AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Parade the Day - To Keep Us Moving Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 5
Production 7.5
Creativity 3.5
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 4
Final Verdict: 58%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.88
Musicianship 5.65
Lyrics 5.68
Production 5.75
Creativity 6.05
Lasting Value 6.1
Reviewer Tilt 6.08
Average: 59%
Inside AP.net

Parade the Day - To Keep Us Moving

Reviewed by: hockeyguitar99 (05/24/08)
Parade the Day - To Keep Us Moving
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 10, 2008

Note: This review was written over a year ago. My opinion of the band and album in general has severely shifted the other direction. The new score reflects that opinion, and not the one that mirrors the writing. The original score was an 85.

I remember when I first stumbled onto Something Corporate, they changed the way I thought about music. The way the heavier guitars and light piano flowed seamlessly together was magical. Since that day, I haven't felt like that; I hadn't found another band that could make me feel that way. Parade the Day brought back that feeling. They proved to me that sometimes a band that recreates a sound can be creative as well.

To Keep Us Moving is piano pop rock at its best. It's catchy and fun, and it contains good technical guitar work and a bass drum that hits hard every time. The vocals fit great with sound, they change tones throughout the EP, and they give each song its own personality.

The opener "American Dream" starts with a guitar line that displays how catchy this band can be without even singing a note. When the rest of the instruments kick in, the piano takes the lead and they show more pop rather than rock. "Now I'm Awake" starts out with a piano that sounds very reminiscent of the Jack's Mannequin song "The Mixed Tape." The rest of the song continues with that similar sound, and while it is a good song, it's overshadowed by the unoriginal melody. "Break This Town" has a terrific intro, and the guitar/drum combination is both heavy and light at the same time. Blending powerpop and rock shows that genre lines don't matter much to Parade the Day. The song "Says Your Wrong" is a personal favorite; the verse starts out with a capella vocals and slowly the drums work their way in before all the instruments swarm onto the track.

The worst part of writing this review was noting the fact that Parade the Day are unsigned. It pains me to see a band with so much talent and potential putting out everything on their own. Unfortunately, the music industry hasn't caught up quite yet. However, when it does, Parade the Day should have no problem breaking out of the underground and straight to the mainstream.

Recommended if You LikeSomething Corporate, The Audition (vocals), piano rock

myspace.com/paradetheday

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
05:17 PM on 05/27/08
Circoheeve
User Info.
I remember when they came up to me at warped 07 and told us to put on headphones and listen to the album. it really was and is amazing. They were nice guys, they all signed it for us.
05:18 PM on 05/27/08
Circoheeve
User Info.
I remember when they came up to me at warped 07 and told us to put on headphones and listen to the album. it really was and is amazing. They were nice guys, they all signed it for us. CHECK OUT THE NEW DEMO CHEMICALS ITS GREAT
07:13 PM on 05/27/08
samxface
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
one of the best bands out there.
such big potential to be huge.
<3
07:14 PM on 05/27/08
laurarose
User Info.
my cousin, her boyfriend and me were at a booth at warped tour '07 when we heard them playing and we were all like who is that? they sound really good. so we went over to watch them and i bought the album and i fell in love with it. i listenend to it everyday for about a month straight.
07:14 PM on 05/27/08
amandamnit
User Info.
i really can't believe that they are not signed. they have become one of my favorite bands. they're addicting and i can't stop listening to them. plus they put on one hell of a live show. if you think them on record is good, you're in for a treat if you get to see them live.

make sure you check them out this summer on warped... they're going to be playing acoustic sets
07:50 PM on 05/27/08
forget_december
http://thanksvb.bandcamp.com
User Info.
great review!

i totally agree with you about getting that soco feeling back! i especially feel it during "says you're wrong", which is my favorite, too. :) i love every song on this EP, and it really should be required listening for any piano-rock fan!

these guys need to get signed NOW!!!
07:59 PM on 05/27/08
i am mclovin
chika chika yeah yeah
User Info.
i really can't believe that they are not signed. they have become one of my favorite bands. they're addicting and i can't stop listening to them. plus they put on one hell of a live show. if you think them on record is good, you're in for a treat if you get to see them live.

make sure you check them out this summer on warped... they're going to be playing acoustic sets

theyve beena band for abrely a year dude, their time will come
08:29 PM on 05/27/08
toe nailz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
theyve beena band for abrely a year dude, their time will come

not really. the band has been together for like 2 years. the current line up about a year...
06:42 AM on 05/30/08
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
Whoah...comparison to SoCo?
I'm definitely checking this out as soon as I can.
10:17 AM on 06/02/08
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
This band is good but very stereotypical. Parade the Day is an awful name, been done a million times before.
07:45 AM on 06/04/08
millieee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band is good but very stereotypical. Parade the Day is an awful name, been done a million times before.

I have to admit that when I heard the name, I was a little hesitant. There seem to be so many bands with 'parade' in the name nowadays... But then I took the time to listen to them, after a reccomendation on last.fm, and I really like them.

I totally agree with the SoCo comparison. They were one of my favourite bands when I was younger, and Leaving Through The Window remains one of my favourite albums.

I hope Parade The Day get signed soon, and maybe come tour over here in the UK!
07:40 AM on 06/23/08
Rxs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Best band EVER.
sad to say that they just broke up
i shed a few tears. but it's an "indefinite" break
so theres hope
04:44 PM on 06/29/08
kigginsthisprov
themichaelkiggins.tumblr. com
User Info.
I miss them :(
05:53 AM on 09/20/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Why the change of mind

"My opinion of the band and album in general has severely shifted the other direction. The new score reflects that opinion, and not the one that mirrors the writing. The original score was an 85."

??
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News