile pick to a picture of the Giants logo. He almost stopped being my friend. Jane just ran a half a marathon for charity. Ryan says, "bro" in every other sentence. And Pat.... hmmm even I don't know. He is a mystery.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

No, I don't see our music ever on the radio. I don't think our songs are short enough. They seem to play the same 10 songs over and over again. And those 10 songs sound exactly the same. I don't understand how they survive like that.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I watch a lot of movies. I used to train in mauy thai kickboxing and jujitsu a lot but I recently moved to downtown Jersey City and I'm having trouble finding a proper gym.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

None that are hidden. I try to show off as much as I can.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
07:08 AM on 05/22/13
deathcabforamy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love this band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles