AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Skate and Surf Fest News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

GameChanger Releasing First Wave of Games in August

Posted by - 02:16 PM on 07/09/13
GameChanger will release its first series of video games in August featuring Forever The Sickest Kids, Mayday Parade, Senses Fail, Bayside and more. Check out some info below and read more here.
The GameChanger World app will be available for iOS and Android mobile devices through the APP Store and Google Play. The app will launch on August 1, with new platforms to be released every other week. August 1, Forever the Sickest Kids, T. Mills, Allstar Weekend and August 15, Mayday Parade, Senses Fail, Hopsin, and August 29, Bayside, Mod Sun, and Miss May I. For a small fee, players will be able to compete with other users, as well as win prizes. More games are to be released throughout the year. For more information, please visit.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
02:24 PM on 07/09/13
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
Weird
02:30 PM on 07/09/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is such a fucking bomb.
Dude thinks he can peddle iPhone clone games to scene kids and combine it with a Fanscape type model - that's what it all boils down to.

Does he realize that he'd make 100x the money if he just opened an indie game studio with no relation to autotune pop? Not only that - but the actual product would be a hell of a lot better as well.

It's really fucking sad that we're in 2013 and bands think they have to put themselves in Angry Birds clones.
02:40 PM on 07/09/13
esposimi
The Human Fund
User Info.
Android app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....Gam eChanger

John D needs to stick to festivals and not mobile gaming. This is going to be so bad...
02:41 PM on 07/09/13
The Gunz Show
twitter.com/thegunzshow
User Info.
i played the FTSK one at Warped the other day on the bus..

it's actually pretty fun and entertaining. plus you can build up points and then cash them in for autographed things or meet and greets, etc. from bands

concept is kind of cool. i mean, everyone's using their phones any way so why not, especially for the target audience.

- Gunz
02:43 PM on 07/09/13
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
This is such a fucking bomb.
Dude thinks he can peddle iPhone clone games to scene kids and combine it with a Fanscape type model - that's what it all boils down to.

Does he realize that he'd make 100x the money if he just opened an indie game studio with no relation to autotune pop? Not only that - but the actual product would be a hell of a lot better as well.

It's really fucking sad that we're in 2013 and bands think they have to put themselves in Angry Birds clones.
While I agree with most of this semi-cohesive rant, what you're ignoring in this equation is the premade audience of scenesters that this garbage will appeal to. If he "just opened an indie game studio" he'd be competing against thousands of other developers with little to no brand recognition once he got whatever crap he was making to market. At least now the crap has a target audience.

That being said, this looks terrible.
02:50 PM on 07/09/13
Vince Early
Size The Day
User Info.
I just don't see this working out at all. I really don't see that many people downloading these games because their favorite band is connected to it.
02:52 PM on 07/09/13
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust (Still)
User Info.
This sucks. John D sucks. Nothing to see here.
02:53 PM on 07/09/13
emopunkfan
AllTimeLow
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You all will be fooled
03:55 PM on 07/09/13
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
I think you guys are underestimating the power of the 13-17 year old teenager, especially girls. If they like the band, they will download. Fuck, I'll probably buy the Senses Fail just for the hell of it. Whats an extra couple of bucks on my credit card bill, especially when some of it is helping a band I love out.
04:24 PM on 07/09/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 730 bands!
User Info.
So what number delay is this on now? Wasn't this supposed to happen in March, then May and now August?
06:01 PM on 07/09/13
fowruok
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So what number delay is this on now? Wasn't this supposed to happen in March, then May and now August?
John D operates on Bamboozle time.

This sounds terrible.
07:07 PM on 07/09/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
While I agree with most of this semi-cohesive rant, what you're ignoring in this equation is the premade audience of scenesters that this garbage will appeal to. If he "just opened an indie game studio" he'd be competing against thousands of other developers with little to no brand recognition once he got whatever crap he was making to market. At least now the crap has a target audience.

That being said, this looks terrible.

My point is that doing that is limiting yourself. The indie game scene is at the same place ap.net style music was in 2002. He could utilize his angle and make actual product instead of some tack-on fluff.

If he opened a mid-size indie game studio not focusing on making clones with artist branding - it'd still be introduced on music-related sites. I played some rhythm title a while back that had new material by Beck and Deadmau5 in it and doing something like that but with an actual quality product - he'd get the same coverage without just peddling awful product to kids with iPhones.

That little target audience is nothing compared to what a semi-breakout indie title can bring in. Our little not-even-a-studio has one title that we made in 5 weeks and we've got several big offers already. The indie game scene is getting to a point akin to when Thrice got 3 million bucks right as they released Illusion Of Safety. I've seen a few games recently that make me go "Oh shit, this is totally the Count The Stars of indie games!".

I think you guys are underestimating the power of the 13-17 year old teenager, especially girls. If they like the band, they will download. Fuck, I'll probably buy the Senses Fail just for the hell of it. Whats an extra couple of bucks on my credit card bill, especially when some of it is helping a band I love out.

...It's not exactly a $60 product. It's looking like it's going to be free/$1 games, with a fee to get connected to "GameChanger World" where you get leader boards and most likely some kind of feed from the artist.
07:34 PM on 07/09/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 730 bands!
User Info.
John D operates on Bamboozle time.

This sounds terrible.
Absolutely correct.
10:15 PM on 07/09/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
My point is that doing that is limiting yourself. The indie game scene is at the same place ap.net style music was in 2002. He could utilize his angle and make actual product instead of some tack-on fluff.

If he opened a mid-size indie game studio not focusing on making clones with artist branding - it'd still be introduced on music-related sites. I played some rhythm title a while back that had new material by Beck and Deadmau5 in it and doing something like that but with an actual quality product - he'd get the same coverage without just peddling awful product to kids with iPhones.

That little target audience is nothing compared to what a semi-breakout indie title can bring in. Our little not-even-a-studio has one title that we made in 5 weeks and we've got several big offers already. The indie game scene is getting to a point akin to when Thrice got 3 million bucks right as they released Illusion Of Safety. I've seen a few games recently that make me go "Oh shit, this is totally the Count The Stars of indie games!".

...It's not exactly a $60 product. It's looking like it's going to be free/$1 games, with a fee to get connected to "GameChanger World" where you get leader boards and most likely some kind of feed from the artist.

Wow, a Count The Stars reference. Haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version