ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
1. Messengers
2. Constellations
3. Thrill Seeker
4. Rescue and Restore
5. Leveler

This album is better than Leveler (thank god) but I wouldn't call it their best work. Not by a long shot. It's grown on me now that I've listened to it a few times, but there's no way it could stand up to Constellations or Messengers.
01:42 PM on 06/25/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Messengers and Constellations have always simultaneously represented the peak of this band's capabilities for me: Messengers because it's so immediately punishing throughout and Constellations because of its boundary-pushing. Leveler didn't strike me as pushing either of those aspects any farther, hopefully this record does both.
THIS.
03:32 PM on 06/25/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Leveler is still the band's best album but I dig this one too.
No chance man. Leveler was just them shooting for this album and missing. They kept trying to inject slow, melodic parts into the songs on Leveler and they just didn't flow. These songs flow with the melodic and heavy parts together, rather than just stopping altogether and forcing a part of the song that didn't need to be there.

I don't know, just my opinion.
02:27 PM on 06/27/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
I disagree, I think the slower parts on Leveler fit in the songs well and flowed perfectly, especially on Internal Cannon.
The song literally stops and then they go into that ill advised Mediterranean bridge that ruins the song. I'm all for experimenting with your music, but Internal Cannon is probably my biggest example of the bad songwriting exhibited on Leveler.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums