Username
Password

Comments: Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 180
11:50 AM on 07/08/13
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
User Info.
I think the production on the guitars and drums are weak and they sound so bland. I also don't like the production of Jason's voice and the harmonizing vocals. The vocals sound so overtuned and ever autotuned at times, I feel. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
11:50 AM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
that isnt going to happen. none of the reviewers like the categories because we all put different stock into different things. one absolute score is easily the best way to score something, and at the end of the day (i really cant believe i have to say this) a score is completely arbitrary.

Disagree personally, I feel unless you cover your ground these "discussions" will never end and a dual score would be (sort of) innovative and appeasing. And obviously the score is arbitrary but it's an important measure for people to be able to glance at and say this is either good or bad.
11:52 AM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Disagree personally, I feel unless you cover your ground these "discussions" will never end and a dual score would be (sort of) innovative and appeasing. And obviously the score is arbitrary but it's an important measure for people to be able to glance at and say this is either good or bad.
isnt that what the actual review is for? covering your ground and justifying your score? why do you need different scoring categories when it will all be laid out for you in actual words, which are much much more powerful than just numbers?
11:54 AM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
Oh hell no. Haven't you ever come across an album that had a lot of skill, well done lyrics, or excellent vocals and yet...it was entertaining you at all? I do all the time, in fact, I think 'reviewer tilt' is by far the most important aspect. Why? Because a good album doesn't need to have Brand New lyrics, Freddie Mercury vocals, or King Crimson guitarwork.

Well yes, I agree with this. I The Mighty's newest CD is a perfect example of doing everything right but not striking a chord with me despite such talent. I think that if there were 2 scores the "Review Tilt" could be reflected as the "subjective score" whereas the "objective score" could be a purely technical look.

For example, I The Mighty's Satori would get an objective rating of 8.5 from me whereas my enjoyment/subjective rating would be maybe a 6.5. Readers could look at the 2 and make surmise an accurate view of the album. It will never happen but I think it could be a good idea.
11:57 AM on 07/08/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
isnt that what the actual review is for? covering your ground and justifying your score? why do you need different scoring categories when it will all be laid out for you in actual words, which are much much more powerful than just numbers?

Yes, but it's a nice component IMO. Sometimes people on the go don't have time to read immediately but place value on the score. For example, years ago I bought Moneen's Red Tree based on the AP score without reading the review. Foolish (but was a superb buy) and rare maybe, but it happens.

And, not to be mean, but sometimes AP reviews get a little long winded when you just want a general opinion.
11:57 AM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
Well yes, I agree with this. I The Mighty's newest CD is a perfect example of doing everything right but not striking a chord with me despite such talent. I think that if there were 2 scores the "Review Tilt" could be reflected as the "subjective score" whereas the "objective score" could be a purely technical look.

For example, I The Mighty's Satori would get an objective rating of 8.5 from me whereas my enjoyment/subjective rating would be maybe a 6.5. Readers could look at the 2 and make surmise an accurate view of the album. It will never happen but I think it could be a good idea.
they shouldn't need to look at two scores when there's a written review that more clearly spells out the reviewer's opinion. A number doesn't say anything... it's so arbitrary. The review is the important part.
11:58 AM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Yes, but it's a nice component IMO. Sometimes people on the go don't have time to read immediately but place value on the score. For example, years ago I bought Moneen's Red Tree based on the AP score without reading the review. Foolish (but was a superb buy) and rare maybe, but it happens.

And, not to be mean, but sometimes AP reviews get a little long winded when you just want a general opinion.
why should we cater to an occurrence that, as you admitted, is foolish and rare?
11:58 AM on 07/08/13
Deathco_019
User Info.

But why would someone believe that the subjective helps give an accurate view of an album when a person's enjoyment of an album differs from person to person.

One score is fine. People should be able to surmise that if an album gets an 8/10 or a 9/10, they should check it out.
12:01 PM on 07/08/13
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
Goodness, just listen to the record and see if you like it. A review is only something that convinces you to check out a record and make your own opinion.

Have mercy just hinted that them and letlive. are touring together in the fall.
12:02 PM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Goodness, just listen to the record and see if you like it. A review is only something that convinces you to check out a record and make your own opinion.

Have mercy just hinted that them and letlive. are touring together in the fall.
i think its more than that. i think its also a way to get a new perspective on an album if you've already heard it.
12:04 PM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
But why would someone believe that the subjective helps give an accurate view of an album when a person's enjoyment of an album differs from person to person.

One score is fine. People should be able to surmise that if an album gets an 8/10 or a 9/10, they should check it out.
exactly. like, what even is the difference between an 8 and a 9, really? the only point of the score is to catch the eye, so that the viewer digs deeper, reads the review, and checks out the record. This is why I like the idea of "not recommended/recommended/highly recommended" as opposed to a score.

But I guess I do get that there's something enchanting about seeing an album you love or are looking forward to get a 9.5 or higher, but it's so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
12:04 PM on 07/08/13
Deathco_019
User Info.
i think its more than that. i think its also a way to get a new perspective on an album if you've already heard it.
Exactly this. I couldn't tell you how many times I've read a review that gave me a different view on an album and later turned me into a fan of said album.
12:05 PM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
exactly. like, what even is the difference between an 8 and a 9, really? the only point of the score is to catch the eye, so that the viewer digs deeper, reads the review, and checks out the record. This is why I like the idea of "not recommended/recommended/highly recommended" as opposed to a score.

But I guess I do get that there's something enchanting about seeing an album you love or are looking forward to get a 9.5 or higher, but it's so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
i'll tell you right now i put maybe 10-20 seconds of thought into my score. it just doesnt matter to me, im much more concerned about the 5-6 paragraphs i just spent 3 hours writing.

i think a 5 star scale or a letter grade scale would be best.
12:05 PM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
this. I love it when you read something that completely sheds new light on a record.
12:07 PM on 07/08/13
gregplaysdrums
Drummer
User Info.
i think its pretty telling how strong the songs themselves are that they're able to (for the most part) overshadow the production end.

I totally agree with you on this. I'm usually really turned off by recordings with muddy production. This one though, I can't get enough of.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos