Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 8 posts
11:10 AM on 07/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
this is probably my least favorite album I've heard all year. I'd give it like a 15 or 20%.
11:44 AM on 07/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Would love to hear why - certainly is a polarizing record.
I never got a chance to listen to Fake History so this is my first experience with the band. Basically this record has everything I hate about (modern) posthardcore. I don't like the energy, it's too hectic for it's own good. It sounds like their constantly ripping off Refused and Glassjaw (which I both really like).

The production is awful, but the worst part is the clean choruses that they do too often. They ruin the flow of the songs and his "harsher" vocals are already extremely intelligible and clean imo, he could have kept singing the choruses with them and I wouldn't mind it so much. Some parts come off as really cheesy like Banshee's gang vocals "when they say, when they say."

And I also found the whole thing extremely homogeneous. I enjoyed Banshee when I first heard it, but got bored of the album by the 3rd or 4th song. Now, I can't really stomach listening to this at all.
11:48 AM on 07/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Not to keep adding to the score debate...but I will anyways. If you're trying to give a true objective review of an album I think it's important for individual components to be scored. If the production is crap then it should be reflected in the score for it does have an effect on the overall enjoyment for many people. A better option for the new AP should be to axe the "Reviewer Tilt" and have every album given an objective rating (with the same categories sans RT) and a subjective score (with no categories). This would satiate both those looking for a technical look as well as those more concerned with basic enjoyment.

Would be easy, useful, and crowd pleasing IMO and then there would be no more conversations derailed like this.
Oh hell no. Haven't you ever come across an album that had a lot of skill, well done lyrics, or excellent vocals and yet...it was entertaining you at all? I do all the time, in fact, I think 'reviewer tilt' is by far the most important aspect. Why? Because a good album doesn't need to have Brand New lyrics, Freddie Mercury vocals, or King Crimson guitarwork.
11:48 AM on 07/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Would most definitely go a tour like that in a heartbeat.

Fix yourself.
If it's anything like this. I probably shouldn't waste my time.
06:38 PM on 07/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
All of the above makes you exactly the person this review is aimed at. Like I said, there's a definite learning curve to this record, and my review's goal is to provide the roadmap past the barriers to entry, so you can enjoy the songs.

That said, I'm not exactly sure what kind of post-hardcore would please you. You say the record has "everything [you] hate about modern posthardcore," then claim they're constantly ripping off Refused and Glassjaw...which isn't modern posthardcore. Those seem to be conflicting thoughts. And I really can't name a modern posthardcore band I'd compare Letlive to - would you mind naming a few? Curious who out there compares.

Also, I think it's incredibly tough for The Blackest Beautiful to be your first exposure to Letlive. Fake History is more straightforward with better production - it's a much easier first listen.
Refused done tons to significantly influence the way post-hardcore has been in the last 10 or so years. The things I can't stand about modern post-hardcore include the clean choruses, the melodrama, the annoying vocalists. Honestly, Refused has many traits that make modern post-hardcore bad, but they delivered in a reserved and calculated execution that makes them leagues about their followers.

But enough about them, I have I feeling that they were so present on Fake History, but the clean choruses remind me of a lot of post hardcore bands actually. Mostly scenecore bands, which go without saying, but this band also reminds me of Second Head Automatica, but then I haven't listened to that band in ages.

I've given this a lot of time, actually. A lot more than I usually give bands I don't like on the first listen, and I like it less and less. Because each time, the flaws/things I don't like about it (lol) - the production, the vocals, the monotony - become more and more apparent to me.
08:55 PM on 07/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
everything is mixed and mastered so perfectly these days. it's cool to have an album that isn't like that. we all know they can make a record like that if they want to next time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giSnVQ0S26w
08:59 PM on 07/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
I wish the production was the only problem there.
It isn't, not by a long shot. edit: wow, just realized what a pathetic bridge that was...
09:02 PM on 07/10/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Surprised by the lack of talk on the lyrics of this album. Very blatant most of the time (because I'm a fan of imagery), but holy shit, that doesn't take away from the messages he's trying to convey this time around, which I think are summed up very well, overall, in the last minute or so of "27 Club." Sitting down with the lyrics is what made this album click so fast with me.

This album is phenomenal, especially within the vocal delivery of "The Dope Beat" and "27 Club." I don't understand the dismay with the choruses this time around. Were you not present for Fake History? They were there too, in the same capacity.

Fuck talking about the production. They still get their point across, musically and thematically.
the lyrics are very insipid...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version