AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 9
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.17
Lyrics 7.08
Production 8.58
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.83
Reviewer Tilt 7.33
Average: 79%
Inside AP.net

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

Reviewed by: alice+interiors (05/29/08)
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Record Label: Capital / EMI
Release Date: August 26, 2002

Deciding that merely one Coldplay review was not enough, I came to the conclusion that I should probably do all three, but I'll have to do it in reverse chronological order, because I started with X&Y. A Rush of Blood to the Head is Coldplay's second album, released in 2002. Riding on the back of 2000's Parachutes and especially "Yellow", this was Coldplay's chance to blow away any opposition and to cement their position as Britain's best and most popular indie band. As you may well know, Coldplay achieved this, and moved themselves to do a whole lot more besides.

Opening track "Politik" is a strong album opener and probably the right one to choose to start off the record. But what it excels at is climaxing perfectly into the sheer brilliance to follow. "In My Place" is a heartfelt song of sorrow and misery which Chris Martin and co. channel superbly into that somewhat depressing, vibrant tone that is Coldplay's trademark. The music complements the soothing, emotional vocals which made this song an obvious choice for a single release, and a big one at that. "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" is an altogether different song; lyrically Martin sounds much more in control of what he is delivering, stating his case in a happily proverbial style.
"The Scientist" and "Clocks" represent another type of mood, both portraying Martin's reminiscence of past times; times of regret, betrayal and hurt. All of the latter four songs were successful single releases in the UK, and it's no coincidence this was the case.

That in no way should be read as a statement of disappointment in the remaining six tracks, however. "Daylight" is a far more upbeat, anthemic song which possesses a repeated motto: "slowly breaking through the daylight" is the infrastructure upon which the other parts of the song work around, to create a much more controlled, solid effort, rather than the breezy, depressing sound usually known.

"Warning Sign" is similar to this, with more emphasis on musical aspects, rather than Martin's excellent vocal abilities. The last two tracks, the title track and finale "Amsterdam" are sorrowful, emotive songs which make a moving exit for this album, one key addition to any music collection.

In hindsight, this is a major achievement for Coldplay at this stage of their career. It could still be bettered (see X&Y) but for only a sophomore album, A Rush of Blood to the Head is an astounding creation. It has a variety of musical styles in only 11 tracks, and not once is there a track which I would skip over. All four singles also excel, and I would easily rank this album within my top twenty of all time.

Recommended If You LikeTravis, Athlete, being indecisive

myspace.com/coldplay

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
01:48 AM on 06/06/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
After reading your writing, I can't believe how young you are/look.
02:44 AM on 06/06/08
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
awesome album. good review.
04:52 AM on 06/06/08
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Agreed.
05:06 AM on 06/06/08
4N6 science
You look nice today.
User Info.
well done on the review..

well written for a 14 year old.
05:44 AM on 06/06/08
MADSTA
~
User Info.
I'm liking all the Coldplay love I've been seeing lately. Nice review!
07:21 AM on 06/06/08
alice+interiors
|
User Info.

awesome album. good review.

well done on the review..

well written for a 14 year old.

thanks guys, it's always appreciated.

I'm liking all the Coldplay love I've been seeing lately. Nice review!

thanks!
i think i kind of started it off with the official thread, reviews, news etc loll.
i should really stop haha.
09:14 AM on 06/06/08
MADSTA
~
User Info.
thanks!
i think i kind of started it off with the official thread, reviews, news etc loll.
i should really stop haha.
Stopping is not needed. I don't mind at least.
02:27 AM on 06/07/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Good to see a 14-year-old on this site who has actually been paying attention in English class.
02:35 PM on 10/27/08
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
Good to see a 14-year-old on this site who has actually been paying attention in English class.

Or reality in general.
09:30 PM on 09/24/12
Koushyar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great great album. I think it has been their best album up to now, and I don't think they will be able to top that.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests