Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 18 posts.
08:50 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And Dear God, don't base your opinions on a YouTube stream/rip.
09:15 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
09:18 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review, Jack.

Not sure how I feel about this album yet. I absolutely love Fake History and I thought this was a major step down after the first two or three listens. I definitely plan to give it more listens. Hopefully I'll change my mind. I think Banshee and Empty Elvis are fantastic.
Definitely give it more listens. If "Empty Elvis" is one of your favorites, you're hanging on to the track most like Fake History - dig in deeper to the record.
09:59 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think someone else had this argument but is it really the production or is it the mixing? The songs themselves are superbly written but the choice of tones (I guess this is the producers doing?) and mixing is what gets me. I don't think it's bad, it's just different. I'm listening to the dope beat now and the breakdown part at 2:37 sounds awesome. It's a bit bass heavy but the more I listen, the more I get it. It's not muddy, or lacking clarity and it was definitely a conscious choice, it's just not what I was expecting or used to for this type of music.
i kind of included mixing in there when i said "production." there were probably some mistakes made on the mastering side. but the drums sound horrible and the guitar tones are muddy, which is the producers doing.

Yeah, I'd say this is a producer's job as well - there's plenty of hands-off producers who don't touch the songs, structurally.

The most telling aspect to me is my consistent need to turn up the volume during my favorite parts. I should feel surrounded by the music - not that it's being blasted at me. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't affect my love for the record.
10:08 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The album reviews on this website are starting to feel really inflated. 9.5 for production? That is fanatical fan worship.
Did you notice that every category is a 9.5?

We moved away from categorical reviews over six months ago. We review by overall score out of ten now, and the categories just mimic whatever our overall score is. I gave it a 9.5.
10:08 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you are aware that he just rated it 9.5, and then filled it in across-the-board, right?
Many of the reviewers don't both choosing a score for each category anymore.
We actually moved to /10 review scores because the new AP.net won't feature the categories - wanted to make the change early.
10:09 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think its pretty telling how strong the songs themselves are that they're able to (for the most part) overshadow the production end.
Precisely, my dear Watson.
10:14 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
really getting annoying that this has to be explained in every review thread.
I'm not so annoyed that we have to explain it (though you'd think by now, people would get it). I'm more annoyed at the way people address it, like the comment above, in its Reddity righteousness.
10:27 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band should tour with North Korea. They have a similar sound in my opinion.
I'd be down for this.
10:56 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the closing paragraph is akin to the old, "if you don't like this record, you're wrong." which is absolutely terrifying to read in a review here.
We can't all throw up "Create-Your-Own-Score" reviews. And the closing implies that you should give my method a try - not that you're completely ignorant if you disagree.
11:15 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is probably my least favorite album I've heard all year. I'd give it like a 15 or 20%.
Would love to hear why - certainly is a polarizing record.
11:26 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i disagree. you say that if the record doesn't strike a certain chord with a listener, they must just be listening to it wrong. that's not true. they could just not enjoy it at all.
"You're probably not listening the right way."

Not absolute.
11:37 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
there's still the implication coming from you that the listener is doing something wrong.....comes across as pretty condescending.
*Shrugs*
I've re-read it a few times. I like it.
Can't wait for this conversation to completely distract from the review and record discussion.
01:28 PM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I never got a chance to listen to Fake History so this is my first experience with the band. Basically this record has everything I hate about (modern) posthardcore. I don't like the energy, it's too hectic for it's own good. It sounds like their constantly ripping off Refused and Glassjaw (which I both really like).

The production is awful, but the worst part is the clean choruses that they do too often. They ruin the flow of the songs and his "harsher" vocals are already extremely intelligible and clean imo, he could have kept singing the choruses with them and I wouldn't mind it so much. Some parts come off as really cheesy like Banshee's gang vocals "when they say, when they say."

And I also found the whole thing extremely homogeneous. I enjoyed Banshee when I first heard it, but got bored of the album by the 3rd or 4th song. Now, I can't really stomach listening to this at all.

All of the above makes you exactly the person this review is aimed at. Like I said, there's a definite learning curve to this record, and my review's goal is to provide the roadmap past the barriers to entry, so you can enjoy the songs.

That said, I'm not exactly sure what kind of post-hardcore would please you. You say the record has "everything [you] hate about modern posthardcore," then claim they're constantly ripping off Refused and Glassjaw...which isn't modern posthardcore. Those seem to be conflicting thoughts. And I really can't name a modern posthardcore band I'd compare Letlive to - would you mind naming a few? Curious who out there compares.

Also, I think it's incredibly tough for The Blackest Beautiful to be your first exposure to Letlive. Fake History is more straightforward with better production - it's a much easier first listen.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums