AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts
11:18 AM on 07/15/13
disconinja2008
User Info.
This might be the first Thom Yorke move I STRONGLY disagree with. I read his and Nigel's spiels on the situation and I don't believe they are being fan-friendly or realistic about the state of music.

People steal music. That's a fact. Artists must accept that. Spotify is just a way to make it easier for a listener to try hearing a band--if not Spotify, Grooveshark--if not Grooveshark, YouTube. It's all about exposure so that band can sell merch, get people to shows, and, yes, even sell more albums! If a band isn't on Spotify, that's just a vessel to expose themselves that they aren't using.

I truly hope this is the only time that Nigel and Thom act this naive.
11:49 AM on 07/15/13
disconinja2008
User Info.

Artists and their works deserve respect. Saying that artists need to accept the fact that their works have (against their will) been turned into free promotional material for a tour that the person that stole it might not even show up to is part of a larger, self-entitled attitude that has kept people from realizing what a detriment illegal downloading is. I applaud these guys for taking a stand and I hope more artists follow suit.
I was making the point that this is the world we are living in and you cannot undo the fact that pirating and streaming are a part of the music industry. And just because you have an infographic does not mean you are correct....sure, applaud the gesture but also realize that nothing will change as a result. Even when you are as huge and as influential as Thom is.
11:50 AM on 07/15/13
disconinja2008
User Info.
The thing is, if I'm just getting into a band I'm not going to immediately head to the record store and pick up their CD. I'm gonna hit up Youtube or Spotify and see if I enjoy it enough to purchase.

However, if I do enjoy it, I will head to the record store and SUPPORT the artist. I'd be a liar if I said I've never illegally downloaded music, but it's not a practice I regularly engage in.

In summation; support the artists you love. They deserve that from you, the listener.
End rant.
this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests