AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Score - Steady Fingers! Steady Fight! Album Cover

The Score - Steady Fingers! Steady Fight!

Reviewed by
The Score - Steady Fingers! Steady Fight!
Record Label: None
Release Date: November 8, 2007
With so many bands under the pop punk classification, it's nice to be able to turn it the other way. Most bands have a lot of pop with a dose of punk here and there. The Score are a punk band that have pop tendencies. They take a lot of the fun from pop and mix it with the volume and the energy of punk; they take one of my favorite genres and flip it on its head.

The Score seem to know exactly what they are doing. It's hard to put a finger on it, but when listening to this EP, there is something about the music that showcases their genius. It seems like every note was thought over carefully and thoroughly examined before being recorded. I believe that the band's recent EP, Steady Fingers! Steady Fight!, sounds exactly like they wanted it to sound.

It's obvious upon first listen that The Score could be something special. Arison Cain's vocals are beautifully misplaced, sounding like they don't belong yet the fit in an incredible way; it's a musical contradiction that I haven't quite figured out yet. The musical elements of this EP don't stray away from punk, but they don't necessarily have to. The drums have a certain pop that don't overpower the song but certainly don't just blend in.

For an unsigned band, production is an issue that comes up constantly. Unfortunately, this album is no exception. While it isn't really the band's fault, they're the ones that are affected by the lack thereof. I sincerely hope that for their next album they can get proper production to better showoff the superb potential glimmering through this EP.

For a young band, lyrics also seem to be one of the bigger issues holding them down. They are hard to describe: some of them are fun, some of them are serious, and some of them are non-nonsensical rambling. It seems that lyrics take experience to improve and most of the lines on this album are average at best and at times, it sounds like they just filled in lines for the need to cover blank spaces.

Overall, they show that genres don't always have to be crystal clear. Sometimes you can flip them around, sometimes you can vary them, and sometimes you can screw around with them completely. The Score do all of these things through their EP, and it is clear they have potential and shouldn't stay unsigned for long.

Recommended if You LikeGreen Day, Alkaline Trio, The Offspring

myspace.com/rockthescore
This review is a user submitted review from hockeyguitar99. You can see all of hockeyguitar99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
04:48 PM on 05/28/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Sweet review.

Question though: Is this somewhat generic? There are a lot of bands that are trying to mimic that Green Day, AK3, Offspring sound. Is there anything that sets this apart from these acts? Just curious because I've been hearing mixed reviews.
06:20 PM on 05/28/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Sweet review.

Question though: Is this somewhat generic? There are a lot of bands that are trying to mimic that Green Day, AK3, Offspring sound. Is there anything that sets this apart from these acts? Just curious because I've been hearing mixed reviews.

his vocals caught my attention but its really not that different from that of green day or ak3
09:41 AM on 06/04/08
mrzippo3
User Info.
found this band on ap months ago, love them. good review
07:56 PM on 06/05/08
nightbird
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Youre 14 years old. You arent allowed to review anything.
11:56 AM on 06/06/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Youre 14 years old. You arent allowed to review anything.

says the guy with one post
01:08 PM on 06/06/08
nightbird
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
says the guy with one post

A 14 year old mind is not capable of forming a really valid opinion on something save for maybe favorite ice cream and RL Stine book. No offense, but your frame of reference is incredibly limited. You are reviewing a record and relating it to the few bands you actually listen to in that genre.
01:34 PM on 06/06/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
A 14 year old mind is not capable of forming a really valid opinion on something save for maybe favorite ice cream and RL Stine book. No offense, but your frame of reference is incredibly limited. You are reviewing a record and relating it to the few bands you actually listen to in that genre.

actually that would be untrue, just because i only chose 2 or 3 bands to relate it to doesn't that those were the only bands that i listen to in that genre. As well as I do have valid opinoins and i also have more reviews posted than you have actual posts so don't say shit about my music opinions.
I'd also say that age doesn't really have anything to do with musical opinions due to the fact that people of completely different ages can like the same music
11:10 PM on 06/09/08
mikado
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hockey, you write very well for a 14 year old. if your age weren't displayed i'd have never guessed you were that young. keep it up, don't let someone's opinion of age deter you from what you're doing.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos