jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
I loved that review.
11:11 AM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
The album reviews on this website are starting to feel really inflated. 9.5 for production? That is fanatical fan worship.
really getting annoying that this has to be explained in every review thread.
11:17 AM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
I'm not so annoyed that we have to explain it (though you'd think by now, people would get it). I'm more annoyed at the way people address it, like the comment above, in its Reddity righteousness.
even more annoying that all people seem to care about is a score, and complaining about something you clearly addressed in the review.
12:57 PM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
Well yes, I agree with this. I The Mighty's newest CD is a perfect example of doing everything right but not striking a chord with me despite such talent. I think that if there were 2 scores the "Review Tilt" could be reflected as the "subjective score" whereas the "objective score" could be a purely technical look.

For example, I The Mighty's Satori would get an objective rating of 8.5 from me whereas my enjoyment/subjective rating would be maybe a 6.5. Readers could look at the 2 and make surmise an accurate view of the album. It will never happen but I think it could be a good idea.
they shouldn't need to look at two scores when there's a written review that more clearly spells out the reviewer's opinion. A number doesn't say anything... it's so arbitrary. The review is the important part.
01:04 PM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
But why would someone believe that the subjective helps give an accurate view of an album when a person's enjoyment of an album differs from person to person.

One score is fine. People should be able to surmise that if an album gets an 8/10 or a 9/10, they should check it out.
exactly. like, what even is the difference between an 8 and a 9, really? the only point of the score is to catch the eye, so that the viewer digs deeper, reads the review, and checks out the record. This is why I like the idea of "not recommended/recommended/highly recommended" as opposed to a score.

But I guess I do get that there's something enchanting about seeing an album you love or are looking forward to get a 9.5 or higher, but it's so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
01:05 PM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
i think its more than that. i think its also a way to get a new perspective on an album if you've already heard it.
this. I love it when you read something that completely sheds new light on a record.
01:11 PM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
I suppose you are right. In the end something could be the most generic piece of garbage to one but be a treasure for another. Perhaps scores should just be eliminated altogether since no one is ever happy either way with them.
the reality is that someone will always be upset about this. even when Thomas didn't put a score on the new TWY album, people still got mad that there was no score. it's endless haha
09:58 PM on 07/09/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
I wish the production was the only problem there.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos