Password

Album Review

Misser - Distancing EP Album Cover

Misser - Distancing EP

Reviewed by
MisserDistancing
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: May 27th 2013
Side projects of musicians can either be great, or mediocre. A side project implies that the side band won’t be as great as the musician’s “regular” band, but in some cases, that’s definitely not true. Fall Out Boy vocalist Patrick Stump released a solo EP and a full length after Fall Out Boy went on hiatus, and that was just as great as Fall Out Boy, because it really showed his talents without the band, so he could finally shine on his own. That’s one example where a side project is great, and another, is Boston, Massachusetts pop-punk duo Misser, who is comprised of Tim Landers from Transit, and Brad Wiseman of the now defunct This Time Next Year. The duo turned heads last year with a self-released EP Problems, Problems, Problems, and then releasing their debut full length Every Day I Tell Myself I’m Going to Be a Better Person, which was very enjoyable. It was a pop-punk record in the vein of Transit and bands like that. It was a very wonderful record, and easily one of my favorites of the year. This year, of course, Transit released their new record Young New England to mixed reviews; it was a rather disappointing record for many people, including myself. It was enjoyable, but it lacked what made last record Listen and Forgive absolutely wonderful. Finally, it’s Misser’s turn in the spotlight, and I must say, I’m more enthralled with this than the new Transit album. Misser is a great band because they share Transit’s sound of indie-rock meets pop-punk, but they’re not totally alike, either. They’re still different, partially due to Tim Landers’ deeper vocals (he does perform backing vocals on some Transit tracks), but their overall sound is similar, yet still different. While Transit takes on more of the indie side, Misser seems do the opposite and focuses more on pop-punk. They really impressed me with Every Day I Tell Myself, so how does sophomore EP Distancing measure up? Well, in all honesty, it’s short, sweet, to the point, but great. It’s a really nice follow up to Every Day I Tell Myself, but frankly, I wish they would’ve released a full record. The only problem is that it’s way too short, because 12 minutes for a band that great is just ridiculous. Of course, I’ll take what I can get, but even then, this EP does feel like it runs way too quickly. That’s the only problem I have with it, but other than that, let’s dive into this EP, shall we?

The EP starts off with “Goddamn, Salad Days,” which was the first song released from the EP, and I remember listening to it once or twice, but waiting to listen to it more when the EP came out. Surprisingly, this is the longest song on the EP at about 3 minutes. The songs on this EP are way too short, and it’s a shame, because I wanted to hear more by them. Nonetheless, that’s a minor problem, and it can be overlooked, because what we, the listeners, get here is fantastic. Despite the songs being short, they are great, either way. “Goddamn, Salad Days” may be the longest song, but it’s not the best song. It’s a nice track to get things started, though, because it does bring to mind earlier Misser, aka their first EP. Second track “Infrared” is one of my favorite tracks, frankly; it’s my favorite, along with closing track “Slow It Down // Write It Out.” “Infrared” also brings to mind earlier Transit, but clocking in at only 2 minutes, it’s a rather short song. Following that, third track “Burn Out” is another really enjoyable track, and it’s the second longest song at being about three minutes as well. It’s a very catchy song, and another “classic” Misser song. Fourth track “Alone, Die” is the shortest track at under two minutes, and it’s rather forgettable. It’s a straightforward pop-punk track, and while it’s good, it’s just rather forgettable, because it stops just as quick as it starts. Finally, however, last track “Slow It Down // Write It Out” does what it says – it’s a very slow track, almost reminiscent of “Stay Asleep” from the band’s last record, because it was very slow, relaxing, and a very “breezy” track. This song has a nice indie sound to it, and one thing I really love are the lyrics at the very end, which go, “I won’t sleep until sleep gets me. I won’t cheat death until death cheats me.” I don’t know what it is about those lyrics, but they’re absolutely brilliant. This song ends the EP quite nicely, even if it’s only about 12 minutes. Like I said, I am rather disappointed that we didn’t get another full length, but getting anything is still good. If you enjoyed the last two Misser releases, you really don’t want to miss out on this one. Get it?

Recommended If You LikeTransit, The Story So Far, The Early November, Real Friends, I Call Fives, Forever Came Calling, pop-punk, etc, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Goddamn, Salad Days
2. Infrared
3. Burn Out
4. Alone, Die.
5. Slow It Down // Write It Out

Misser is:
Tim Landers
Brad Wiseman

www.facebook.com/missermusic
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
04:09 PM on 06/23/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
Good review. This is just some general advice for all of your reviews, they could benefit from being broken up into smaller paragraphs, the big paragraphs can seem really daunting particularly on a mobile device.
10:02 AM on 06/26/13
meanmedianmoge
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with jake above, smaller paragraphs means less bulk to read while conveying your message better! anyways, this EP is very very good and I wish Tim Landers would make Misser his full time project.. but it's missing the intensity of the full length last year

great review, keep working at it dude!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version