Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
06:01 AM on 07/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Good review, and I think the introductory parts about Yeezus are completely justified. One artist is pushing the envelope and innovating while the other is comfortable stagnating in the same old territory. One thing I would add to the comparison, though, has to do with length. Kanye has learned to make a concise and consistent album, and I think part of the reason Yeezus succeeds is that it's this lean, relentless burst of abrasive aggression. Even MBDTF, which is nothing if not epic and sprawling, feels a lot more condensed than Kanye's older album because he learned to ditch the skits and the interludes (mostly) and the filler and make something that you actually want to experience in one sitting.

This album, on the other hand, just keeps fucking going. It's one thing that the songs aren't that good to begin with. I could have done with an album of disposable Jay-Z lyrics if every song had a great beat and a killer guest spot (which several of them do), but the in between tracks where it's just him are where this album really falters. I looked down somewhere around "Heaven" thinking, "shit, this thing has gotta be almost over," but there were still seven more songs.
07:05 AM on 07/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

yeah, the length of this thing is what made me dread going back for repeated listens to hammer out this review....i had the same problem with the new wale album. halfway through im begging for it to end only to realize i've still got 7-8 songs to go

Yeah, I don't blame you. I only listened once, and that was a chore. Probably going to be one of the few albums where I actually delete most of the tracks.

I really hope you don't get paid to write these reviews...this album lacks substance, really?! do me a favor and go to rapgenius.com and look up the meanings to his raps on MCHG. There are so many double meanings/historical references on this album it's nuts. You probably just don't get it at face value but there IS meaning and emotion behind the record. And Tom Ford goes hard.

No need to be a dick about it...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News