Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts.
06:09 AM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
They need to have worked with someone else for production yes, but absolutely not McTernan. He does an awful job with heavy bands.
11:41 AM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
Not to keep adding to the score debate...but I will anyways. If you're trying to give a true objective review of an album I think it's important for individual components to be scored. If the production is crap then it should be reflected in the score for it does have an effect on the overall enjoyment for many people. A better option for the new AP should be to axe the "Reviewer Tilt" and have every album given an objective rating (with the same categories sans RT) and a subjective score (with no categories). This would satiate both those looking for a technical look as well as those more concerned with basic enjoyment.

Would be easy, useful, and crowd pleasing IMO and then there would be no more conversations derailed like this.
11:50 AM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
that isnt going to happen. none of the reviewers like the categories because we all put different stock into different things. one absolute score is easily the best way to score something, and at the end of the day (i really cant believe i have to say this) a score is completely arbitrary.

Disagree personally, I feel unless you cover your ground these "discussions" will never end and a dual score would be (sort of) innovative and appeasing. And obviously the score is arbitrary but it's an important measure for people to be able to glance at and say this is either good or bad.
11:54 AM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
Oh hell no. Haven't you ever come across an album that had a lot of skill, well done lyrics, or excellent vocals and yet...it was entertaining you at all? I do all the time, in fact, I think 'reviewer tilt' is by far the most important aspect. Why? Because a good album doesn't need to have Brand New lyrics, Freddie Mercury vocals, or King Crimson guitarwork.

Well yes, I agree with this. I The Mighty's newest CD is a perfect example of doing everything right but not striking a chord with me despite such talent. I think that if there were 2 scores the "Review Tilt" could be reflected as the "subjective score" whereas the "objective score" could be a purely technical look.

For example, I The Mighty's Satori would get an objective rating of 8.5 from me whereas my enjoyment/subjective rating would be maybe a 6.5. Readers could look at the 2 and make surmise an accurate view of the album. It will never happen but I think it could be a good idea.
11:57 AM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
isnt that what the actual review is for? covering your ground and justifying your score? why do you need different scoring categories when it will all be laid out for you in actual words, which are much much more powerful than just numbers?

Yes, but it's a nice component IMO. Sometimes people on the go don't have time to read immediately but place value on the score. For example, years ago I bought Moneen's Red Tree based on the AP score without reading the review. Foolish (but was a superb buy) and rare maybe, but it happens.

And, not to be mean, but sometimes AP reviews get a little long winded when you just want a general opinion.
12:09 PM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
But why would someone believe that the subjective helps give an accurate view of an album when a person's enjoyment of an album differs from person to person.

One score is fine. People should be able to surmise that if an album gets an 8/10 or a 9/10, they should check it out.

I suppose you are right. In the end something could be the most generic piece of garbage to one but be a treasure for another. Perhaps scores should just be eliminated altogether since no one is ever happy either way with them.
09:55 AM on 08/04/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
Interesting review. Really don't agree with a word of it but a good read nevertheless.
The songs are flat and lack the energy and aggression of Fake History, a record I absolutely loved. I dont hate TBB but I think its a perfect example of the sophomore slump.
This is not to mention some downright awful lyrics, Im looking at you Phermone Cvlt.

Most disappointing record of 2013.
Old thread but had to quote this and say I very much agree. The record comes off as goofy and poppy. All in all a huge step down and it's actually giving me a headache trying to listen through this thing.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests