Username
Password
Legal News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Legal
Inside AP.net

Ex-Save Ferris Band Members Sue Lead Singer

Posted by: Jason Tate (06/24/13)
Former members of Save Ferris are suing singer Monique Powell over allegations that she falsely promoted an upcoming show as a "Save Ferris Reunion" ... without the rest of the band's permission.
Former SF members Brian Mashburn, Eric Zamora, Bill Uechi, Brian Williams, and Evan Kilbourne have now filed a lawsuit against Powell -- insisting she has no right to perform under the Save Ferris name. The band wants her to pay unspecified damages for falsely promoting a reunion show. They also want a judge to block her from using the Save Ferris name ever again.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
11:03 AM on 06/24/13
OldJersey
I respect women
User Info.
Butthurt much??
11:08 AM on 06/24/13
honkytonk
Fedoras, limit 1 per group.
User Info.
Hahaha pretty much
11:27 AM on 06/24/13
Roy_Stalin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the other band members never trademarked the name - pretty stupid of them
11:41 AM on 06/24/13
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
User Info.
Monique wants to play Save Ferris songs and the rest of the band doesn't, or the rest of the band just doesn't want to play reunion shows with Monique (the lead singer)?
11:41 AM on 06/24/13
5fikev
User Info.
I heard that you were feeling ill. Headache, fever, and a chill. I came to help restore your pluck, cause Im the nurse who likes to.....anyone anyone?
11:53 AM on 06/24/13
*dannyg*
dannygcanfly
User Info.
I heard that you were feeling ill. Headache, fever, and a chill. I came to help restore your pluck, cause Im the nurse who likes to.....anyone anyone?
YESSSSS
12:40 PM on 06/24/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
america is so f'n sue happy.

i'm gonna sue the other guys for annoying me, and unspecified damages .
12:50 PM on 06/24/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Monique wants to play Save Ferris songs and the rest of the band doesn't, or the rest of the band just doesn't want to play reunion shows with Monique (the lead singer)?
The other members don't think she has the right to perform under that band name.
01:03 PM on 06/24/13
OpenIntro
User Info.
Oh how I love/loved Save Ferris and their shows. Would love to see an ACTUAL reunion show with all of the members. Monique has done some solo stuff but never gained a lot of traction I guess. Maybe she was hoping calling herself Save Ferris was the way to get some?

Save Ferris/Reel Big Fish/Letters to Cleo bill anyone?
02:50 PM on 06/24/13
torres
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Unspecified damages?

While I don't blame the band for taking offense to her using the Save Ferris name if she did not have legal permission to do so, "unspecified damages" strikes me as if the band's lawyer is grasping at straws trying to make a case against her.
02:53 PM on 06/24/13
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
america is so f'n sue happy.

i'm gonna sue the other guys for annoying me, and unspecified damages .
She's making money off a project that she does not solely own without the consent of other people involved in said project. That is, quite literally, the time for a lawsuit.

But, hey, why know what you're talking about when you can just, you know...not?
03:17 PM on 06/24/13
swagofthe90s
music <3
User Info.
broke asses suing broke asses. America fuck yeeeeahhhh
09:58 AM on 06/25/13
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
what a shame... they were my favorite ska band....
12:32 AM on 07/23/13
Jaynicgurl
Free Flow Jazz Odyssey Enthusiast
User Info.
Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now!

Here's the true story: http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmenta...a.php? page=2

She's basically lying to her fans. She lied about "asking the guys to play the show" when she never did so in the first place! (I know this for fact because I talked to Brian Mashburn the day this show was announced. He was just as shocked as we were and the guys found out the same day we did...). Even though she is the singer, she did not write the music. Those are not her songs (besides a small credit as co-writer on only 3 songs.)

She is also going around spreading rumor and lies about the dudes using fake profiles and names. It's pretty pathetic.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests