Username
Password

Comments: Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 180
11:51 AM on 07/08/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
the closing paragraph is akin to the old, "if you don't like this record, you're wrong." which is absolutely terrifying to read in a review here.
11:56 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the closing paragraph is akin to the old, "if you don't like this record, you're wrong." which is absolutely terrifying to read in a review here.
We can't all throw up "Create-Your-Own-Score" reviews. And the closing implies that you should give my method a try - not that you're completely ignorant if you disagree.
12:10 PM on 07/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
this is probably my least favorite album I've heard all year. I'd give it like a 15 or 20%.
12:15 PM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is probably my least favorite album I've heard all year. I'd give it like a 15 or 20%.
Would love to hear why - certainly is a polarizing record.
12:22 PM on 07/08/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
We can't all throw up "Create-Your-Own-Score" reviews. And the closing implies that you should give my method a try - not that you're completely ignorant if you disagree.
i disagree. you say that if the record doesn't strike a certain chord with a listener, they must just be listening to it wrong. that's not true. they could just not enjoy it at all.
12:26 PM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i disagree. you say that if the record doesn't strike a certain chord with a listener, they must just be listening to it wrong. that's not true. they could just not enjoy it at all.
"You're probably not listening the right way."

Not absolute.
12:32 PM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
"You're probably not listening the right way."

Not absolute.
there's still the implication coming from you that the listener is doing something wrong.....comes across as pretty condescending.
12:37 PM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
there's still the implication coming from you that the listener is doing something wrong.....comes across as pretty condescending.
*Shrugs*
I've re-read it a few times. I like it.
Can't wait for this conversation to completely distract from the review and record discussion.
12:41 PM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Not to keep adding to the score debate...but I will anyways. If you're trying to give a true objective review of an album I think it's important for individual components to be scored. If the production is crap then it should be reflected in the score for it does have an effect on the overall enjoyment for many people. A better option for the new AP should be to axe the "Reviewer Tilt" and have every album given an objective rating (with the same categories sans RT) and a subjective score (with no categories). This would satiate both those looking for a technical look as well as those more concerned with basic enjoyment.

Would be easy, useful, and crowd pleasing IMO and then there would be no more conversations derailed like this.
12:44 PM on 07/08/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Would love to hear why - certainly is a polarizing record.
I never got a chance to listen to Fake History so this is my first experience with the band. Basically this record has everything I hate about (modern) posthardcore. I don't like the energy, it's too hectic for it's own good. It sounds like their constantly ripping off Refused and Glassjaw (which I both really like).

The production is awful, but the worst part is the clean choruses that they do too often. They ruin the flow of the songs and his "harsher" vocals are already extremely intelligible and clean imo, he could have kept singing the choruses with them and I wouldn't mind it so much. Some parts come off as really cheesy like Banshee's gang vocals "when they say, when they say."

And I also found the whole thing extremely homogeneous. I enjoyed Banshee when I first heard it, but got bored of the album by the 3rd or 4th song. Now, I can't really stomach listening to this at all.
12:45 PM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
Not to keep adding to the score debate...but I will anyways. If you're trying to give a true objective review of an album I think it's important for individual components to be scored. If the production is crap then it should be reflected in the score for it does have an effect on the overall enjoyment for many people. A better option for the new AP should be to axe the "Reviewer Tilt" and have every album given an objective rating (with the same categories sans RT) and a subjective score (with no categories). This would satiate both those looking for a technical look as well as those more concerned with basic enjoyment.

Would be easy, useful, and crowd pleasing IMO and then there would be no more conversations derailed like this.
that isnt going to happen. none of the reviewers like the categories because we all put different stock into different things. one absolute score is easily the best way to score something, and at the end of the day (i really cant believe i have to say this) a score is completely arbitrary.
12:48 PM on 07/08/13
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
User Info.
This band should tour with North Korea. They have a similar sound in my opinion.

Would most definitely go a tour like that in a heartbeat.

I never got a chance to listen to Fake History so this is my first experience with the band.

Fix yourself.
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.

Oh hell no. Haven't you ever come across an album that had a lot of skill, well done lyrics, or excellent vocals and yet...it was entertaining you at all? I do all the time, in fact, I think 'reviewer tilt' is by far the most important aspect. Why? Because a good album doesn't need to have Brand New lyrics, Freddie Mercury vocals, or King Crimson guitarwork.
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Would most definitely go a tour like that in a heartbeat.

Fix yourself.
If it's anything like this. I probably shouldn't waste my time.
12:49 PM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
If it's anything like this. I probably shouldn't waste my time.
its far better than this record imo. give it a go.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos