Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up (07/01/13)

Posted by: Deborah Remus (07/01/13)
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
05:56 PM on 07/01/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Thanks to Chad for putting this together.

Technology Round-UpPoll

Sony is really pushing the limits of the phablet (phone/tablet hybrid--your round-up author claims no responsibility for this name) with an upcoming Android phone that features a 6.4-inch screen.

With these large-screen devices becoming more prominent, one must ask the question: What is your ideal phone screen size? [Poll]

Apple

Possible leaked iPad 5 schematics indicate the device will be close to the thickness of the iPad Mini. Also, check out rumored photos of the iPhone 5S.

All American Airlines flights and JetBlue flights will feature iPads in the cockpits. Let's hope they don't crash (the iPads, not the planes…well, the planes too) and that pilots remember to pack chargers.

In 2014, Apple will switch away from Samsung processors for their mobile devices. Guess all those lawsuits finally did have an impact on this relationship.

A new OS X game called Motion Tennis uses your iPhone as a motion-sensing controller. Not recommended unless your iPhone is in an Otterbox or you have devised a wrist strap.

Gizmodo has released a preview of iOS 7 on the iPad. Also, check out some of the new iOS 7 chat and messaging features.

Apple's iPhone market share is now at 39% vs. the next-closest competitor, Samsung, at has 23%.

Check out the new notifications system for Safari 7.0 and OS X Maverick.

Internet

AT&T has been granted a patent to monitor BitTorrent and other peer-to-peer traffic sites. No word on what the patent is for, but let's hope they plan to simply sit on it so no one else can develop the technology.

R.I.P. Altavista. This classic search engine is one of the 12 products/sites that Yahoo is shutting down.

Talk about irony--one of the WikiLeaks volunteers was doubling as a CIA informant.

A Boston University student's appeal of his $675,000 verdict from the RIAA (for sharing 30 songs) was upheld. Ouch.

If you, like your round-up author, annoyed your friends by hashtagging your Facebook posts because you just knew Facebook would support hashtags someday, that day has finally come. Make sure to do your "I was right" dance.

Seattle residents will be able to get 1 gbps internet in 2014 for $80/mo.

Bing Maps snagged a satellite image of a Russian stealth fighter jet.

Nintendo will not be able to acquire the WiiU.com domain.

Kickstarter is coming to Canada, eh.

Google

Google is developing an Android game console and Android wristwatch. Which are you more excited about ("neither" is an acceptable answer as well)?

Google is suing the IRS for $83.5 million. This is a weird case of big brother suing big brother.

The latest dev build of Google Chrome now features QuickOffice integration for native editing of Word and Excel documents.

Electronics

See the new Drayson Racing car set an electric-vehicle land-speed record of 204.2 mph.

Intel appears poised to enter the set top TV box market with its Black Box Project.

Toshiba will launch 4k resolution TVs in August, but potential buyers will need to plunk down at least $5k.

Sony has released PS3 firmware 4.46 to fix consoles that were bricked by firmware 4.45.

Mobile

Blackberry's new phones aren't helping right the sinking ship--the company's stock price dropped 27% after they released lower-than-expected earnings. Only 2.7 million Blackberry 10 devices shipped last quarter. In other bad news (for consumers this time), Blackberry 10 will not be coming to the Playbook despite earlier indications.

Check out the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active, which lets you dunk your phone in water.

Anyone who feels like hacking their Galaxy S4 can give Android 4.3 a try.

T-Mobile is paying $308 million to acquire LTE spectrum from U.S. Cellular (who knew U.S. Cellular had LTE?).

The HTC 8XT will feature Windows Phone 8, a 4.8-inch screen, and BoomSound.

Check out a hands-on with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition and the HTC One Google Play Edition.

Apps

Skype for iOS now features unlimited video messaging.

The DirecTV GenieGo app for Android, iOS, and Windows now supports TV streaming anywhere.

Twitter's Vine app for Android now supports using the front camera.

Boomerang for Gmail now has an Android app.

Digg Reader for iOS and the web are now available.

Sony Music Unlimited for iOS now features high-quality and offline streaming.

Foursquare has launched its first official Windows 8 tablet app.

Twitter's app with built-in Bing Translator support is available for Windows Phone 8.

Nokia has released an augmented reality job-finding app.

Windows 8.1 Maps will support 3D imagery.

Computer/Tablet

Check out a hands-on preview of Windows 8.1; then download the Windows 8.1 preview for free, directly from Microsoft (though put it on a computer you don't mind erasing in a few months).

Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1 support HTML5 Netflix video. Speaking of IE 11, Microsoft has confirmed that the browser will be released for Windows 7.

Not sure how anyone conceived this test, but mayonnaise was tested for 12 days as a thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink/fan assembly. It works surprisingly well…for 24 hours.

Firefox 22 now supports built-in 3D gaming.

Tips/Tricks

Speed up your iPhone/iPad data on Sprint and AT&T.

Fix your rats nest of cables using paper towel rolls.

Get better control of your Android phone's auto-brightness setting with Velis Auto Brightness.

According to this article, you shouldn't labor on tough decisions for more than two minutes.

Improve the range of your car's key remote.

Miscellaneous

Microsoft may have a major organizational restructuring on the horizon.

Nokia dropped a whopping $2.2 billion for controlling stake of Nokia Siemens Networks.

Contributor: CyberInferno

06:52 PM on 07/01/13
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.

Check out a hands-on preview of Windows 8.1; then download the Windows 8.1 preview for free, directly from Microsoft (though put it on a computer you don't mind erasing in a few months).

So what exactly is this preview? Is it even a legit Windows-approved download or pirated? And why a preview... does it get deleted after a while or something?
07:08 PM on 07/01/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So what exactly is this preview? Is it even a legit Windows-approved download or pirated? And why a preview... does it get deleted after a while or something?

Why not read what you quoted and click the link... It answers all of your questions...
07:12 PM on 07/01/13
irthesteve
User Info.
Why not read what you quoted and click the link... It answers all of your questions...
This tells me nothing

Quote:
Windows 8.1 Preview ISO Files Are Up

Those of you interested in the try-before-you-buy version of Windows 8.1 can now grab the ISO file here. The download is pretty damn speedy right now, your mileage may vary.
07:41 PM on 07/01/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This tells me nothing

Are you really bad at clicking links? Hahaha That page has a link to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-download
07:47 PM on 07/01/13
irthesteve
User Info.
Are you really bad at clicking links? Hahaha That page has a link to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eview-download
i've never been to that hardocp site, ended up clicking somewhere that took me to a forum about the topic, i dont know.

but thank you
08:18 PM on 07/01/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i've never been to that hardocp site, ended up clicking somewhere that took me to a forum about the topic, i dont know.

but thank you

You're welcome!
11:46 PM on 07/01/13
remoteCONTROL
We're a band.
User Info.
As a vendor at Microsoft up in Redmond, I'm anxious to see how the new management might pan out. Just from my cubicle, I can see 3 or 4 positions that could be eliminated in order to save $250k a year. I spend the majority of my day waiting for emails to go UP the chain and all the way back DOWN the chain in order for me to move forward with what I need to get done that day. A deep-rooted efficiency rehaul is definitely needed to bring back more profitability.
06:44 AM on 07/02/13
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Thanks for another great round-up.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music