AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Blink 182 - Take off Your Pants and Jacket Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.3
Musicianship 8.11
Lyrics 8.21
Production 8.69
Creativity 8.28
Lasting Value 8.64
Reviewer Tilt 8.63
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Blink 182 - Take off Your Pants and Jacket

Reviewed by: hockeyguitar99 (05/24/08)
Blink 182 - Take off Your Pants and Jacket
Record Label: MCA Records
Release Date: June 12, 2001

When this album came out, I was only going into second grade. I had miraculously stumbled upon Blink 182's previous masterpiece Enema of the State not long after, and I've come to the following conclusion: I can now look back and say, no matter how accidental it was, I made my best musical discovery at that young age. Now at the ripe old age of 14, I can fully appreciate what Blink 182 did. When I decided to finally buy Blink-182's entire collection, I can confidently say that this album could be the best $12 I have ever spent.

It's hard to find an album that you can revisit over and over and still find something new and exciting with each listen. It doesn't surprise me that one of those few albums was made by Blink 182. I think it would be impossible to deny the effect that they have had on the modern punk/pop punk scene.

The album kicks off with "Anthem Pt. 2." The track opens with a quick drum roll over a high-pitched guitar line, and the song itself builds out of the into lyrics about how hard it is to be a teenager. Lines like "Signs that caution sixteen’s unsafe" suggest kids don't have any power. When the chorus hits, it builds to the last line that is impossible to escape: "If we're fucked up you're to blame."

"First Date," one of the three hit singles off of the album, can be hard to listen to because it was played to death on the radio. Even so, it is still a great track, despite the fact that it is more mainstream than some of the other songs. "Stay Together for the Kids," another single, didn't do as well as the others on radio, but it is much better. With Mark Hoppus taking the verse and Tom DeLonge taking the chorus, the song reminds one of why they fell in love with the band in the first place. While the sound is more reminiscent of the band's older material, lyrically it is probably the most mature song that they have ever written, dealing with subject matter such as divorce and broken homes. "Roller Coaster" is a fun track that supplies a welcome transition after a serious, much darker song. It has an energetic introduction with Hoppus taking the vocals. The song itself sounds more like a vintage Blink-182 song rather than when they were in their TRL heyday. The album then closes with "Please Take Me Home," which starts as catchy as a pop song can, then shifts into an average punk chorus with the quick drums supplied by Travis Barker and the energy that I've grown to love from these three legends.

Something that I neglected to mention was the way Travis Barker conducts himself behind the kit. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't air drum to every song of this album when I listen to it alone. Barker is arguably one of the best drummers of our time and should be recognized for his excellent skill. On Take off Your Pants and Jacket, he changes seemingly simple drum parts to those that I only think I could play in my wildest dreams.

Like I mentioned at the beginning of this review, Blink-182 changed the face of a genre, if not an industry. While they might not be considered creative as of 2008, they were incredibly influential when they began. Without Blink 182's humble beginnings, bands like All Time Low and even Panic at the Disco probably would not exist, and whether you like them or not, you have to give them credit for the imprint they've left.

Recommended if You Like+44, Angels & Airwaves, Sum 41

myspace.com/blink182

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 87
05:51 PM on 05/27/08
TheOtherAndrew
[UNINTELLIGIBLE SCREAMING]
User Info.
Wow, you're a young one aren't you? I don't agree with you about this album deserving an 89% (its their worst record in my opinion) but I wasn't getting reviews published at fourteen, so more power to ya.
06:38 PM on 05/27/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Wow, you're a young one aren't you? I don't agree with you about this album deserving an 89% (its their worst record in my opinion) but I wasn't getting reviews published at fourteen, so more power to ya.

a lot of people agree with you about it not being there best work but i really like it

and thank you
08:35 PM on 05/27/08
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
a lot of people agree with you about it not being there best work but i really like it

and thank you
So, did you like the album? :-D
09:49 PM on 05/27/08
C.J. Roberts
User Info.
There is no way in hell I could pick a favorite blink album...I love every record in its own special way.
05:59 AM on 05/28/08
ddb43
User Info.
I've always had a hard-on for Blink. This album is probably my fav. I agree w/ you that Travis is an insane drummer. It's hard to believe that you're 14 and knocking out reviews like this. More power to you. Keep'em coming.
10:02 AM on 05/28/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Nice review man. I must say that this is my favorite Blink album as well. I think it's because I was just starting to get into music when this came out. I believe that everyones favorite Blink album depends on where you were in your life more than it does the music. If you are in your early to mid twenties, you will like Dude Ranch. If you are my age or a bit older, it's usually either Enema or this one. Then again you are kind of the acception to this rule aren't you? Haha.

Oh, and Deerfield? Where is that at location wise? I'm from Marshall...
04:37 PM on 05/28/08
dubey
trillest
User Info.

and thank you
haha not really.

If you ask anyone who grew up listening to blink-182, you would be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't have TOYPAJ at least in their top two blink records.

It's one of the best pop-punk albums ever recorded. I have no problem saying that.
05:13 PM on 05/28/08
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Good review. I think this might be my 2nd least favorite blink album but good job anyways.
05:18 PM on 05/28/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Nice review man. I must say that this is my favorite Blink album as well. I think it's because I was just starting to get into music when this came out. I believe that everyones favorite Blink album depends on where you were in your life more than it does the music. If you are in your early to mid twenties, you will like Dude Ranch. If you are my age or a bit older, it's usually either Enema or this one. Then again you are kind of the acception to this rule aren't you? Haha.

Oh, and Deerfield? Where is that at location wise? I'm from Marshall...

it borders highland park and northbrook, its like an hour or so away from downtown i think north
05:49 PM on 05/28/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
it borders highland park and northbrook, its like an hour or so away from downtown i think north

Okay I've been through there a few times I believe. Sweet stuff.
06:24 PM on 05/28/08
TwilightEpidemi
Ain Soph
User Info.
the whole idea of reviewing a blink album on a punk site that originated as a blink fan site seems kinda superfluous. good review. missed the mark by about 4 years, but your never too young to listen to good music.
02:58 AM on 05/30/08
simpleplan1983
User Info.
there is nothing wrong with this album - people that say Blinks best work was pre dude ranch are idiots - TOYPAJ is not superior to EOTS however it has better production and shows more maturity from the band.

Lets be honest people - Apple Shampoo is by far the best song blibk have written and i would have really like to see it re recorded - even if +44 did it.

Good review - your command of grammer and language is brilliant - full marks for getting reviews on here and such a young age
04:08 AM on 05/30/08
Deadbolt01
soundcloud.com/dellauk
User Info.
good review for your age. I can never be bothered. I should probably do one.
05:52 AM on 05/30/08
EvilZeppelin
FUZZZZZZ
User Info.
There is no way in hell I could pick a favorite blink album...I love every record in its own special way.

Agree.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News