Numero10
No al calcio moderno
User Info.
Seems weird to me that people don't know what skint means
07:50 AM on 07/15/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The guy said something silly on Twitter... Someone stole his song. Id be pissed too!
08:30 AM on 07/15/13
Hail Lelouch
User Info.
This doesn't really surprise me. The Weeknd got his sound from his original producer and then kicked him to the curb. Drake helped him get noticed and he said "whatever" and signed with someone else. I like his music, but he obviously has no problems with using and abusing other artists to get ahead.
pretty much this
08:48 AM on 07/15/13
3GunGaz
Claret and Blue
User Info.
Some brits are unbelievably awful with text. They still do it like they did it with single-line cells in '96.

As opposed to the grammatical expertise of every single American?
08:50 AM on 07/15/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
This doesn't really surprise me. The Weeknd got his sound from his original producer and then kicked him to the curb. Drake helped him get noticed and he said "whatever" and signed with someone else. I like his music, but he obviously has no problems with using and abusing other artists to get ahead.
yep
08:51 AM on 07/15/13
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
User Info.
Ya The Weeknd's a dick
08:53 AM on 07/15/13
bringthenoise
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i really think that in the grand scheme of things, both are on majors/both have lawyers, etc. there's no way Universal Republic would put money into a video/promoting a single knowing that the samples weren't cleared, you know? there's definite miscommunication between the camps.

(unless Abel is trying to power move/force the sample clearance, which is totally possible.)
08:54 AM on 07/15/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
this song is bad
09:02 AM on 07/15/13
bowbzzz
User Info.
i really think that in the grand scheme of things, both are on majors/both have lawyers, etc. there's no way Universal Republic would put money into a video/promoting a single knowing that the samples weren't cleared, you know? there's definite miscommunication between the camps.

(unless Abel is trying to power move/force the sample clearance, which is totally possible.)
Labels do that shit all the time because they're ignorant. Abel isn't doing any power move.

He's just dumb and disrespectful.
09:13 AM on 07/15/13
bringthenoise
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Labels do that shit all the time because they're ignorant. Abel isn't doing any power move.

He's just dumb and disrespectful.
well i guess he'll just have to pay them then in order to keep the song. it's already out there, you know?

(sidenote: I totally didn't know that Abel is a dick.)
09:24 AM on 07/15/13
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
09:29 AM on 07/15/13
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For those who can't click the link:

Quote:
@jetfury @pitchforkmedia @theweeknd
MAYBE YOU SHOULD OF ACCEPTED IT BITCH YOUR STUPID FOR NOT THIS IS GOOD MUSIC

Which is possibly the greatest quote of anything ever.
09:30 AM on 07/15/13
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Ohhhh shit. I've been so out of the loop with what's happening with Weeknd. So much disrespect.
09:35 AM on 07/15/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
. there's no way Universal Republic would put money into a video/promoting a single knowing that the samples weren't cleared, you know?

...As a producer who kind of specializes in sampling - No, I don't know what you're talking about. They really don't care. The general consensus in 2013 is that music is promotional tool only and that it doesn't matter if you've got uncleared samples when you're building an artist.

See, the difference is that a lot of artists sample for cred and those songs aren't the actual hits - they just enable them. This means that there's no Bitter Sweet Symphony-style risk involved.

well i guess he'll just have to pay them then in order to keep the song. it's already out there, you know?

(sidenote: I totally didn't know that Abel is a dick.)

No, its not that simple.
He filed a request and got denied. Simply paying for it now is not enough. The artist doesn't care about people hearing it - he cares about his own integrity. They've cleared samples before, plenty of times.
09:47 AM on 07/15/13
keepthechange11
Blink and you miss a beat
User Info.

yeah it sucks but apparently he and Drake made up
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums