AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 83.
12:19 PM on 07/09/13
shwaz499
User Info.
Do you think the name of the website limits its potential success? I mean I barely listen to punk music anymore yet this site is still my go to for all things music. I love its inclusivity of all genres unlike some pretentious sites (ahem, pitchfork). I feel like a name change would take the site to a new level. I feel like you have enough of a built in base here that a new name transition wouldn't be so difficult. Would love to hear you guys talk about this.
12:41 PM on 07/09/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
I love its inclusivity of all genres unlike some pretentious sites (ahem, pitchfork).

pitchfork's range of music coverage is broader than a good majority of music sites.
12:47 PM on 07/09/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
Jason has mentioned that its in the works, so I'm assuming it'll happen eventually.

I was talking to Vince over at Loud & Obnoxious about doing a collab, which really excited me, but it just wasn't meant to be.
I just picked up a No Bragging Rights/Loud & Obnoxious collab tee at their hometown show before warped. It's pretty sweet.
12:50 PM on 07/09/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
Have you ever fired two guns while jumping through the air?
What's it like being stabbed?
12:55 PM on 07/09/13
shwaz499
User Info.
pitchfork's range of music coverage is broader than a good majority of music sites.
i actually do follow pitchfork and i learn about a lot of new artists from them. And yes they do have a diverse taste but I can't take how they just ignore a whole bunch of artists in all genres as if they don't even exist. Its as if they have a nucleus there that decides that an artist is not high brow enough for the site and therefore they will never even be mentioned. AP.net is much more inclusive in that sense and even reports on artists that the general populous detests like Brokencyde or Nickelback. I respect that.
12:58 PM on 07/09/13
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
i actually do follow pitchfork and i learn about a lot of new artists from them. And yes they do have a diverse taste but I can't take how they just ignore a whole bunch of artists in all genres as if they don't even exist. Its as if they have a nucleus there that decides that an artist is not high brow enough for the site and therefore they will never even be mentioned. AP.net is much more inclusive in that sense and even reports on artists that the general populous detests like Brokencyde or Nickelback. I respect that.
this doesnt make sense because they cover artists they dont like a lot hence the negative reviews they often post (and they get criticized for, so looks like they're in a lose-lose). i mean, they cant cover EVERYTHING, but i think they do a really really good job of hitting several different sects of music.
01:17 PM on 07/09/13
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.
THANKS A LOT FOR THE PB&J TUTORIAL, BUD
01:21 PM on 07/09/13
shwaz499
User Info.
this doesnt make sense because they cover artists they dont like a lot hence the negative reviews they often post (and they get criticized for, so looks like they're in a lose-lose). i mean, they cant cover EVERYTHING, but i think they do a really really good job of hitting several different sects of music.
i mean anything remotely associated with the "scene" or "pop punk" is absolutely ignored... for instance... youd think a lot of their readers would like manchester orchestra... but there is no mention of them because of their association with other acts. they ignore virtually all mainstream artists unless its hip hop. it just doesnt seem consistent to me. again, i like pitchfork for what it is... i was just using it as a point of contrast to ap.net which I think does a better job at covering a wide range of artists these days. But as far as quality of reviews/ content pitchfork is about as good as it gets.
01:21 PM on 07/09/13
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
i mean anything remotely associated with the "scene" or "pop punk" is absolutely ignored... for instance... youd think a lot of their readers would like manchester orchestra... but there is no mention of them because of their association with other acts. they ignore virtually all mainstream artists unless its hip hop. it just doesnt seem consistent to me. again, i like pitchfork for what it is... i was just using it as a point of contrast to ap.net which I think does a better job at covering a wide range of artists these days. But as far as quality of reviews/ content pitchfork is about as good as it gets.
http://pitchfork.com/search/?query=manchester+orchestra

also they cover a LOT of mainstream outside of hip-hop. maybe not album reviews sometimes, but if you take a look at their end of the year lists for songs of the year, they hit a LOT of the big pop songs.
01:23 PM on 07/09/13
shwaz499
User Info.

also they cover a LOT of mainstream outside of hip-hop. maybe not album reviews sometimes, but if you take a look at their end of the year lists for songs of the year, they hit a LOT of the big pop songs.
touche sir... i dont know why i was certain that didn't exist. you got me there. i'll shut up.
01:25 PM on 07/09/13
shwaz499
User Info.

and i was never knocking them. whatever they do works for them. sometime it just seems theres a more thorough vetting process to get music on there (as in it has to have a certain artfulness). its nice that other sites are more laid back... thats all.
01:27 PM on 07/09/13
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
and i was never knocking them. whatever they do works for them. sometime it just seems theres a more thorough vetting process to get music on there (as in it has to have a certain artfulness). its nice that other sites are more laid back... thats all.
i see your point and i think a site like pitchfork and this site operate completely differently. i get what you're saying, but it just seemed to me at first you weren't giving them enough credit (and threw out the word pretentious, which i think is completely invalid). but i do see where you're coming from.
01:30 PM on 07/09/13
shwaz499
User Info.
i see your point and i think a site like pitchfork and this site operate completely differently. i get what you're saying, but it just seemed to me at first you weren't giving them enough credit (and threw out the word pretentious, which i think is completely invalid). but i do see where you're coming from.
i guess i'm still bitter about the fact that pretty much the only time they ever mentioned Blink was when Best Coast covered them haha
03:11 PM on 07/10/13
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
What has been the toughest news to hold back from publishing on the site?

Do you think DTR should come back and release everything on vinyl?
09:50 PM on 07/11/13
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Will Anton ever come back?
Sup. Still here.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives