AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Property of Zack News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

POZ Decade: Brand New's "Deja Entendu"

Posted by - 07:18 PM on 06/04/13
PropertyOfZack has posted a new "Decade" article featuring Brand New's Deja Entendu here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
08:11 PM on 06/04/13
aoftbsten
Go Buffs.
User Info.
Can't believe it's almost been 10 years now. I still rock out to "Jaws Theme Swimming" and the rest of the album on a regular basis.
08:21 PM on 06/04/13
ACA
Next Shows: MC Lars @ NYC 11/22
User Info.
The band's best record, which is saying a lot.

Unrelated to how fantastic DE is, these features are cool, but they're always written so poorly.
08:24 PM on 06/04/13
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.

Unrelated to how fantastic DE is, these features are cool, but they're always written so poorly.

What are your concerns with the writing?
08:28 PM on 06/04/13
Amongster
Still In Last Place
User Info.

Bingo.
08:34 PM on 06/04/13
ACA
User Info.
What are your concerns with the writing?

The most obvious and non-subjective items are spelling errors, inconsistent formatting, and poor grammar. It reads like a message board conversation, not a piece of journalism.

Articles like this would benefit from a (trained) editor, especially since it's a collaborative effort by kids who don't have an English / journalism background.
08:48 PM on 06/04/13
DryLikeADrum
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I remember a decade ago when I bought this record. Putting it in the cd player and just being utterly perplexed (in a good way) at what I was hearing. I was 13 and it quite literally rocked my world.

Hands down this is the most influential album of my life. There are few things in the world that I love more than I love Brand New and more specifically this album. Hats off to them for making an album with staying power. My love affair with Deja is my longest relationship to date.

Oh yeah, and I still don't regret my "Tautou" tattoo MOM. :)
09:01 PM on 06/04/13
ACA
User Info.
There are few things more in the world that I love more than I love Brand New and more specifically this album.

There are no weak tracks -- no other BN album can claim that feat. It also creates a certain mood on record ("Tautou" is a big part) that few other albums capture in such a big way. It has most of the band's best songs, including what might be their best ("Sic Transit Gloria"). Live, the record's songs always work, and the band has a habit of playing around with the execution.

It was definitely the inspiration for me to learn guitar -- I just HAD to know how to play the first half of the record.

For me, the album works best in the fall when you're wearing a hoodie, watching the leaves change on a chilly, sun-setting afternoon. Ah.
10:24 PM on 06/04/13
mka12992
polarisamour.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I love Deja and all, but TDAG is superior.
10:41 PM on 06/04/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
There are no weak tracks -- no other BN album can claim that feat. It also creates a certain mood on record ("Tautou" is a big part) that few other albums capture in such a big way. It has most of the band's best songs, including what might be their best ("Sic Transit Gloria"). Live, the record's songs always work, and the band has a habit of playing around with the execution.

It was definitely the inspiration for me to learn guitar -- I just HAD to know how to play the first half of the record.

For me, the album works best in the fall when you're wearing a hoodie, watching the leaves change on a chilly, sun-setting afternoon. Ah.
It is a great album but I agree with mka12992 that TDAG is their best album. That album is hauntingly good and has no weak tracks.
11:13 PM on 06/04/13
Dave Diddy
I knew better, I just didn't care
User Info.
I remember popping this cd in for the first time and thinking like, woah what the hell is this? This isn't pop punk. His voice sounds different. But after a few spins I was obsessed with it. Remains one of, if not my favorite album of all time.
11:16 PM on 06/04/13
mka12992
polarisamour.bandcamp.com
User Info.
It is a great album but I agree with mka12992 that TDAG is their best album. That album is hauntingly good and has no weak tracks.
Yeah dawg.
01:06 AM on 06/05/13
Timmerton120
Timmy Sampana
User Info.
10 year anniversary vinyl please!
06:18 AM on 06/05/13
albertad
User Info.
I love Deja and all, but TDAG is superior.

I think I have to agree as well. TDAG is significantly more mature lyrically and the songs are definitely structured better than Deja Entendu.
06:22 AM on 06/05/13
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
10 year anniversary vinyl please!

I hope.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles