AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Love in October - Pontus, the Devil, and Me Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Love in October - Pontus, the Devil, and Me

Reviewed by: hockeyguitar99 (06/06/08)
Love in October - Pontus, the Devil, and Me
Release Date: December 11, 2007
Record Label: The Musik Group

Love in October are nothing we haven't all heard before. They don't bend or break genre lines, they don't make something new or interesting; they make decent, generic indie pop. It isn't something that will change your life, and may not be something that you listen to on a regular basis, but that doesn't mean that it's awful or that there is even something wrong with it.

Pontus, the Devil, and Me is an album that I had trouble getting into; it took me a while to actually listen to it all. As soon I was done listening to it, I had trouble remembering what it really sounded like. That can be both good and bad: it could be good because each time I listen to the record, each song sounds at least a little new and fresh. It could also be bad, because it shows that Love in October may not have what it takes to make it in the long run.

As far as the lyrics go, nothing really grabs one's attention. While they seemed to fit nicely with the songs and music at hand, none of them are exactly noteworthy. Lines like "Those were the best day's that we had" (from "Circa 1989") are overused in music today, and show immaturity and lack of creativity. However, they are young and experience brings improvement.

With all that said, the band believes that the content (both lyrically and musically) is broken up into three parts (which make up the title of the album): Pontus: songs that tell a story abut someone or something; the devil: songs that are fast, angry, and dark; and me: songs that are autobiographical. I found this statement interesting considering most bands wouldn't plan on having three main points of lyrical content. The album does have several personalities, shown through the band's musical prowess rather than their strength in words. They switch between Motion City Soundtrack-like indie-pop numbers to heavier tracks that just don't quite fit the album.

If someone asked me where I thought Love in October would be in five years, I wouldn't know what to say. Normally, with a debut album, I assume that they will still be making music long down the road, unless something tells me otherwise. In the press release, lead singer Erik Widman said, "It bothers me to be called a 'band' because that limits you to the scope of music. I see Love in October venturing into other artistic areas over the years. I want us to be known as creators, not musicians." I was a little shocked after I read this. So many bands would kill to be in the position that Love in October are in, and I feel like they might just throw it all away.

Recommended if You LikeDeath Cab for Cutie, The Morning Light, bi-polar indie rock

myspace.com/loveinoctober

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
09:50 PM on 01/01/11
benjaminp13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good album. I love I dream of Marie Antoinette
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News