AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Property of Zack News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

POZ Op-Ed: "Selling Out Doesn't Matter"

Posted by - 02:21 PM on 06/25/13
You can check out a new Contributor Blog from writer, producer, manager Jesse Cannon on how there is no longer a valid argument to selling out between the internet and ever-growing DIY culture over on PropertyOfZack.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
02:44 PM on 06/25/13
anamericangod
User Info.
I'm not sure I agree. I feel like this article has taken a very loose approach to what "selling out" is.

I don't think that people expect artists to do everything themselves in order to not be considered a sellout. But there comes a point in a lot of successful artists careers where they become something they're really not, all in an attempt to be even bigger than they are, or due to the pressure and prodding of a major label.

This article basically ends with saying that it's okay to give artists a free pass when they get "in bed with a corporate giant or two." It's not always a bad thing when promotions like that happen, but they should be examined and given careful consideration by fans.

All in all, there are a lot of counterpoints to the arguments presented here.
02:50 PM on 06/25/13
domotime2
great googily moogily
User Info.
sounds about right.
04:29 PM on 06/25/13
TheZeroKid
I'm Not Holden Caulfield
User Info.
I've always understood "selling out" to be compromising your integrity to fit the needs of your label superiors for the sole purpose of more monetary gain. I don't fault artists for wanting to make a living off of their art. It's when the main focus of creating art is to make money (and in order to do that, forfitting your decisions to people that have nothing to do with the art and everything to with the money) that it becomes a problem.

"Decide For Yourself". I like it.
04:38 PM on 06/25/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
I've always understood "selling out" to be compromising your integrity to fit the needs of your label superiors for the sole purpose of more monetary gain. I don't fault artists for wanting to make a living off of their art. It's when the main focus of creating art is to make money (and in order to do that, forfitting your decisions to people that have nothing to do with the art and everything to with the money) that it becomes a problem.

"Decide For Yourself". I like it.

I concur.
06:30 PM on 06/25/13
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
Plenty of bands that I love are considered "sell outs." But, until they start making music I don't like. I don't care what other people label them as. I had a conversation the other day with one of my friends and he completely disagreed with me, but I fully embrace bands I like getting on major labels (fun for example) because then they have the financial backing of the studio to continue making music I love. Because of this Internet age there are so many bands that are accessible. I hate when I discover one of those "five year bands" as I like to call them that make great music but can't make ends meet and end up having to quit being a band so they can go back to school, get a real job, etc.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos