Password

Album Review
They're Liars - Give It Up! Album Cover

They're Liars - Give It Up!

Reviewed by
They're Liars - Give It Up!
Record Label: None
Release Date: June 6, 2008
It's no secret that a lot of unsigned bands aren't quite up to par with others in their genre. Of course, there are many that are; however, plenty of them spend more time messing with their Myspace pages rather then practicing. The bands that are dedicated are the bands that sound good; they're the bands that have a real shot, they're the bands that will get signed first, and They're Liars (get it?). Hailing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, They're Liars bring the fresh sounding blend of indie rock and pop-punk that I've spent hours on purevolume.com searching for. They aren't so generic that they blend in and they aren't so different that they're inaccessible. They're Liars fall perfectly in the middle, and they fit there just fine.

Their 2007 debut EP Swallow Your Pride and Choke on It was a largely generic pop-punk disc that didn't bring much to the table as far as creativity goes. It displayed the talent they had, but didn't stray much from common song structures. They have progressed from that on to their debut full-length, Give It Up!, where they show a large musical growth in skill and songwriting style.

Vocally, They're Liars are very strong. Frederico Zapata doesn't display great range, but puts a great amount of emotion and tension into the words so that range isn't much of an issue. His voice reminds one of a Chris Conley (Saves the Day) with a lower voice. While his pipes aren't the strongest or even the best, Zapata fits it into the sound the band brings in very well.

Guitarist Alex Hernandez shows the biggest improvement from their EP. There are a vast amount of guitar lines that aren't significantly complicated, but are certainly better than the simple chord progressions that fell into on every previous song. Hernandez also displays the ability to change what he's doing at the snap of his fingers; his ability to transition between different parts is smooth and captivating.

The drums on this record follow with guitars in terms of transitions. One moment, Nick Shaffer is playing pop-esque snare combinations and the next he's bringing the heavier aspects with hard-hitting double-bass kicks. He plays with just the right amount of crunch; it doesn't sound under-produced and it doesn't sound like he's trying too hard to make it the way it is.

Overall, They're Liars have opened a door for themselves. Give It Up! is an album that is very enchanting and catchy, as the band recorded something that is more impressive than many other unsigned acts; hopefully, this will put them ahead of the pack. They're Liars would be a gift to any record deal, and if they aren't signed soon, it isn't their fault - it will be the record companies'.

Recommended if You LikeGo Radio, Valencia, Motion City Soundtrack

myspace.com/theyreliars
This review is a user submitted review from hockeyguitar99. You can see all of hockeyguitar99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
01:43 PM on 06/20/08
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
I haven't heard these guys, but I like that they used the correct form of "they're."
08:37 AM on 06/21/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
good review.
I love these kids.

they're one of the nicest bands I've dealt with in the process of reviewing a disc.
01:27 PM on 07/29/08
kris.mp3
so what if my house is just a van?
User Info.
these guys are really awesome.
i have both of their cds
and its great hearing some new voices
they're different and in one of the greatest ways.
these guys rock :]
03:28 AM on 11/19/08
the best zombie
when all else fails...learn to fall
User Info.
They're not worthy of the score sorry. I thought I'd throw an honest negative comment out there. They are almost okay to me. They still need some work.
08:05 AM on 11/21/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
They're not worthy of the score sorry. I thought I'd throw an honest negative comment out there. They are almost okay to me. They still need some work.
Thanks for your opinion, but that score is my opinion and 100% stand by it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos