AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hot as Sun - Night Time Sound Desire Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Hot as Sun - Night Time Sound Desire

Reviewed by: JamieTheSonger (06/16/13)
Hot as Sun - Night Time Sound Desire
Record Label: Last Gang Records
Release Date: March 26, 2013

When I’m sad, there’s a strong desire to wallow in the pain with some like-minded individuals that record themselves crying and put it on a CD. Sometimes I don’t even feel THAT sad until I listen to some sad guys validating my sadness. I had no idea that I could have replaced all that sadness with bliss by simply listening to Silverlake, L.A. based electro-pop group Hot As Sun’s debut Night Time Sound Desire.

The airy electronic beats lead the way for vocalist, Jamie Jackson who flexes her vocal chords like she’s straight out of a 50’s girl group. Jackson can compete with well-established genre staples displaying dexterity throughout the record as the instrumentals can go from the simple indie-pop to hip-hop to the theatrics. As she harmonizes with herself on the title-track and transports you to a place that sounds a lot like beauty, you might stop listening to the lyrics but it doesn’t really matter because that's not the point.

Now there’s a lot of music out there that should make you happy. I mean pop music is supposed to be joyous and celebratory but most of those songs disregard the general shittiness of life. On this record, instead of being swept under the rug and then pretending not to see the huge lumpy rug full of shittiness; we see a firm decision to be happy. From the second track, “Stop Talking” makes you believe talking is pointless and dancing is the only thing that really matters even if it’s only for three minutes.

In a genre where less is more, Night Time Sound Desire is just over ten minutes short of hitting the one hour mark and unfortunately the time does not fly by. While Hot As Sun does a lot to try to keep you guessing, the experimentation does not fare well and the songs that are not as straightforward lack the catchiness to have real staying power. It’s just a bit too easy to tell when they are leaving their comfort zone.

This band may not be “indie-sweethearts” just yet but the potential with some fine tuning is obvious. The tracks that do work, work well enough to make them stand out from a crowd of imitators. Don’t be surprised if you hear a song by these guys in the next commercial for rich, happy people wearing cool sunglasses.

Recommended if you likeelectro-dream-indie-notpop-pop

Listen for free then buy for $10

Official Website

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums