Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts
02:20 PM on 07/05/13
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I feel like this band just puts out the same thing over and over. Hardly any progression. Which is a shame because 'When I Am God' was one of my favourite albums of the genre. I enjoyed the next album, but everything since then seems to have continued at the same standard and I'm a little bored now. A shame.
12:21 AM on 07/06/13
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
CoF is way different than When I Am God so I am confused by your post.
The musical progression from Son of the Morning to Children of Fire brought a very different dynamic, I'm also confused.
Yeah the change from Son of the Morning to Children of Fire was definitely substantial, but I think it's fair to say that this single, at least, sounds quite similar in its tonality to a song like "Hush Yael". I'm not saying that's negative, but that's probably what that guy meant about them "continuing the same standard."

In general the range of songs that Oh, Sleeper produces is really refreshing compared to the rest of the genre, so someone who thinks that they just put out the same thing over and over must not have listened very carefully to their releases. I mean they can melt your face with sweet-picking melodies, clean vocals that are easily comparable to Dustin from Thrice, and really creative breakdowns that don't feel formulaic but completely naturally & compelling -- all while telling an epic story with a positive twist. And they can pull it off live... they've got my vote!

I need to hear the rest of this EP to see how I really feel about it, but thus far I enjoy what I hear -- after all it's just an EP, which don't generally make huge leaps in tonal progression. If the rest of the songs sound akin to Children of Fire, then treat this release as a bunch of Japanese Bonus Tracks and quit whining haha. I'm sure if they -- like Thrice before them -- start to explore their more melodic side, we'd have people complaining about that too. Sometimes people seem to forget to just take the music at face value.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what their next LP sounds like--
Sorry for not being clear - massive progression from When I Am God to Son of The Morning musically. However, I don't feel there was too much change between that album and Children of Fire. You guys do - and that's fine! For me, there wasn't a huge gap and by this point, when I've listened to the two songs from the EP, I feel as though I've heard it all before. Sorry for the negativity, just stating how I feel!

Will agree that it will be interesting to see what the next full length sounds like. And very interesting comments regarding going more melodic and Thrice like. Not heard many people say that in relation to Oh, Sleeper but would be intrigued if that was the direction they took. They're doing another Titan related story EP first, are they not?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos