AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
UndertheGunReview News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
UndertheGunReview
Inside AP.net

UTG Editorial: Questioning Jay-Z's Partnership...

Posted by: Drew Beringer (06/17/13)
Under The Gun have posted a new editorial in which they question Jay-Z's partnership with Samsung.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
10:19 AM on 06/17/13
eriatarka24
User Info.
loooool
10:20 AM on 06/17/13
ACA
Next Show: MotionCitySoundtrack @NY
User Info.
It's a good question, and this is a pretty decent writeup on the situation.

I'm a pretty big music geek and go to 1-2 shows a week, so I have a lot of friends who also love music (and see as many if not more shows). I don't know a single person "in real life" that has bought a single album, either plastic or digitally, in what must be 3-4 years (this doesn't count acoustic instore performances that require album purchase).

"Sales figures" are wildly inaccurate now to judge the number of people listening to your albums (this isn't news), but tacking on the ability to corporately pay for millions of sales is a good discussion point.

It's too bad stuff like last.fm isn't more widely integrated. At least among its users, it paints an awesome, accurate view of what's popular and being listened to. I love my account -- it has every song I've listened to for the last few years. Cool numbers to see.
10:27 AM on 06/17/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
"The success of an album’s sales should be based on how the public reacts to that artist’s newest offering, not how much a corporation is willing to invest in said artist. I have no doubt that people will claim the million downloads, thus creating a future argument that those albums would have been sold regardless, but until those consumers weigh in and say they would in fact have bought the record on their own volition, there is no proof. As it stands now, a million copies of an album no one has heard are waiting to be given away for free. There may be demand to hear that product, but that doesn’t mean a million people with Samsung phones are so excited for Jay-Z’s new album that they would buy it the week it came out based on blind faith in his talent."

This this this this this. I'm a huge Jay-Z fan, but these corporate bought albums shouldn't count towards first week sales. But at the same time, those people who get the free album who WILL have bought the albums...I dunno. This is just weird.
10:28 AM on 06/17/13
James Shotwell
User Info.
Care to expand on this thought?
10:30 AM on 06/17/13
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.
Bet Jay has an iphone
10:31 AM on 06/17/13
James Shotwell
User Info.
"The success of an album’s sales should be based on how the public reacts to that artist’s newest offering, not how much a corporation is willing to invest in said artist. I have no doubt that people will claim the million downloads, thus creating a future argument that those albums would have been sold regardless, but until those consumers weigh in and say they would in fact have bought the record on their own volition, there is no proof. As it stands now, a million copies of an album no one has heard are waiting to be given away for free. There may be demand to hear that product, but that doesn’t mean a million people with Samsung phones are so excited for Jay-Z’s new album that they would buy it the week it came out based on blind faith in his talent."

This this this this this. I'm a huge Jay-Z fan, but these corporate bought albums shouldn't count towards first week sales. But at the same time, those people who get the free album who WILL have bought the albums...I dunno. This is just weird.
It's a bit confusing. WSJ only knows how much was paid for the albums, but actual details of the deal are still widely unknown. If you're making a couple million for a spokeperson deal, that includes the company buying a million copies of your album at a discounted rate, I don't think said million should count towards Neilsen. Then again, some could argue its like when artists attach 'free' albums to concert tickets then count each seat sold as an album sale, only in a B2B sense.
10:32 AM on 06/17/13
ACA
Next Show: MotionCitySoundtrack @NY
User Info.

Jay-Z is definitely a wealthy musician (largely due to his other ventures), but I wonder if someone else with a bit more disposable income could put something together to break sales records using these types of sales.

I'm not ignorant enough to just say "sales charts don't matter" -- they do, for better or for worse. But when you see bands (especially in the more underground genres) sell more tickets than albums, you have reevaluate the importance of these figures, at least on some level(s).

I hope these numbers do count, just to show how "broken" the system can be. But it would be nice to see a human side of the recording industry step in and disallow it, too.
10:32 AM on 06/17/13
James Shotwell
User Info.
Bet Jay has an iphone
He's using a Galaxy in the video, but with some internet sleuthing I'm sure one could find the truth.
10:34 AM on 06/17/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
It's the same as Amazon and Lady Gaga. Anyone who gave that shit and not this is confused.
10:35 AM on 06/17/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
S_C_: If 1 Million records gets SOLD and billboard doesnt report it, did it happen? Ha. #newrules #magnacartaholygrail Platinum!!! VII IV XIII
10:35 AM on 06/17/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
It's amazing how opposite this approach is to Yeezus.

Has Jay-Z sold a million first week on any albums yet? I don't think he has.
10:36 AM on 06/17/13
JordanKTM
Right Back At It Again
User Info.
It's called marketing
10:36 AM on 06/17/13
James Shotwell
User Info.
Jay-Z is definitely a wealthy musician (largely due to his other ventures), but I wonder if someone else with a bit more disposable income could put something together to break sales records using these types of sales.

I'm not ignorant enough to just say "sales charts don't matter" -- they do, for better or for worse. But when you see bands (especially in the more underground genres) sell more tickets than albums, you have reevaluate the importance of these figures, at least on some level(s).

I hope these numbers do count, just to show how "broken" the system can be. But it would be nice to see a human side of the recording industry step in and disallow it, too.
I can understand the argument about why charts shouldn't matter, but from an industry/business perspective they most certainly do. To say Sleeping With Sirens opening at #3 isn't going to catapult them into bigger opportunities would be foolish. The people with the money to invest in talent care quite a bit about chart positions. Jay-Z being #1 goes beyond perceived value in his music and into his overall brand value.
10:37 AM on 06/17/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
It's a bit confusing. WSJ only knows how much was paid for the albums, but actual details of the deal are still widely unknown. If you're making a couple million for a spokeperson deal, that includes the company buying a million copies of your album at a discounted rate, I don't think said million should count towards Neilsen. Then again, some could argue its like when artists attach 'free' albums to concert tickets then count each seat sold as an album sale, only in a B2B sense.
You make a very good point. Hmmmm. I'm really, really not sure how I feel about this move haha.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests