Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 346.
11:46 PM on 06/23/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
On the topic of the sample in On Sight, the lyrics of the sample I think are huge but seemed to be brushed past in the review. The Sample states "He'll give us what we need,It may not be what we want". For rap fans specifically fans off his older material, they may not want an album like this but western music and op music need an album like this.

thats just my two cents.

good review though
i couldn't make out what the sample was saying. that actually makes it even MORE perfect. damn.

thanks for the kind words!
11:53 PM on 06/23/13
JoshSalas
User Info.
I don't normally listen to rap (because of Kanye's ego, too much autotone, and Chief Keef sucks), but North West should be in The Wonder Years.

the score of this review (too high) > MBDTF > Yeezus > Daisy

Good review, by the way. Interesting read.
11:54 PM on 06/23/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
I don't normally listen to rap (because of Kanye's ego, too much autotone, and Chief Keef sucks), but North West should be in The Wonder Years.

the score of this review (too high) > MBDTF > Yeezus > Daisy

Good review, by the way. Interesting read.
12:42 AM on 06/24/13
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Love this review. The bingo bit in the first comment has made it for me. Laughing so much!
01:05 AM on 06/24/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Review is great. Would have probably scored the album somewhere like 8.5-9, but honestly who cares haha
01:08 AM on 06/24/13
SlyZ
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
10/10? Is this suppose to be a joke or something?...or with Kanye West's style : Black my white niga slave niga white black black white?
04:43 AM on 06/24/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
10/10? Is this suppose to be a joke or something?...or with Kanye West's style : Black my white niga slave niga white black black white?
Jake, you might as well add "people who complain about review score but haven't read the review" on that bingo list of yours.
05:53 AM on 06/24/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Solid review, Jake. I haven't been able to get into this as much as some of his past work (obligatory "not as good as MBDTF" post), but it's still a damn tight album. And shit, that sample in "Bound 2."

Also, the bingo is hilarious.
06:12 AM on 06/24/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Great album, great review. Love the bingo too, haha.
06:20 AM on 06/24/13
Star Slight
User Info.
Buncha dorks in here

Albums a 7.753333333333333.../10
06:20 AM on 06/24/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Yeezus is at its best during moments that closely resemble 808's and Heartbreak, though it would be hard to imagine anything here really showing up on that album. Still, “Hold My Liquor” is the softest moment on the album, and Justin Vernon and Chief Keef offer their singing services to help give it that woozy, drunk at four in the morning about to pass out feeling the title would suggest. Keef is confined to an auto-tuned hook that's not too far from the more left-field material on last year's Finally Rich, and Kanye offers an emotional verse that's presumably about his struggle with Kim's friends and family not approving of him (“Then her auntie came over/Skinny bitch with no shoulders/Tellin you that I'm bogus/Bitch you don't even know us”). It's another one of those rare moments where Kanye lets his human side show, but the song really hits its stride after a breathtaking bridge from Justin Vernon makes way into a noisy, guitar-led outro. Just two tracks later, “Blood On The Leaves” starts as an auto-tune ballad with a melody that resembles “Heartless,” and Kanye flips TNGHT's “R U Ready” and Nina Simone's cover of “Strange Fruit” by Billie Holiday into a blistering, gripping tale of a love gone wrong. It's one of the best songs of Kanye's career, and a testament to his ability to turn samples into something both unique and emotionally captivating.

Completely agree with all this. "Blood" and "Can't" are my two favorite songs on this, especially "Blood." Unreal.

Fantastic, fantastic review that really delves into everything unique about this record as well as ties in old elements and general comments about Kanye. Highly enjoyable.
06:24 AM on 06/24/13
lovemetal24
User Info.
Give me a break, pitchfork isn't that cool
06:31 AM on 06/24/13
Sam Zimmerman
User Info.
I just lost my shit looking at that bingo card.
06:33 AM on 06/24/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
for those that wanna keep score at home
this.
06:35 AM on 06/24/13
Thursdaysox
Sleep Well
User Info.
Love it; I'm In It and New Slaves being my favs on the album
Options