AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts.
07:27 AM on 06/27/13
The Gryphonator
User Info.
He definitely delivered. If you haven't watched the documentary yet, you should. It's cool, smart, hilarious... and Derek is just high the whole time hahahaha
12:45 PM on 06/27/13
The Gryphonator
User Info.
I've listened through this album twice now, and although there's some great tracks on it, overall it feels a little lackluster to me. I had really high hopes for the album, but it just doesn't seem to quite reach what I was hoping for. A lot of the tracks sounds similar in style to the others, so maybe more variety is what I was looking for. Still haven't seen him live yet, but hopefully I can do that soon, as I've only heard good things about the live show.
Ya know... despite what I said above, I know what you're saying. I think it's the drums/beats. There's not a whole lot of variety with the structure either (in terms of drums). I really think that's it, cause I can sense different styles and culture in each track, but the drums usually remain absent, and then it comes in and BASS BASS da da...ta...da da da ta ta BASS BASS da da da ta...ta..ta..da da da. BASS BASS, etc.

A samezy beat is in Color of my Soul, So Bright, Done Wrong, Led Zeppelin Remix, unreleased The Day is Gone. There's probably other's too.

But I still really, really enjoy it. Pretty Lights takes everything that's lame about EDM and replaces it with classy, catchy melodies done by other musicians of various styles. It works for me.

Also, I've been to 3 Pretty Lights shows. DEFINITELY go if you get the chance. Even without drug or alcohol usage, you can't help but DANCE! And the LIGHTS!

Also, shameless promotion for my favorite EDM group... THE GLITCH MOB. (Drink the Sea)

EDIT: Also, gonna repeat something my brother said to me as I was getting into Pretty Lights several years ago: He's not really an "album" artist. His EPs were good length, but I very rarely listen to a PL album all the way through (I mean... this one is over an hour long...). Find the tracks you like and add them to your awesome PL collection. Go back and revisit the ones you didn't like before, maybe you'll find something you missed before.

Jesus I feel like I'm on Reddit giving life advice or something, haha
12:55 PM on 06/27/13
The Gryphonator
User Info.
I'm geniunely interested but how does a DJ set change your life? Or is this just an expression? I've seen some pretty amazing concerts but my life course was never changed due to one.
If you're a big PL fan, the experience is pretty spectacular. Imagine "Blue Man Group" (visually) but instead hearing 2 hours of your favorite dance songs. The lights, the bass, the crowd... it's all crazy fun.

WAY more fun than most concerts I go to nowadays. Everyone just stands around awkwardly, which is fine... but sometimes I just want to go crazy like when I was in high school.

Anberlin this past year was a great time though. Literally, crowd surfing and moshing almost every song. Cleveland yeah!......
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests