AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Josh Pyke - The Beginning And The End of Everything Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Josh Pyke - The Beginning And The End of Everything

Reviewed by: Geology Rocks! (07/09/13)
Josh Pyke –The Beginning And The End of Everything
Release Date: July 5, 2013
Record Label: Ivy League Records

That moment an album hits you and is just good. It doesn’t need any over dramatic verbs, adjectives, nouns, etc. It’s just a good and solid album that needs to be listened to. In saying that, just saying an album is good, doesn't make for a good review.

Australia’s Josh Pyke has done that with his latest album ‘The Beginning And The End of Everything’. It has the sensibility of Bon Iver, but the immediate fun of Mumford & Sons with a hint of a 60s pop vibe.

His single “Leeward Side” gives the immediate feel of a hit. I’m going to continue to draw similarities between Josh and Bon Iver. Their vocals are staggeringly similar, and are so equally infectious. Imagine if “Little Lion Man”, that Mumford & Sons monster hit, was sung by Justin Vernon; you’ll get the gist of this song just imagining that; Mouth-watering, right?

Most Josh Pyke fans knew he could reach great heights; it was just a matter of when. This new album has probably got him high enough to climb up to the top, or will create a pre-requisite for it to happen soon. If he’s not there yet, he’s right on the cusp.

This 35 year old is probably Australia’s best kept secret, well, it’s time we let the world have him. He deserves international recognition more than any other artist coming out of Australia at the moment.

This album has the perfect tempo shift between songs; the first track is only 104 seconds long, but what it does to you, it sets you up for the next track so well, it almost gives you chills. On first listen, I literally paused and said to myself “Oh hello, what’s going to happen here?” because I was mesmerised by the sound.

In saying that, this album does have lulls which cannot be forgiven. Sometimes it gets too slow for it's own good, and when it needs to be more upbeat, it just gets slower.

"White Lines Dancing" is the penultimate track, and it's probably one of the best tracks on the album. Why you ask? Well, it's not a fast song, but it's still a toe tapper. The tracks draws you in and keeps you warm during winter and cold during summer, it's an all year pleasure. You always hear about these "great summer hits" and "winter warmers" well, this song just a song. Listen to it whenever you like, it will suit the mood, the weather and the season.

I highly recommend this album. I will be like Kyle Huntington with The Maccabees and will shove this in people’s faces, every chance I get. Love you, Kyle. <3

8.5/10

Recommended If You Like Bon Iver, Mumford & Sons, The Unlikely Candidates, The Maccabees

Standout Tracks Leeward Side, All the Very Best of Us, Order Has Abandoned Us, White Lines Dancing, Stories That Get Told

Album InfoTrack List:
01 – Bug Eyed Beauty
02 – The Beginning and the End of Everything
03 – Leeward Side
04 – Haunt You Love
05 – Warm in Winter
06 – All the Very Best of Us
07 – Feet of Clay
08 – Horse’s Head
09 – Order Has Abandoned Us
10 – White Lines Dancing
11 – Stories That Get Told

Buy on iTunes: Australia - United States - United Kingdom

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:32 AM on 07/15/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Originally Posted by Kyle Huntington
The last line is in no way a cheap swing at you. If it wasn't for you parading The Maccabees around, I would never have discovered such a great band.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests