Album Review

A Thousand Times Repent - Virtue Has Few Friends Album Cover

A Thousand Times Repent - Virtue Has Few Friends

Reviewed by
A Thousand Times Repent - Virtue Has Few Friends
Record Label: Tribunal Records
Release Date: March 11, 2008
Who?

Yet another Christian metal/death"core" band, this one hailing from Atlanta, Georgia. Virtue Has Few Friends is a six song EP complete with a few pig squeals and a triple guitar assault.

How is it?

If you're still reading, it means you have some interest in bands of this ilk. The ridiculously titled "Curses! Another Shape-Shifting Wraith!" opens the album on a strong note, as the instrumentation is strong and varied. "A Band of Hunters Stalk in Edo" surprised me a bit, as it shows a very mellow side of the band in the latter half of the track after the normal heaviness. The clean singing voice and soft instrumentation on this track is one of my favorite parts of the EP, and left me wishing the band would go that route more consistently.

While the rest of the EP is mostly more of the same metalcore, the album closer "Complete Relinquish. Utter Abandon" is a surprise piano ballad, and is easily the best track on the EP. The singing is strong and confident, and the track features above average lyrics and a catchy piano line. This track had me sitting completely still, staring into space, and I wish there were more like it. A Thousand Times Repent feature talented musicians and a good clean vocalist, but the metalcore parts are so overdone that I didn't fully enjoy it. The clean parts and particularly the closer save this EP from being totally forgettable, though, and I recommend checking the band out if you're an ardent fan of metalcore.

Recommended if You LikeWinds of Plague, The Devil Wears Prada, Christian metal(core), With Blood Comes Cleansing

myspace.com/athousandtimesrepent
This review is a user submitted review from princesschad. You can see all of princesschad's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:36 PM on 06/18/08
Mochem
User Info.
I'm not really into this kind of music, but I do like Winds of Plauge for whatever reason, and the review makes it sound worthy enough to check out.
12:00 PM on 01/22/10
slimjim21991
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Although it may seem a bit generic at first, this is one of my favorite releases. Anyone who is a fan of any metal/deathcore should check this album out, it is definitely worth a listen, and doesn't really get old.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos