Password

Album Review

The Virginmarys - King of Conflict Album Cover

The Virginmarys - King of Conflict

Reviewed by
The Virginmarys - King of Conflict
[color=DimGray]Release Date: February 4, 2013
Record Label: Wind-Up Records

It’s still rock and roll to me. The Virginmarys have nothing in common with Billy Joel, but on King of Conflict the band delivers an unadulterated rock record. If you’re looking for anything more, or anything less, the English trio has no interest in appeasing on their debut full length. This is a rock record, complete with a topless woman on the album cover and a picture of the band dressed in black on the backside.Screeching guitar and vocals abound, relentless drumming, no frills, no apologies.

Notwithstanding the occasional angry Arctic Monkeys impression, featuring the slow motion British drawl and blunt storytelling, for the most part The Virginmarys go full on ACDC. Such is the case with the opening track, and first single, “Dead Man’s Shoes.” After some introductory strumming the track starts off aggressive and only gets louder as it progresses. If the lyric “No guarantees... so I guess I’ll do what I choose” sums up the attitude of The Virginmarys then the opening track tells you all you need to know about the band. King of Conflict is a British rock record that covers the standard rock staples of women and booze. Most impressively, even after showing their hand on the first track The Virginmarys succeed in keeping the listener interested and engaged throughout the remainder of the album.

That is in large part due to the band clearly being students of the rock game. The Virginmarys separate themselves from the majority of modern rock acts by borrowing plenty from the past forty years of rock music without becoming a rehash of some tried and true but stale point on the British rock timeline. By fusing their modern rock sound with bits and pieces from various influences the band manages to continue intriguing over twelve tracks without ever allowing their aggressive nature to subdue. In the end, it’s still rock and roll to me. And that is refreshing.

www.thevirginmarys.com

Recommended If You LikeRock and Roll
This review is a user submitted review from ohgodohnoiam. You can see all of ohgodohnoiam's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version