theredline
Brian Gallows
User Info.
I'll take "I don't get the hype" space. Cause I don't
09:00 AM on 06/24/13
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
Truthfully, I really don't understand why people complain so much about the hype surrounding certain albums. Especially since a great deal of people hate albums solely based on said hype. Which makes no sense; it's like saying "I hate this album because a lot of people like it and are talking about it".

Sidenote: I wanna marry your avatar.
I understand what you're saying but the pre-release hype for this was crazy and he didn't even have a single so I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. I was anxious to hear it and I only really found 2 songs I enjoy, which is almost the same thing that happened with Cruel Summer for me, but Cruel Summer had some unbelievable singles that blow the rest of the album out of the water. I can see why a lot of people like it simply cuz it's Kanye but I like all his other albums better. The main issue I had were the beats, I really couldn't get into many of them.

And thanks that picture is hysterical. I really wish there was a King of the Hill hardcore band.
09:03 AM on 06/24/13
surette
kill the switch
User Info.
I'll take "I don't get the hype" space. Cause I don't
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Kanye West is one of the biggest artists in the entire world of the past decade, why wouldn't there be an insane amount of hype?
09:09 AM on 06/24/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This record would be scored a 100% if Kanye was the person who introduced you to hip hop. I whole heartedly disagree with the score of the record, the 'importance' through line in the review. This is not a record that you love when you first hear it, nor was it written to be. I have been supportive of Kanye, I enjoy his music, but I do not think this record is deserving of the pedastal that's it's been placed on by the staff of this site.
This. x400.
09:12 AM on 06/24/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
I would just like to say that the 10/10 does not mean I think the album is perfect. It's just a score. I didn't put much thought into it, it just felt right.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words and for reading
09:15 AM on 06/24/13
honkytonk
Fedoras, limit 1 per group.
User Info.
Great album, some of Ye's rapping feels a bit lazy to me but the album is incredibly tight as a whole.
09:22 AM on 06/24/13
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'd call it closer to an 8. It's got some of his laziest lyrical content ever and come on, that Chief Keef hook is awful. Production saves it. I was hoping for a Danny Brown feature somewhere, oh well. Feature selections were really weak overall.

I have to agree with what Anthony Fantano over at The Needle Drop said about this record feeling like an act. He's seemed more and more like he's playing a character over the last couple records, the first three felt significantly more honest.

I guess that puts me at 4 counting the free space.
09:23 AM on 06/24/13
kennyrules
User Info.
I loved the review and was about to make a Brand New comment when I saw the bingo board and couldn't stop laughing. Only thing I would've added is "Wish there was a vinyl release".
09:42 AM on 06/24/13
circasurprise90
User Info.
I would just like to say that the 10/10 does not mean I think the album is perfect. It's just a score. I didn't put much thought into it, it just felt right.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words and for reading
If a 10/10 doesn't mean perfect what does?? The score seems like something you should put some thought into...
09:44 AM on 06/24/13
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
I buy it.
09:45 AM on 06/24/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
If a 10/10 doesn't mean perfect what does?? The score seems like something you should put some thought into...
If an album is perfect ill say so in the review. You can find all of my thoughts in the review. A score is just a score.
09:46 AM on 06/24/13
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
I understand what you're saying but the pre-release hype for this was crazy and he didn't even have a single so I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. I was anxious to hear it and I only really found 2 songs I enjoy, which is almost the same thing that happened with Cruel Summer for me, but Cruel Summer had some unbelievable singles that blow the rest of the album out of the water. I can see why a lot of people like it simply cuz it's Kanye but I like all his other albums better. The main issue I had were the beats, I really couldn't get into many of them.

And thanks that picture is hysterical. I really wish there was a King of the Hill hardcore band.
Truthfully, I'd say the hype for Yeezus matched the hype of RAM and 20/20 Experience. I think Yeezy will have the most longevity but I feel like the collective listener-base was anticipating them all equally.

As of now I think I like Yeezus more than Cruel Summer, WTT, 808s and Graduation but to be fair I'm also a big fan of industrial hip-hop (Death Grips, Dalek). The production is great but understandably alienating to some on first listen.
09:52 AM on 06/24/13
Amib70
You think of everything
User Info.
nice review jake and ty for reminding me with the bingo card that the super progressive pop punk kids who also listen to Kanye will still give TGG aoty despite all the other incredible releases this year

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos