AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Mindless Self Indulgence - If Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 6.25
Production 7
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.56
Musicianship 8.56
Lyrics 8.13
Production 9.06
Creativity 9.56
Lasting Value 9.38
Reviewer Tilt 9.44
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Mindless Self Indulgence - If

Reviewed by: ikikwe (05/29/08)
Mindless Self Indulgence - If
Record Label: The End Records
Release Date: April 29, 2008

I wanted to hate If. I wanted to hate If so badly. I was actually almost positive I would, as I was unimpressed with the sneak previews of sorts that Mindless Self Indulgence had been showcasing for a while, and after the train wreck that was Another Mindless Rip-Off, I had grounds to be wary.

But alas! I was pleasantly surprised. If is not only fun and energetic, but the entire band was involved in production this time! The album kicks off with the high-octane “Never Wanted to Dance,” which is a great opener, and an even better choice for a single. “Evening Wear” follows in a similar vein, but I was certain my preconceived notions for the album were wrong when I heard “Lights Out.” The song is reminiscent of the incredibly energetic songs on Alienating Our Audience with its fun filled chorus, but luckily it’s not a retread of old ground. Unfortunately, the album hits rocky ground with the next four tracks. “Prescription” isn’t awful, or even that bad, but it seems to act as filler, as does “Issues.” Although, I must admit, “Issues” is a bit catchy, but it just comes off as uninteresting placed in between “Prescription” and the lyrical mess of “Get It Up.” Now, I am quite aware of the ridiculousness of saying that Mindless Self Indulgence lyrics are a mess when most of them are jokes anyway, but the lyrics here are just trite. Lead singer Jimmy Urine ponders his erectile dysfunction harshly: “It must be your face / Or it’s your body / If it ain’t your body / Then it must be your face,” but in all truth, I too would have trouble being aroused if this song was playing while attempting to have sex. They are almost a re-hash of the lyrics to the “Shut Me Up” demo, and those were ditched for a reason: they sucked.

But, “Revenge,” oh “Revenge.” I loved the original version performed live on Alienating Our Audience, but this one makes me want to scream. It’s like a director took his masterpiece of a film, and remade it by shitting onto film. Fortunately, the album picks up with “Animal” and continues onward in a good direction. “Pay for It” isn’t great, and I prefer the demo, but I do still enjoy it. “Due” feels like another filler track that could easily have been cut, but my personal favorite song is “Bomb This Track,” a hip-hop influenced blast. It’s so fun, so catchy, so awesome. The album ends well with “Mark David Chapman,” a song released early last year that was written with the help of fans.

Initially worried about the newest album from Mindless Self Indulgence, I found myself dancing to it by the last track and have continued to do so with ever subsequent spin. Granted, this is not Tight or Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy, but it’s a more tongue-in-cheek version of You’ll Rebel to Anything… but better, actually. There were a number of tracks that could have and should have been cut, and unfortunately Jimmy Urine’s vocals have almost lost their signature falsetto ring, but you can only ask for so much, and I am definitely content with If. By the end of the record, as Urine’s voiced screamed pleas for another Mark Chapman to “thin out this herd” of shitty bands, I was worried by how close Mindless Self Indulgence had come to fitting into that vast array of artists. One can only hope that their future endeavors do not teeter so close to trash.

Recommended if You LikeThe Birthday Massacre on speed, Retard-O-Bot, fun music with inane lyrics, Rabbit Junk, Tub Ring

myspace.com/mindlessselfindulgence

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
01:11 PM on 06/09/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Solid first review. Good work.
01:19 PM on 06/11/08
ikikwe
I'm looking for the upsides
User Info.
Thank you!
12:23 AM on 08/21/08
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
Good review. Im loving this album.
07:45 PM on 09/27/08
csofran2
User Info.
Had me hooked for weeks. You were spot on about the lyrics though, they are ridiclous, but that is expected with this band.
03:34 AM on 11/19/08
the best zombie
when all else fails...learn to fall
User Info.
This cd makes me not give a shit. I love it entirely. Good review though. However, I do agree with csofran2 in that the lyrics are to be expected with this band. If you are not into their style of music, you would not enjoy their if cd.
06:08 AM on 07/01/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
love tight and if... alos frnakenstein.... ****** and mark dave chapman rule... even if only one is on this album if you really dig deep though, you can see an undertone meaning to their songs... (see ******)
10:22 AM on 05/21/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
i have to disagree some cuz they're one of my favorite bands, but nice review :)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums