AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Round-Up News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Australian Music Round-Up (06/16/13)

Posted by - 08:45 PM on 06/16/13
Head to the replies to read this week's Australian Music Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
08:45 PM on 06/16/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Thanks to Sam and Ben for putting this together.

Australian Music Round-Up
]NEWS

House Vs Hurricane have announced they’ll be calling it a day in the coming months with appearances on the East Coast Rampage tour and River Sessions festival being their last shows, though the possibility of a farewell tour has not been ruled out. You can read their statement here and stream/download an unreleased track called Tripping Up here. The band released an EP and two full-lengths in their time together, their last being 2012’s Crooked Teeth which received an ARIA Award nomination for Best Hard Rock / Heavy Metal Album.

Soundwave Touring head honcho AJ Maddah has had some less than kind words to say regarding City And Colour’s Dallas Green via twitter. The comments were made in relation to a fan asking about the likelihood of Soundwave bringing Green back to Australia. Green has stated in a recent interview that City And Colour were overlooked for a spot on next year’s Big Day Out festival.

You can stream the hotly anticipated new Empire Of The Sun album Ice On The Dune in full here.

Bad Astronaut, The Ataris and Snuff have been added to the line-up for the Hits And Pits 2.0 festival in November. Earlybird tickets are on sale now.

Karnivool’s long-awaited third album Asymmetry is due for release July 19 through Cymatic Records/Sony. Along with this week’s national tour announcement (details below), the band have premiered the video for first single We Are which you can check out here. Asymmetry is up for pre-order in regular and deluxe editions here.

Melbourne independent label Midnight Funeral will be ceasing full-time operations at the end of 2013 according to a statement by label manager Craig Wainwright. The label will be limiting its workload to only one or two reissues per year as of 2014. Over the last four years the label has produced vinyl releases and reissues for a variety of artists such as Against, Milhouse, Confession, Mindsnare, Darren Gibson and more. You can read the statement here and check out the MF webstore here.

Watch Wil Wagner perform I Can’t Feel My Face and More Like Signals Midbest acoustic here as part of the newest edition of theMusic Sessions.

Hands Like Houses have released a lyric video for the track Introduced Species which you can watch here. The song comes from the group’s upcoming sophomore album Unimagine which will see a release July 23 through Rise Records.

Brisbane post-hardcore outfit Travels will release Death And Things Between on 7” vinyl late July through Arrest Records. Pre-orders are available here and you can listen to a track from the effort entitled My Dearest here. The band will also be sharing the stage with La Dispute and Pianos Become The Teeth June 28 at The Hi-Fi, Brisbane.

Far Away Stables have released a cover of the Benny Benassi and Skrillex collaboration Cinema. You can take a listen and download the track for free here.

The Decline’s Dan Cribb has released a track from his upcoming solo EP The Memories Last. Check out It Never Ends here. The Memories Last is Cribb’s first solo release and features contributions from Nick Diener of The Swellers. Pre-orders are available through Pee Records as of June 21.

Sydney singer-songwriter Andy Bull has landed a deal with US label Republic Records ahead of his next album.

Tonight Alive have posted a lyric video for their new song The Ocean. Take a look at the video here. The band’s upcoming album The Other Side is due for release September 10 via Fearless.

Details for all-ages Sydney mini-fest A Softcore Gathering… have been revealed. The event will take place at the Metro Theatre on September 15 with US acts Hit The Lights and State Champs to headline. Joining them will be Heroes For Hire, Skyway, Milestones, Monuments, Strickland, Breakaway, Your Weight In Gold, Sunsets, Atlantis Awaits and Thesis. Limited earlybird tickets are available here.

Pee Records have signed riot grrrl influenced Adelaide quintet She’s The Band. Their debut album One From The Top Shelf will be released early August with pre-orders available soon.

Buried In Verona have released a new video for the song I Am Hate. The track appears on their upcoming Notorious: Reloaded CD/DVD package which hit stores this week via UNFD. Check out the clip here.

Melbourne heavy outfit The Rose Line have released a lyric video for new single Take On The World. The group’s debut album Consequences is slated for an August 23 release through New Justice Records. Check out the video here.

THE CHARTS

As expected, Bernard Fanning has taken the #1 spot on the album charts with his new effort Departures. Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories is still selling well at #3, Black Sabbath’s comeback record 13 debuted at #4 and Queens Of The Stone Age dropped to #6 with …Like Clockwork. Elsewhere, Jimmy Eat World’s Damage debuted at #26 and Wolfmother’s Andrew Stockdale came in at #32 with his solo record Keep Moving.

TOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS

AUSTRALIAN ARTISTS

Adelaide’s Hightime will be touring the East Coast in the next month in support of their latest album Ishi Prende and its subsequent live DVD.

21/06 - Uni Bar, Adelaide [18+]
28/06 - Pan Studios, Geelong [AA]
29/06 - Reverence Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
11/07 - Surfers Paradise Beergarden, Gold Coast [18+]
12/07 - The Time Machine, Nambour [AA] *AFTERNOON*
12/07 - Commercial Hotel, Nambour [18+] *NIGHT*
13/07 - Jubilee Hotel, Brisbane [18+]
19/07 - Dicey Riley’s, Wollongong [18+]
20/07 - Hermann’s Bar, Sydney [18+]
21/07 - Venue TBC, Newcastle [18+]

Gearing up for the release of their second album are Adelaide outfit Grenadiers. They’ll be heading up to Queensland for three shows in July with support from Army Of Champions and Firearms.

18/07 - Surfers Paradise Beergarden, Gold Coast [18+]
19/07 - Hotel Norville, Toowoomba [18+]
20/07 - Crowbar, Brisbane [18+]

Karnivool will be heading out in late July / early August in support of their upcoming third album Asymmetry, with Northlane supporting on all shows. Tickets are on sale June 20.

30/07 - Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide [LIC/AA]
01/08 - Town Hall, Melbourne [18+]
02/08 - Town Hall, Melbourne [18+]
04/08 - Luna Park Big Top, Sydney [LIC/AA]
07/08 - Eaton’s Hill Hotel, Brisbane [18+]
11/08 - Metro City, Perth [18+]

On the back of new album Glorious Momentum which will see a release June 28, Sydney’s Isaac Graham will be hitting the road in July and August with his three-piece band The Great Unknown. Album pre-orders are available here.

19/07 - Yours & Owls, Wollongong [AA]
26/07 - The Bunker, Coogee [18+]
27/07 - Lass O’ Gowrie, Newcastle [18+]
01/08 - Crowbar, Brisbane [18+]
02/08 - Purple Carrot, Bellingen [18+]
03/08 - Star Hotel, Macksville [18+]
09/08 - Crown & Anchor, Adelaide [18+]
10/08 - Public Bar Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
14/08 - Lizotte’s, Central Coast [18+]
15/08 - Phoenix Bar, Canberra [18+]
16/08 - Black Wire Records, Sydney [AA]
17/08 - Commercial Hotel, Milton [18+]

INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS

Local supports have been announced for Japanese heavyweights Boris’ Australian dates. Aside from performing at the Dark Mofo festival in Hobart the band have the following shows lined up in which they’ll be playing their classic third album Flood in its entirety.

19/06 - Corner Hotel, Melbourne [18+] w/ Margins
21/06 - Manning Bar, Sydney [18+] w/ Dead China Doll
24/06 - Rosemount Hotel, Perth [18+] w/ Eleventh He Reaches London

Local supports have also been announced for Youth Of Today’s July tour which coincides with their appearance on the Hardcore 2013 festival. Here’s a reminder of the dates and venues.

09/07 - Amplifier Bar, Perth [18+] w/ Break, The Others
10/07 - Enigma Bar, Adelaide [18+] w/ Vigilante, Crisis Alert
11/07 - Reverence Hotel, Melbourne [18+] w/ Vigilante, Right Mind
12/07 - Crowbar, Brisbane [18+] w/ Vigilante, It Runs Deep
13/07 - The Hi-Fi, Sydney [18+] *Hardcore 2013*
14/07 - The Hi-Fi, Sydney [AA] *Hardcore 2013*

The UK’s Rolo Tomassi are headed back to Australia in September and October for a run of dates supported by Totally Unicorn and Stockades. Tickets are on sale July 1.

25/09 - Amplifier Bar, Perth [18+]*
26/09 - Enigma Bar, Adelaide [LIC/AA]
27/09 - Reverence Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
28/09 - Brisbane Hotel, Hobart [18+]*
29/09 - Wrangler Studios, Melbourne [AA]
02/10 - Magpies Club, Canberra [18+]
03/10 - Croatian Club, Newcastle [LIC/AA]
04/10 - Bald Faced Stag, Sydney [18+]
05/10 - Black Wire Records, Sydney [AA]
07/10 - Yours & Owls, Wollongong [AA]
10/10 - Crowbar, Brisbane [18+]
11/10 - Sun Distortion Studios, Brisbane [AA]
12/10 - Saleyards Club, Rockhampton [AA]
*Stockades not appearing.

Every Time I Die will return in October for 5 shows after appearing as part of the Big Day Out festival earlier in the year. Tickets are on sale June 20.

18/10 - The Hi-Fi, Brisbane [18+]
19/10 - Manning Bar, Sydney [18+]
20/10 - Corner Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
22/10 - Fowlers Live, Adelaide [LIC/AA]
24/10 - Amplifier Bar, Perth [18+]

CLIP OF THE WEEK

Cloud Control are gearing up for the release of their third album Dream Cave. This week the guys dropped a clown-laden video for first single Dojo Rising which you can check out below. The follow up to 2011’s Bliss Release was produced by Barny Barnicott (Arctic Monkeys) and is due September 17 through Votiv Records.

Contributors: BennyNova and GeologyRocks!

10:56 PM on 06/16/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
House Vs. Hurricane broke up? Damn.
12:13 AM on 06/17/13
OdourlessHobo
woop woop woop
User Info.
AJ is so fucking up himself it's beyond stupid now. It's not hard to see why so many people have had beef with him in the past (Travis barker included). If you're an organizer, conduct yourself in a better manner. Talking shit about Dallas green now, I applaud the cunt.
01:16 AM on 06/17/13
katietheskatie
walking on a wire on the ground
User Info.
was keen to see the ataris, but not into the other bands on the 'festival' (?) lineup and am hesitant to drop like $90.
01:35 AM on 06/17/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
AJ is so up himself. He's taking all of his festivals away from Perth because he sees WA as a "nothing state" and that the state is "full of complainers"

Yes, I understand the irony.
03:42 AM on 06/17/13
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
AJ is a wanker but also a shrewd and ruthless business man. He's effectively killed off BDO. He makes all bands that tour Soundwave sign a contract saying that they'll only tour Aus on the festival or under SW Touring which blocks any other festival having the bands play. My friend I were talking to some band members/people about it the last few festivals. One band member was raving about how great the bands are treated and how good it is to come to Australia, etc, etc but he saw things slightly differently when my friend pointed out that she'd love to see them play a headliner rather than a 30-40 min set at a festival and some of her friends won't see their fave bands because they can't afford to shell out for a SW ticket.

Also, everyone should be checking out Hightime. They're awesome.
05:03 AM on 06/17/13
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Lil B tour wrapped last night. It was the most beautiful, inspirational and magical thing I have ever witnessed.

Also a Cartel/Lydia tour was just announced today. Yay Lydia.
05:18 AM on 06/17/13
tomdavidmax
User Info.
AJ is so up himself. He's taking all of his festivals away from Perth because he sees WA as a "nothing state" and that the state is "full of complainers"

Yes, I understand the irony.
Uh, no, WA cops the short end of the stick due to shitty councils, and music fans not buying tickets to gigs and supporting the scene.
07:05 AM on 06/17/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Uh, no, WA cops the short end of the stick due to shitty councils, and music fans not buying tickets to gigs and supporting the scene.
I have no answer to this, because it's true. Sad, but true.
03:14 PM on 06/17/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
AJ is so fucking up himself it's beyond stupid now. It's not hard to see why so many people have had beef with him in the past (Travis barker included). If you're an organizer, conduct yourself in a better manner. Talking shit about Dallas green now, I applaud the cunt.

As much as he's festivals have given me a lot of joy. He is such a prick of a man AJ.
03:17 PM on 06/17/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
was keen to see the ataris, but not into the other bands on the 'festival' (?) lineup and am hesitant to drop like $90.

I feel the same. No one else I want to slightly see bar them

That pop punk festival??? So SKYWAY Is back together?????

New Empire of the Sun album is soooo good. Tops their last album as every song is good on it now. No filler.
I'm calling it. Better than Daft Punks. Easy

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version