AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Polaris at Noon - Season One: The Prospect Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.75
Production 7.75
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.35
Production 9.6
Creativity 9.4
Lasting Value 9.45
Reviewer Tilt 9.9
Average: 94%

Polaris at Noon - Season One: The Prospect

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (05/29/08)
Polaris at NoonSeason One: The Prospect
Release Date: Weekly, Beginning May 6, 2008
Record Label: Unsigned

After Radiohead singlehandedly brought about The End of the Music Industry As We Know It, artists are suddenly feeling empowered to release music in new ways that buck the traditional trends and status quo. Not going down the same path as everyone’s favorite English trailblazers, Jason Suwito, a.k.a. Polaris at Noon, has decided to release his material in a serialized fashion, akin to episodes of a TV show. Part gimmick, part innovation, yet entirely interesting, after The Pilot EP, Suwito’s Season One: The Prospect is in full swing. So, is it worth tuning into?

Listening to any of the “episodes” on Season One, it is readily apparent that Suwito has a real knack for writing excellent pop songs. Perhaps best seen in tracks like “Wasteland,” the verses are engaging, and the hooks are extremely tight (a common theme across the season). And, while songs like this make it seem easy enough to peg Polaris at Noon as a slightly reshuffled Acceptance (or similar), others exercise an uncommon amount of diversity, offering a varied listening experience on the whole. There are straight-up piano rockers (the aforementioned “Wasteland”), glitzy dance-rock numbers (“Misfire”), dynamic pop anthems (“Hell or High Water”), hushed ballads (“Skin and Bones”) and a few alternate takes on these and other styles. All in all, it is good to see an artist testing his own boundaries in this fashion, and the results here are generally favorable.

While Suwito does indeed know how to work toward the edges of his own boundaries, those lines themselves do little to challenge convention. Musically, the work on Season One is solid, if fundamentally unremarkable (until of course, you consider this is all the product of one person). There are glimpses of excellence embedded in some tracks, but overall, pretty standard fare. Likewise, vocally, Suwito is certainly competent – he carries his melodies well, and works comfortably within his range – not pushing the envelope, but still pleasing to the ear nonetheless. Even with these constraints, Polaris at Noon proves its ultimate skill as a pop act in that is all comes down to the songwriting – not lyrically, but in all of the other elements of construction that make so many of the tunes here enjoyable and catchy.

Overall, it is undeniable that Jason Suwito is one hell of a musical talent. On Season One, Polaris at Noon gives listeners a little bit of this, a little bit of that – and all of it is pretty damn good. The willingness and ability to embrace so many influences is a rare one in musical artists, and hopefully one that will help Suwito and his songs to stand out from the crowd. Coupling this proficiency with a clever take on the idea of what an “album release” really means, there is more than enough reason to plug into Season One: The Prospect.

Recommended if you like: Acceptance, We Shot the Moon, Waking Ashland, Something Corporate, Jonezetta

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
09:39 AM on 05/29/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
12:37 PM on 05/29/08
alilbravetoaste
http://www.thefairweathered.com/
User Info.
He's becoming one of my favorites. He does a good job.
12:58 PM on 05/29/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I thought this was awesome in that it didn't get high marks but you were still very complimentary and fair. You need to review on a daily basis, seriously Steve, your stuff is so refreshing.
I agree with pretty much most of what you said, though I think playing to the "tv" theme was a bit corny.
That aside, solid, bro, solid. Cheers mate!
01:01 PM on 05/29/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I thought this was awesome in that it didn't get high marks but you were still very complimentary and fair. You need to review on a daily basis, seriously Steve, your stuff is so refreshing.
I agree with pretty much most of what you said, though I think playing to the "tv" theme was a bit corny.
That aside, solid, bro, solid. Cheers mate!
Thanks man - much appreciated.
02:34 PM on 05/29/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
hm sounds good. nice write up mate.
02:45 PM on 05/29/08
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I've been enjoying this quite a bit so far. I like the idea and concept and the music is pretty good
03:04 PM on 05/29/08
Gustavatron.
9:13
User Info.
7 songs in I have 7 songs that I kind listen to on repeat forever.
It's constant listening material.

This was a good review. Probably fair, but I don't know (it's just too unfair that you've heard Skin and Bones).
12:12 AM on 05/30/08
shortfart
User Info.
Good, finally people are seeing that he's got something awesome to offer.
01:22 PM on 05/30/08
mattstoerr
Good Morning Orbit
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this review is entirely fair in the regards that the music is not entirely new and out of this world, but the aspect that it is entirely done by one person is astounding. I know that it was touched upon, thus making this not an argument just a restatement of that fact.

Jason is someone that has a knack for bringing the music scene to it's knees by doing it his own way. he doesn't have a label or a producer to appease. if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to do it. he only has to please himself and i wish that more bands could follow that path. in the end it's about being happy with what you are creating and you can tell that Jason is.
06:35 PM on 05/30/08
nhoium
YNWA
User Info.
I want to thank you for this review,
or else I probably wouldn't have found/listened to this.
Not really into poppy stuff anymore, but damn this is good.
04:41 PM on 06/01/08
deadfuck_ISBACK
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
does this have hey sandy on it?
05:44 AM on 06/06/08
4N6 science
You look nice today.
User Info.
I just read this review, and I listened to the EP and I'm buying it today.. This is some good stuff.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS