06:38 AM on 06/08/13
Comedy Round-Up Contributors: Cody Nelson, deadkidsean, deanster321, ImTheSheriff, itsmesean0630, PepsiOne, phaynes1 and Star Slight
1. You can check out a trailer for Ragnarok, John Hodgman's 'one man show/doomsday seminar,' here. The special will premiere exclusively on Netflix on June 20th.
2. UCB has released the goddamned unbelievable line-up for the 2013 Del Close Marathon.
3. Speaking of UCB, 'High-Status Characters,' the book chronicling the creation and rise of the improv cornerstone, is now available for purchase on Barnes & Noble's website. I'm about halfway through, and it's an amazingly informative read.
4. In a bit of sad news, details have emerged about UK comic Stephen Fry's recent suicide attempt.
5. Myq Kaplan (who, in a few days will be all over this site) killed it on Conan last week.
6. As did Andy Kindler on Letterman.
1. Don't forget: Starting Monday, John Oliver will be taking over summer hosting duties for The Daily Show.
2. It looks like the door has completely shut for cancelled ABC sitcom Happy Endings.
3. Perpetually proving it's the little show that could, Community creator Dan Harmon recently confirmed his return for the show's upcoming fifth season. He's also probably watching season 4 right about now.
4. FX has canceled Brand X after two seasons and made Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell nightly.
5. After being briefly revived, HBO has canceled Eastbound and Down yet again. The show will end after its not-yet-produced eight-episode 4th season, premiering on September 29th.
6. Nick Offerman can now add 'published author' to his resume.
7. Some details about the upcoming TV iteration of Drunk History have emerged (premiering on Comedy Central July 9th), and it all sounds really great.
8. Gillian Jacobs landed the female lead role in the upcoming Hot Tub Time Machine sequel, prompting a mini-Community reunion.
9. Nathan Fielder is messing with people again, and I'll be honest, these were a lot funnier when they weren't so obviously fake.
10. In an ingenious move, the sequel of 21 Jump Street has officially been titled 22 Jump Street.
11. New comedy offshoot FXX has announced its first original program: an Danny McBride-produced animated program based in the world of hip-hop.
12. Chris Addison will star alongside Jo Joyner in Trying Again, a sitcom co-created by Addison and Simon Blackwell.
13. Conan O'Brien has been chosen to host Carson on TCM, a new series based around classic Johnny Carson Tonight Show sketches.
14. Always. Sunny. Philadelphia. Fín.
15. Steve Agee has some promising work coming up.
16. Bob Odenkirk will be writing and, for the first time in his career, starring in the upcoming comedy Girlfriend's Day. The rumored supporting cast is out of this world.
17. The cast for IFC's The Spoils of Babylon keeps on getting better.
18. Two weeks after the fourth season of Arrested Development went up, joke guides and fan edits have begun to surface.
19. David Mitchell’s upcoming panel show Was It Something I Said? will also feature Richard Ayoade and Mickey Flanagan as team captains.
1. Adam Scott (Splitsider)
2. Kings of Summer director Jordan Vogt-Roberts (Splitsider)
3. Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer (Splitsider)
4. Henry Winkler (LA Times)
5. John Oliver (Vulture)
Next Week's Late-Night Guests
Carson Daly: Deon Cole (W), Katie Dippold (Th), Kurt Braunohler (F)
Chelsea Lately: Kerri Kenney-Silver (Th), Matt Braunger (F)
Conan: Vince Vaughn & Owen Wilson (M), Jonah Hill (T), Kumail Nanjiani (W)
Colbert/Oliver: Seth Rogen (M; Oliver), Armando Iannucci (T; Oliver)
Fallon: Seth Rogen & Jeffrey Tambor (T)
Ferguson: Jonah Hill (M), Seth Rogen (Th)
Kimmel: Jay Baruchel (Th)
Leno: Kevin Hart (W)
Letterman: Russell Brand (M), Dana Carvey (T), Dylan Moran (Th)
1. An English Comedian in Paris
2. Going Back to Stuckeyville: Looking Back at Ed
3. Googling The Internship Stars
4. An Oral History of UCB Theater Partying and 'Awkward Sexuality'
1. Stand-Up Bit of the Week: Sean Patton - "People Who Fight At Bars"
2. Web Video of the Week: McKeever Comedy - "Samesies" (Be sure and watch this, guys. It's so damn funny.)
3. Muddleberry - "Teachers Lounge by 7th Grader David Mason"
4. The Greatest Event in Television History - "Hart to Hart"
5. Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee - "Season 2 Trailer"
6. The Lonely Island - "Spell It Out"
7. This Is Not Happening - "TJ Miller Has A Seizure"
8. The Onion - "The Internship Poised to be Biggest Comedy of 2005"
9. Speakeasy with Paul F. Tompkins - "Tony Hale"
10. The Bilderbergers - "The Step"
improv4humans #84 - Double or Nothing with Todd Glass, Anthony King, Alex Fernie and Ben Rodgers
Comedy Bang! Bang! #222 - A Peanut in the Rain with Paul F. Tompkins, Gillian Jacobs and Mike Hanford
Nerdist #364 - Josh Homme
Doug Loves Movies - Seth Rogen, Martin Starr, Evan Goldberg, Moises Arias and Nick Robinson
The Duncan Trussell Family Hour #69 - Monsanto Presents: Pete Holmes
@kumailn: Man of Steel should have done that thing where they're like "it's not Zod we promise his name is Craig or something" & then boom it's Zod!
@robdelaney: "Wheeeeee!" - Glenn Danzig, riding an owl around a graveyard
@rad_milk: *pirate man voice* all hands on dick
@ChelseaVPeretti: If you charge $14 for a salad that salad should be perfect. #socialactivism
@hortonatonto: "Doctor, are you telling me the US military engineered a bioweapon that only infects 13-23 year olds?" "Yes...only 90s kids will get this"
@frankieboyle: @officialtulisa I hope you don't go to prison, but I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't turn me on
@doctorveritas: These fellows on the bodybuilding forum seem like a good source on what is and is not gay.
@jdelwoo: there's no gay cruise company called Around the World with Eighty Gays and it's like god do i have to think of EVERYTHING
@WyanRilson: [takes off puka shell necklace] "Ahhhh finally" I say to myself as the tsunami of pussy comes to an end
@electrolemon: "Whoa. Bro, this is totally swaggy." "There's that word again, 'swaggy.' Why are things so swaggy in the future?" - BACK 2 THE FUTURE (2014)
Sources: twitter.com, earwolf.com, chortle.co.uk, nerdist.com, mixcloud.com, duncantrussell.com, youtube.com, vulture.com, splitsider.com, latimes.com, deadline.com, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, teamcoco.com, delclosemarathon.com,
As always, if you have any news to submit or just want to know more about the world of comedy, PM me or go to the Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread. We're knowledgable, friendly, and the best.
06:54 AM on 06/08/13
what were the always sunny videos?
they've all been removed
06:55 AM on 06/08/13
The Stephen Fry news genuinely made me upset to the core. I'm very aware of his mental illness and what he goes through being an incredibly avid and devoted fan of all of his work (also, see: avatar here), but the fact that he felt that uneasy so recently makes me so upset. I downloaded the video interview where he reveals the details and am
so pleased that he is back on track with his medication and in a good place. I would, as would pretty much every single person in the UK as he is a genuine national treasure, be devastated if he did leave us.
The English Comedian In Paris article was interesting and as it mentioned, makes me think of when Eddie Izzard performed his routine over there and how great it was. Highly recommend hunting down the documentary which takes you through how he does it and includes some of the performances.
06:56 AM on 06/08/13
Every cloud is in your way
Feeling some sadness about Happy Endings.
06:59 AM on 06/08/13
The trailers for the new season. Changed the link, try it now.
07:28 AM on 06/08/13
I gotta pick up that UCB book.
EDIT: Shit, it's only $2? Fucking bought.
07:52 AM on 06/08/13
Is the UCB book only available as a nook? Is there a hard copy version... or will there be one?
07:56 AM on 06/08/13
Really looking forward to the rest of the "This Is Not Happening" series
08:06 AM on 06/08/13
Can't wait for new Eastbound And Down!
08:12 AM on 06/08/13
That Odenkirk movie sounds absolutely fantastic
08:49 AM on 06/08/13
I was wondering with Myq was up to. He was my favorite on that one season of Last Comic Standing.
09:22 AM on 06/08/13
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
kinda shocked about Stephen Fry
10:12 AM on 06/08/13
sometimes it hurts instead
Also Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter have a podcast coming out
Buy The Music