AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 180.
11:33 AM on 07/09/13
petter182
User Info.
This band should tour with North Korea. They have a similar sound in my opinion.
Now I really need to check out NK.
12:20 PM on 07/09/13
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
User Info.
There are plenty of GENIUS lyrics though. You can single out the bad ones sure, but it's hard to ignore the others.

Also, this is their fourth album, so sophomore slump doesn't apply here
I guess the most apt comparison would be Underoath.
I don't really consider Act of Depression and that other one whose name I can't remember UO records.
Same name, different product.
12:22 PM on 07/09/13
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
I guess the most apt comparison would be Underoath.
I don't really consider Act of Depression and that other one whose name I can't remember UO records.
Same name, different product.

I get what you mean, man. I just was kinda pointing it out. I apologize if it came off as dickish
12:25 PM on 07/09/13
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
User Info.
the production is on purpose. i kind of like that the sounds just hit you all at once. everything is mixed and mastered so perfectly these days. it's cool to have an album that isn't like that. we all know they can make a record like that if they want to next time.
I get that its a stylistic decision but that doesn't make it a good one. The Chariot, Every Time I Die, and hell even the new Deafheaven have records with less than pristine production but still manage to sound fantastic and substantial. There's a complete lack of power behind the record which is a shame because there is a monster of an album hiding somewhere in there.
01:35 PM on 07/09/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
I listened to this for the first time at the gym, it was one of the most fulfilling workouts I've had.
02:09 PM on 07/09/13
nevelsaynevels
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hahahh +1 for the brian regan reference.

Excellent review..... The more I listen to it the more I think this record was intended to be listened to in a car. When I listen to it on my record player with my legit set up, a lot of flaws shine through, but when I jam it in my car, it kicks in just the right way.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Kit Walters and his work. He's not a well known producer, but most of the records he's touched have been favorites. At the same time, since he's only listed as co-producer/engineer I'm assuming Jeff from ll. had his hands on this record more than he did.

I think the fact that they released this record, sounding like it does is the best way it could have been released. While I think it'd be cool to hear what they could do with steve evetts or goldman, it's cool to see a band at their level stay as DIY as possible.
02:49 PM on 07/09/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
They need to have worked with someone else for production yes, but absolutely not McTernan. He does an awful job with heavy bands.
they should have recorded with Garth Richardson
02:51 PM on 07/09/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Caught part of these guys' set at Warped in Darien Lake, and it was one of the most intense live shows I've ever seen. Needless to say, I'm geared to pick this up tomorrow. I hear pieces of Glassjaw and Every Time I Die...but not enough that this doesn't sound completely creative. Stoked.
I saw their set too at Darien Lake. it was awesome. these guys never fail to deliver. Did you notice Jordan from ETID was there standing up in the sound tent? they actually said ETID was a big influence to them.
04:13 PM on 07/09/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
I saw their set too at Darien Lake. it was awesome. these guys never fail to deliver. Did you notice Jordan from ETID was there standing up in the sound tent? they actually said ETID was a big influence to them.

No, I didn't! Haha that's so awesome...I only caught the first three or so songs before I was off to catch Stick to Your Guns, I think. But it's definitely prevalent in the way he alternates melodically to screaming.
08:32 PM on 07/09/13
wheniflysolo
User Info.
Agreed.

Maybe someone like Nick Raskulinecz or Matt Goldman.
dude goldman would crush with this band. ugh.
08:55 PM on 07/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
everything is mixed and mastered so perfectly these days. it's cool to have an album that isn't like that. we all know they can make a record like that if they want to next time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giSnVQ0S26w
08:58 PM on 07/09/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
I wish the production was the only problem there.
08:59 PM on 07/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
I wish the production was the only problem there.
It isn't, not by a long shot. edit: wow, just realized what a pathetic bridge that was...
10:54 PM on 07/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
11:43 AM on 07/10/13
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
I like the sound.

It's fresh.
Options
More From This Author