Password

Album Review
Shai Hulud - Misanthropy Pure Album Cover

Shai Hulud - Misanthropy Pure

Reviewed by
Shai Hulud - Misanthropy Pure
Record Label: Metal Blade Records
Release Date: May 27, 2008 (USA)
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Shai Hulud are one of my favorite bands, so to say I was both curious and excited about their new release, Misanthropy Pure, would be a huge understatement. Their third full-length marks their Metal Blade Records debut, as well as the first appearance of vocalist Matt Ian Mazzali, whose raspy screams fit the band's signature sound well. While I don't think he lives up to the ferocity of Chad Gilbert (vocalist from 1996-1998), he out-powers Geert Van Der Velde (vocalist from 1999-2004). The new album can be described as controlled aggression, a fine cross between the band's two previous full-lengths, 1997's Hearts Once Nourished with Hope and Compassion and 2003's That Within Blood Ill-Tempered.

The disc begins with a few seconds of desolate notes before exploding into the first fast-paced verse of "Venomspreader." It's reminiscent of classic Hulud, but with slick production thanks to Greg Thomas and guitarist Matt Fox. This disc has a surprisingly clean sound, which seems odd at first, but it's fitting once you become accustomed to it. The band's technical moments really shine as a result.

The title track is, as the lyrics state, "a plea to vindicate intolerance." Once again, the lyrics are intelligent and thought-provoking, something we don't see too often in the hardcore genre. Then again, the same could be said about the music itself. The disc also contains "Set Your Body Ablaze," which any Hulud fan will recognize as a new version of a song from A Whole New Level of Sickness, their 2000 split with Another Victim. Some may call this an obvious and unoriginal rehash, but it is more like a treat for old fans; the song has never sounded so precise or heavy. Other standout tracks include "Be Winged" and "To Bear the Brunt of Many Blades."

There's something for everyone on Misanthropy Pure. It's melodic, heavy, technical, fast, smart, driven hardcore/metal. Most importantly, it does not disappoint after a long five-year wait, which says a lot. While most early metalcore favorites have changed their sound over the years (Poison the Well, Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, et. al), Shai Hulud remain a force to be reckoned with.

Recommended if You LikePoison the Well, Most Precious Blood, American Nightmare, Blacklisted, Zombie Apocalypse

myspace.com/profoundhatred

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
05:40 AM on 05/29/08
lovemetal24
User Info.
giving the musicianship and creativity a 7.5 is a travesty, especially from a fan...i don't agree at all with this
03:17 PM on 05/29/08
On24Seconds
Oath That Keeps Me Free
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Only have one quip with your review:

You wrote: "Once again, the lyrics are intelligent and thought-provoking, something we don't see too often in the hardcore genre."

What hardcore are you listening to? Bands like Blacklisted, Have Heart, Verse, Blood For Blood/Ramallah, Set It Straight... the list goes on and on, they have phenomenally intelligent lyrics. I'd wager there's more intelligent and thought provoking lyrics in the hardcore genre than in any other genre out there.
07:01 PM on 05/29/08
jbergamotto
Obviously you're not a golfer
User Info.

You wrote: "Once again, the lyrics are intelligent and thought-provoking, something we don't see too often in the hardcore genre."

What hardcore are you listening to? Bands like Blacklisted, Have Heart, Verse, Blood For Blood/Ramallah, Set It Straight... the list goes on and on, they have phenomenally intelligent lyrics. I'd wager there's more intelligent and thought provoking lyrics in the hardcore genre than in any other genre out there.

I think he might have meant that you mostly don't see insightful lyrics from today's metalcore bands because SH could be considered one of the forefathers of that sub-genre. Still, pretty good review.
10:22 PM on 05/29/08
Chris Immunity
Immunity Clothing
User Info.
"While I don't think he lives up to the ferocity of Chad Gilbert (vocals from 1996-1998), he out-powers Geert Van Der Velde"

while i love chad's vocals. i would have to say that Geert is my favorite hulud singer, hands down.
11:45 PM on 05/30/08
knowthisx
brujah brujah!
User Info.
"While I don't think he lives up to the ferocity of Chad Gilbert (vocals from 1996-1998), he out-powers Geert Van Der Velde"

while i love chad's vocals. i would have to say that Geert is my favorite hulud singer, hands down.

Geert had more to work with though, they really branched out on the second full length.
They were both awesome in their own way, I probably was more of a Geert fan too though. New guy sounds pretty damn good.

About the review:
Well written and well put, but I don't agree with the verdict.
06:48 PM on 06/01/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.

You named a handful of exceptions, but the majority of bands playing heavy music today just have the same lame lines about brotherhood, betrayal, girls, etc.

And to those who disagree about the vocalist, well it's obviously a matter of opinion and I felt it appropriate to address mine on the matter. Me personally, I like Chad the best. Geert was kind of grating at times.
06:49 PM on 06/01/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
giving the musicianship and creativity a 7.5 is a travesty, especially from a fan...i don't agree at all with this

Are you saying it should be higher? I figured it was a fair score given that it's nothing new (musically it sounds a lot like their past material) but they're obviously very good at what they do.
11:26 AM on 06/02/08
lovemetal24
User Info.
Are you saying it should be higher? I figured it was a fair score given that it's nothing new (musically it sounds a lot like their past material) but they're obviously very good at what they do.

sure it sounds like their old material, its a little more technical this time around, but no other band sounds like them, because they can't write material that creative. They have sounded the same since day one, and no other band has even come close(except strongarm, but they were first). They could put out 10 more albums and I would still give them a high score for musicianship!
12:10 PM on 06/03/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I wish we had you on staff as a metal/hardcore reviewer...we need coverage there. You should review more stuff so people take notice.
10:13 AM on 06/04/08
yummysushi
User Info.
good review man. but as some of the others said, i don't agree with the final verdict. i think it's one of the best hardcore/metal records to come out in the last couple years. it is extremely creative in the sense that its unpredictable. i love that about a band.

Musicianship and Creativity should be at a 10.

But other than that, you did a great review!
02:25 PM on 06/04/08
screamoutmyname
through being cool
User Info.
not a bad review... i might've given it a higher musicianship rating, but overall... pretty good!
01:44 AM on 06/05/08
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
Good first review, Alex. As Steve said, you should review more; I like to see the metal/hardcore genre covered.
06:22 AM on 06/05/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I will be reviewing more, thank you!
01:51 AM on 06/07/08
doritoz
NICER DICER
User Info.
Quote:
While most early metalcore favorites have changed their sound over the years (Poison the Well, Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, et. al), Shai Hulud are still a force to be reckoned with.

This seems like you stole it from the lambgoat review.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos