Username
Password
Kanye West News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Kanye West
Inside AP.net

Why Kanye West is America's Worst Nightmare

Posted by: Keagan Ilvonen (05/22/13)
The Huffington Post has written a well thought out article detailing the rise Kanye West, how he has become the most "egotistical" man in music, the lyrical messages behind "Black Skinhead" and "New Slaves" and more. If you've got a spare ten minutes, I highly suggest giving this a read.
And for as miserable as his wealth has made him by this point (see "Hit the mall, pick up some Gucci/ Now ain't nothing new but your shoes" from 2011's "Murder to Excellence"), he anticipated this back in 2003 in the College Dropout days. Despite being more narratively framed and mildly worded, "All Falls Down" is very thematically similar to "New Slaves" a decade prior: "Shine because they hate us/ Floss cause we the greatest/ We tryna buy back our 40 acres," and yet -- and yet! -- after you succeed in buying back those 40 acres, "Even if you in a Benz you still a ***** in a coupe," "Because they made us hate ourself and love they wealth," "And the white man get paid off of all of that." Sounds pretty familiar -- yes, gasp! in the "good old days" before he "sold out" and "lost touch with himself" Kanye was talking about the same things! Not to mention it acknowledges and does away with accusations of hypocrisy on its own: "I ain't even gon act holier than thou/ Cause fuck it, I went to Jacob with 25 thou..." Like, duh guys, he's painfully aware that he's part of the problem. He hates himself for it. He's still trapped in it. And now he's going to try and find a way out.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 216
01:13 PM on 05/22/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Damn good article.
01:18 PM on 05/22/13
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.

In short, basically this^
01:20 PM on 05/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
The writing, like a lot on Huff Post, bugs me.

"Like duh, guys!"
01:21 PM on 05/22/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
The writing, like a lot on Huff Post, bugs me.

"Like duh, guys!"
Yeah, I could have done without those, but aside from some of her style of writing, the content is all spot on.
01:24 PM on 05/22/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
So great.

"He had all the ideas before; he just wasn't yet in the position to fully unleash them, because not enough people would be forced to hear him in 2003, or even in 2010."

This was honestly the first thing I thought when I heard "Black Skinhead". Other than "Whoa a Marilyn Manson sample."
01:25 PM on 05/22/13
youareallfreaks
thoust dare quoth i?
User Info.
all praise be to yeezus
01:27 PM on 05/22/13
almightykingdom
auri cupiditatem
User Info.
After reading this and internally hearing each song accompanying the lyrical excerpts in the article, West is a profound person. Sometimes we take these people for granted and look at their mishaps, instead of what they've accomplished. Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it.
01:28 PM on 05/22/13
mikeisonfire
User Info.
The most "egotistical" man in music?!

They obviously haven't heard Falling In Reverse.
01:32 PM on 05/22/13
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
I find this funny because I've known all that shit for years, the guy is a god damn moron, (but a genius in his own right)... Yet, I've personally seen countless articles praising him on this site... Make up your damn minds.
01:32 PM on 05/22/13
Sam Zimmerman
User Info.
51-50, I'm off the heezy, you ain't got no fuckin' Yeezy?
01:33 PM on 05/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I find this funny because I've known all that shit for years, the guy is a god damn moron, (but a genius in his own right)... Yet, I've personally seen countless articles praising him on this site... Make up your damn minds.
What?
01:33 PM on 05/22/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
The most "egotistical" man in music?!

They obviously haven't heard Falling In Reverse.
We didn't say biggest loser in music
01:34 PM on 05/22/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
This is praising him? Did you read the article or just the headline?
01:42 PM on 05/22/13
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Great read.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives