AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Festival Preview: Glastonbury

Posted by - 08:46 AM on 06/27/13
With festival season well and truly in full swing across the globe now, undoubtedly one of the biggest on the planet kicks off its music across many stages this weekend. Glastonbury Festival in the UK is a long-standing and world famous event which just grows and grows every year and after taking a break in 2012, it's back with a line up full of acts that should not be missed. Head to the replies to see lists and previews of some acts both new and and more seasoned which should be checked out, including the likes of The Rolling Stones, Tom Odell, King Krule, The 1975 and Arctic Monkeys.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
08:46 AM on 06/27/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
FeatureNew Bands To Watch

1) King Krule

Archy Marshall aka King Krule will be performing on the now incredibly famous Park Stage. This tends to be the stage for the newer acts that are on the verge of breaking into a much wider audience and with King Krule's debut set for later this year, he's no exception. Whether he's playing old and adored cuts such as "Out Getting Ribs" from his Zoo Kid days or newer tracks like the recent double a-side of "Rock Bottom"/"Octopus" the entire show will be a mix of razor sharp lyricism and delivery alongside almost ethereal melodies and beats.

2) Tom Odell

If there's one act on this list who is on the rise and reaching their first career peak, it's Tom Odell. With his debut album, Long Way Down, literally just released worldwide and the success of single "Another Love" propelling his fanbase to new heights, it's going to be a treat to watch Odell performing on one of the smaller stages at the festival, because you can bet that come next year or the year after, he will be heading to the main stages across many festivals.

3) Savages

Playing undoubtedly one of their biggest and most "public" shows to date, Savages take to the John Peel Stage on Saturday only a couple of slots from a headline show. Their debut album, Silence Yourself, has proved that whatever surrounds them or their music and whatever you think of it that it's the music that really counts. A set full of fast, pounding and anthemic punk songs mixed with a relentlessly energetic performance will make this a set to not be missed.

4) The 1975

Honestly, The 1975 are on this list because I know how adored they are around this website. Whilst there is something that I just cannot seem to connect with or have that spark set off inside of me by them, they are without a doubt headed for great things. Their recent rise in popularity in the UK alone after single, "Chocolate", has seen them gaining constant radio and TV coverage and now that their debut album is finally confirmed for release later this year...you can bet we'll be seeing and hearing a lot more of The 1975. Those going to the festival, or any festival where they are playing this year, should go and check them out and see what the majority of Absolutepunk.net are so excited about.

5) Deap Vally

Californian duo Deap Vally release their debut album the week Glastonbury comes to a close and recent singles "Gonna Make My Own Money" and "Baby I Call Hell" prove that this raw and "dirty" guitar sounding duo will rock the John Peel Stage on Sunday. The perfect cure for a 4 day hangover and the gravelly buzz of the great riffs can match the buzz in your head and poor, intoxicated body.

Bands Not To Be Missed

1) The Rolling Stones

Without a doubt, the biggest pull of the whole festival across the entire weekend and across all 50-something stages, will be The Rolling Stones. People can pick apart the band or the performance before and after, but you can guarantee nobody will be complaining for those 2 hours or so where a hit-packed, energetic show full of genuine classics such as "Get Off My Cloud", "Paint It Black" and "Gimme Shelter" takes place. It will undoubtedly be the talking point and a real moment of the whole festival.

2) Seasick Steve

After releasing material on Jack White's Third Man Records and now being signed to UK label, Fiction, for his new album Hubcap Music, Seasick Steve will be bringing his unique blues sound and his DIY instruments to the West Holts Stage on Friday night. Not only is he one of the most humble men in the music world at the moment, but he is just that cool...as are his tunes. With John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin and Them Crooked Vultures now playing bass as a permanent member of the band too, it's an ideal and charming set to end the first night of music with...

3) Chic featuring Nile Rodgers

...until Chic featuring Nile Rodgers take the same stage immediately afterwards. Thought Seasick Steve was a great way to lift your mood and end the night on? Well Chic is only going to enhance that. Not only will we be treated to disco classics and covers from that era but the group have now taken to covering songs from the likes of David Bowie and Madonna. The double combo on the West Holts Stage of Seasick Steve and Chic would leave anybody in attendance in the best of spirits for the rest of the weekend.

4) Arctic Monkeys

Arctic Monkeys headlined the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury back in 2007 just a couple of months after the release of their sophomore album, Favourite Worst Nightmare, and there was a lot of controversy because of it. Such a new and young band headlining the most famous festival on the world's most famous and main stage?! If it wasn't for the sound problems that occurred here and there throughout the set though, they would have proven any critics wrong. Which is what this comeback set will be for. Promising songs old and new...and very old and very new, in fact... there will be plenty going on with a setlist featuring tracks from five albums including the forthcoming AM.

5) Crystal Castles

For those wanting to escape the large crowd that will be heading to see the Arctic Monkeys' return, the John Peel Stage will be having a much more chaotic and intense atmosphere with Crystal Castles headlining. Going from strength-to-strength over each release, Ethan and Alice will make the most of their headline slot on a very beloved stage. If you want to end your first night of music on a crazy high, this is the place to be.

10:00 AM on 06/27/13
georgedcc
User Info.
Looking forward to chilling out on Friday night after work and watching some music. I'm working Saturday until relatively late, so I might not be able to watch much that day at all.

On Friday, I'm planning on watching; Portishead, Dinosaur Jr, Frightened Rabbit, Glen Hasard, Martha Wainwright, Billy Bragg, Disclosure.

On Sunday, will try and watch; Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright, Bobby Womack, Lianne La Havas, Cat Power, Michael Kiwanuka, Laura Mvulu, Phoenix, James Blake, Tom Odell, Lucinda Williams, Xavier Rudd.

I know there's gonna be clashes, but hopefully the catch up service will reliable!
10:52 AM on 06/27/13
Deadbolt01
soundcloud.com/dellauk
User Info.
Ditched my ticket, kinda regretting it now. The dance lineup is wicked as well as the bands.
01:13 PM on 06/27/13
pianomanfan021
born to run
User Info.
I saw the 1975 last night in Brooklyn and they absolutely stole the show. They should be headlining over the Neighbourhood not the other way around. New 1975 tracks from the upcoming release are huge live especially "all hearts out."

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos