Password

Album Review

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III Album Cover

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

Reviewed by
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
Release Date: June 10, 2008
Record Label: Cash Money/Universal/Young Money
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Dwayne Carter, Jr., also known as Lil Wayne, is one of the most controversial rappers in the mainstream today. Already claiming to be the “greatest rapper alive” and topping many hip-hop critics lists as the hottest rapper in the game right now, his highly anticipated third chapter of Tha Carter is upon us. Anticipation grew more and more as the record kept getting pushed back and delayed, it makes one wonder if the anticipation and hype will be too much for the New Orleans rapper to overcome.

It’s not like Wayne was just lying around doing nothing. A workaholic, he released numerous mixtapes between Tha Carter II and Tha Carter III and appeared on many, many tracks throughout the hip hop universe. But now it’s time to deliver with Tha Carter III, and the verdict is mixed.

Accompanied with an all-star lineup of producers, Tha Carter III is at its best when the beats hit hard and Weezy lets loose, but dips when he takes on the slower, more R&B oriented beats. You see, Weezy’s appeal is his quick flow and delivery, and when he slows it down, he struggles. Also, his lyrics are more inconsistent than ever, as it seems that he knows he’s hot right now and that people will just eat this up, regardless of substance. Or sometimes he is just baked out of his mind and his lyrics make no sense, or he repeats a line numerous times, as if he can’t think of what to say next.

But Weezy is at his best on tracks that are quick from the get-go and hit you over the head with booming bass, such as “A Milli.” If you disregard the annoying repetition in the background, it’s a huge song where Wayne is unleashed. While “Phone Home” is a ridiculous song, you can’t help but smile at Weezy channeling his inner UFO, and the Twilight Zone-like beat is nuts. “La La” is a David Banner produced joint, with Weezy and Cash Money accomplice Brisco give off good vibes, but the song is taken down a few notches with a poor verse from Busta Rhymes.

Weezy falters the most when he slows it down, such as on “Comfortable,” which features Babyface. It’s just not his style at all and really does a disservice to his delivery. Kanye West delivered the beat for the aforementioned track, as well as for “Tie My Hands,” “Shoot Me Down,” and “Let The Beat Build,” which are all good Kanye beats and would fit his style, but are hit or miss for Weezy. On “Tie My Hands,” Weezy gets serious and delivers some of his best lyrics, rhyming about the Katrina tragedy, while “Shoot Me Down” has more of an alternative vibe to it with marching beat drums and a guitar riff that needles in and out. But the worst song by far on this album is “Lollipop,” which coincidentally is his biggest hit ever, making all the way to the top of the Billboard Hot 100. But nothing about it works. It’s too slow, Wayne’s lyrics are weak, and his flow is ruined by the use of a vocoder. It’s easily one of the first songs I skip on the album.

But the best song on the album is “Dr. Carter,” a creative track with a unique beat from Swizz Beatz. Taking on the concept of a doctor that has to save hip-hop and struggling rappers, Wayne steps up his lyrics while giving props to other rappers such as Kanye and Andre 3k, as the beat moves with a smooth jazz vibe backed by a vibrant bass line and subtle yet efficient horns.

Other tracks are strong because of their guests, such as “Mr. Carter” which features a killer verse from Jay-Z, while “You Ain’t Got Nuthin’” is carried by Juelz Santana, and “Got Money” will be a huge hit in the club, with help from R&B crooner, T-Pain. “Don’t Get It”, the closer, clocks in at nearly ten minutes, with about 5 of it dedicated to the song (which is decent), and ending with Weezy smoking a blunt and babbling about why people don’t like Al Sharpton, discusses how coke dealers are handled in the court of law, basically summing up how people “speculate before they informate,” and how that causes problems and misunderstandings. It’s a cool way to close out the album, with Weezy being somewhat socially conscious.

At the end of the day, Lil Wayne is a talented hip hop artist, but is inconsistent throughout Tha Carter III, showing glimpses of being the greatest, but other times coming off as nonsensical. Basically, C3 is a step down from Tha Carter II, but it has its moments, and if you are a fan of Weezy, you’ll be a fan of this. Don’t get me wrong, I greatly enjoy Lil Wayne, but in no way, shape, or form do I think he is the greatest alive. If he could deliver lyrics and go hard consistently on one of his label releases like he does on his mixtapes, then we could consider the argument, but until then, we’ll hold off. But for right now, we’ll settle with him being one of the hottest MC’s in the mainstream right now, but with work to do.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. 3Peat (Produced by Maestro)
2. Mr. Carter Feat. Jay-Z (Produced by Infamous)
3. A Milli (Produced by Bangledesh)
4. Got Money Feat. T-Pain (Produced by Play-n-Skillz)
5. Comfortable Feat. Babyface (Produced by Kanye West)
6. Dr. Carter (Produced by Swizz Beatz)
7. Phone Home (Produced by Cool & Dre)
8. Tie My Hands Feat. Robin Thicke (Produced by Kanye West)
9. Mrs. Officer Feat. Bobby Valentino (Produced by Deezle & Wyclef Jean)
10. Let The Beat Build (Produced by Kanye West & Deezle)
11. Shoot Me Down Feat. D. Smith (Produced by Kanye West)
12. Lollipop Feat. Static Major (Produced By Deezle & Jim Jonsin)
13. La La Feat. Brisco & Busta Rhymes (Produced by David Banner)
14. Playing With Fire Feat. Betty Wright (Produced by StreetRunner)
15. You Ain’t Got Nuthin’ Feat. Fabolous & Juelz Santana (Produced by The Alchemist)
16. Don’t Get It (Produced By will.i.am)

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 149
11:27 PM on 06/05/08
softcoeur
Miss America
User Info.
truth. he's put out some of the best mixtapes of the past couple years, it's a shame this one isn't as solid. can't wait to give it a shot though.
11:39 PM on 06/05/08
JohnnyTruant
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love Wayne so I'm a little biased, but I dig this album. It's way better than I thought it was going to be anyways.
It's gonna get multiple listens all through the year I'm pretty sure too.
11:58 PM on 06/05/08
CarlosLunes
aloneatlastnj = best poster!
User Info.
its fucking garbage drew, its FUCKING GARBAGE
11:58 PM on 06/05/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
its fucking garbage drew, its FUCKING GARBAGE
high five! I was waiting for your input haha I bet Mike Ford hates it too. haha
01:45 AM on 06/06/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Good Review.

I'm actually liking this cd a lot. I was surprised that I liked it so much to. To each his own I guess.

It's cd's like this and songs like A Milli that I wish my 12" bazooka never got stolen..

I miss rolling down the street bumping little wayne hahaha
03:13 AM on 06/06/08
keeplioving
sell my old clothes
User Info.
Good Review.

I'm actually liking this cd a lot. I was surprised that I liked it so much to. To each his own I guess.

It's cd's like this and songs like A Milli that I wish my 12" bazooka never got stolen..

I miss rolling down the street bumping little wayne hahaha

"ridin' Uptown, bumpin' Hot Boys, ya bitch"

not digging this album at all. well, granted the only time I ever even liked Wayne was during a few of his verses in random older Cash Money songs
04:27 AM on 06/06/08
RamInGoreville
Occupy Your Mind
User Info.
It's all about, "Mr. Carter."
06:44 AM on 06/06/08
ddb43
User Info.
I can't believe this was reviewed here. Such garbage!!
06:53 AM on 06/06/08
callingallcars
remember us 4 all we pretend 2 be
User Info.
ehhh. im over weezy but still this is a good review.

"I'm the shit so get the fuck up out my toilet."

stupid stupid lyrics. quite possibly one of the worst rap albums ever. his song la la, I'd rather listen to ashlee simpson's la la
07:10 AM on 06/06/08
desipunk7
I'd never be retro like a cool kid.
User Info.
Best song "Mr. Carter"

I call them April babies, cause they Fools.

I got summer hatin on me cause I'm hotter than the sun
Got spring hatin on me cause I ain't never sprung
Winter hatin on me cause I'm colder than y'all
And I will never, I will never, I will never fall
I'm being hated on by the seasons
So f*** y'all hatin' for no reason.
07:26 AM on 06/06/08
im_a_music_nut
Cori
User Info.
Best song "Mr. Carter"

I call them April babies, cause they Fools.

I got summer hatin on me cause I'm hotter than the sun
Got spring hatin on me cause I ain't never sprung
Winter hatin on me cause I'm colder than y'all
And I will never, I will never, I will never fall
I'm being hated on by the seasons
So f*** y'all hatin' for no reason.

I agree!
07:59 AM on 06/06/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, I'll have to give a listen.
08:04 AM on 06/06/08
TKTKrob
!
User Info.
For a rapper, if the lyrics are inconsistant and often don't make sense...the album immediately fails.
08:14 AM on 06/06/08
desiguerilla
You Gon' Get This Work!
User Info.
i think C3 is his best album, but not his best piece of work when compared to his other mixtapes like da drought 3 or even the carter 3 mixtape

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos