AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Paramore News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Feature: Paramore's Larger-Than-Life Presence

Posted by - 08:30 AM on 06/18/13
I watched Paramore play in New York City a few weeks ago, and just decided to write a blog kind of about the show I saw, but mainly about how this band has transformed into something much larger than the group we first heard about on this website years and years ago. Hit the replies to read the feature story.
That’s a pretty scary plateau for a band to reach. At that point, you’re as much of a rock band as you are superheroes. Paramore is at an unparalleled level in its career where they’ve turned into role models, celebrities, you name it. They aren’t a punk band playing a show for kids who go to shows every week...but rock stars playing for all types of people. I saw a group of probably 17-ish-year-old girls freaking out and crying during “Let the Flames Begin,” but not 10 feet from them was a guy in probably his late 30s, nodding his head with the rhythm on his own. That’s the kind of reach Paramore has

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
08:30 AM on 06/18/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Pararamore BlogThroughout the early and mid 2000s, we saw a lot of bands start out in this small world of pop-punk and pop-rock and move on to greater things. When the radio liked pop-punk and MTV played music videos regularly, it was more common to see bands like Yellowcard and New Found Glory gain attention on a wider level. But very few bands have truly hit the mark on crossing over into mainstream music...and been able to stay there.

Paramore is perhaps the only currently active band that has crossed over perfectly, maintaining their core audience while growing their reach exponentially. But this band’s rise to massive-ness is something that their recently released self-titled LP doesn’t even do justice; you have to watch them play live to fully understand what Paramore is capable of.

I saw Hayley Williams & Co. play a few weeks ago at Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. Before that, the last time I saw them was six years ago, at a festival in South Florida while they were supporting Riot! They weren’t even on that festival’s main stage.

We know that Williams is talented -- perhaps so talented that it’s something we take for granted now, we expect it. If she wasn’t as talented as she is, Paramore would never have had the chance to achieve what it has achieved. But even considering how magnificent she sounds on Paramore, where she’s made the most strides is in her stage presence. She may be a tiny person, but she’s become a larger-than-life force on stage, a dynamic wrecking ball capable of doing...probably almost anything.

Paramore is not a band I think about a lot. They exist to me, and I fully enjoy their music, but I didn’t really think too hard about what I was walking into at that show that night. Because of that, maybe I wasn’t ready to fully experience what I saw at Hammerstein. Not in terms of watching the band play a rock show, but in terms of what the crowd would be like. There were little girls with their parents, their hair dyed pink, or orange, or red. Like Hayley Williams. There were kids here who were, most likely, at the first concert of their young lives. Kids who probably spent two months counting down the days until they could sing along to Paramore. Experiencing something that might determine the level at which they fall in love with music for the rest of their lives.

That’s a pretty scary plateau for a band to reach. At that point, you’re as much of a rock band as you are superheroes. Paramore is at an unparalleled level in its career where they’ve turned into role models, celebrities, you name it. They aren’t a punk band playing a show for kids who go to shows every week...but rock stars playing for all types of people. I saw a group of probably 17-ish-year-old girls freaking out and crying during “Let the Flames Begin,” but not 10 feet from them was a guy in probably his late 30s, nodding his head with the rhythm on his own. That’s the kind of reach Paramore has.

Luckily for them, they’re more than equipped to handle the spotlight. Jeremy Davis and Taylor York play wonderfully alongside each other. They’re terrific musicians and they’re entertainers -- a duo that can effectively provide Paramore’s backbone for the rest of the band’s career. But it all traces back to Williams and how she is capable of zipping and bouncing around the stage at a zillion miles per hour, turning a 3,900-capacity monster of a venue into a one-on-one interaction between her and every single person watching.

As incredible as it may be to think about, Paramore’s potential continues to bubble, and soon it will boil over. Williams is 24 years old. It’s quite possible that she hasn’t even reached the prime of her performance years yet. And Paramore proves that Williams, Davis and York have come into their own as songwriters, showing they can produce a high level of creative output. Paramore is a larger-than-life entity right now, but we might still be watching them grow.
08:38 AM on 06/18/13
esposimi
The Human Fund
User Info.
I was at that show. Audience was crazy, standing at the barrier it really was an amazing sight to see that whole place full.
08:47 AM on 06/18/13
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hammerstein Ballroom is actually 3,900-capacity.
08:50 AM on 06/18/13
jorbjorb
User Info.
could have just replaced this article with "they're famous now"
ps i really dig the new record
09:08 AM on 06/18/13
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was at their concert in Milan, Italy last week and felt exactly the same. Crazy show, one of the best in my life.
09:11 AM on 06/18/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Hammerstein Ballroom is actually 3,900-capacity.
damn for real?!
09:16 AM on 06/18/13
ACA
Next Show: Balance&Composure 12/27
User Info.
That was a great show. You didn't include the setlist, so here it is, in case anyone is keeping score at home.

Interlude: Moving On
Misery Business
For a Pessimist, I’m Pretty Optimistic
Decode
Now
Renegade
Pressure
Ain’t It Fun
The Only Exception
Let the Flames Begin
Fast in My Car
Ignorance
Looking Up
Whoa
Anklebiters
That’s What You Get
Still Into You
Proof
Brick by Boring Brick

Paramore totally killed it. Their self-titled record is probably my favorite album of the year so far, too. It's crazy to think they keep getting better with every release, don't know too many bands that can say 4 > 3 > 2 > 1.
09:41 AM on 06/18/13
luqmanhakim
Registered Member
User Info.
Been watching a lot of their live videos recently, and yes they're quite the entertainers as much as they are musicians. It does help that they have 'big-sounding' songs, which I guess contributes to the larger-than-life feels at times. They used to exist to me too, now they're becoming one of my favourite bands.
09:43 AM on 06/18/13
dontswimtoshore
User Info.
one thing that bugs me about Paramore is how yes, they have really exploded as a band, and they are this sort of brand of 3 people, when to achieve the sounds of their last album specifically, they are actually a 6 person stage show. The Farro brothers were really talented dudes that brought a lot of chops and attitude to Paramore's sound. With their departure, they've employed some really killer players to fill those gaps and keep that momentum and talent up in the studio and on the road. Paramore is essentially half of the actual band that puts on their shows, which is kind of weird if you think about it. That sort of arrangement is usually reserved for pop artists like Rihanna, not pop-punk/pop-rock bands. It promotes the idea that Hayley is actually the one who is being sold and marketed while Davis and York are attached to her to make it look like they are a complete band, as they once had been.
09:56 AM on 06/18/13
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah. I assume you've been to Roseland? That's 3,500. Hammerstein is clearly (though slightly) bigger, especially with the balconies.
10:06 AM on 06/18/13
anamericangod
User Info.
one thing that bugs me about Paramore is how yes, they have really exploded as a band, and they are this sort of brand of 3 people, when to achieve the sounds of their last album specifically, they are actually a 6 person stage show. The Farro brothers were really talented dudes that brought a lot of chops and attitude to Paramore's sound. With their departure, they've employed some really killer players to fill those gaps and keep that momentum and talent up in the studio and on the road. Paramore is essentially half of the actual band that puts on their shows, which is kind of weird if you think about it. That sort of arrangement is usually reserved for pop artists like Rihanna, not pop-punk/pop-rock bands. It promotes the idea that Hayley is actually the one who is being sold and marketed while Davis and York are attached to her to make it look like they are a complete band, as they once had been.
Tons of bands have background players to fill in live to flesh out songs. If you think that the three members of this band can't still put on an amazing show, you're very much mistaken.

Alright article or feature, but far from your best, Thomas.
10:06 AM on 06/18/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 730 bands!
User Info.
That place is gigantic. Only been there once for Flogging Molly and they didn't come close to selling the place out. Good for Paramore to sell it out. Next up arenas?
10:07 AM on 06/18/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
You're right, no band has ever had touring members that aren't a part of the actual band. Ever.

Fun fact: they've had a third guitarist on stage since at least 2008, when the Farro Bros. were still in the band. It's not like them leaving meant that they suddenly added in all these extra people. You can see at least two extra people playing instruments on the Final Riot DVD. So really, marketing them as a three piece is just an extension of what they've been doing all along-- being a band with extra touring members that they don't necessarily have on the album.
10:20 AM on 06/18/13
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
Quote:
Hayley Williams & Co.

Hayley Williams & Co.!!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music