Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts
10:49 AM on 07/15/13
ImAMetaphor
Drownding
User Info.
What seems to be the controversy behind this? I must not be familiar with it.
10:59 AM on 07/15/13
ImAMetaphor
Drownding
User Info.
It's not necessarily a controversy... They just see the reality that up and coming bands that release their first full lengths need to make sales of it to pay back the label. This is also a way of proving to their label that they're a financially viable investment. Spotify makes that more difficult by cutting into the sales.
Yeah, I can understand that. I was unaware Spotify was so cheap, in that regard. Makes me think twice about using it so often.
11:00 AM on 07/15/13
ImAMetaphor
Drownding
User Info.
the royalities that artists get from Spotify are embarrassingly low, it's really a terrible model from the artist side of things
Bummer. I've always been on board with it because of the convenience factor. However, if I'm not supporting an artist by using it... well shit.
11:32 AM on 07/15/13
ImAMetaphor
Drownding
User Info.
The thing is, if I'm just getting into a band I'm not going to immediately head to the record store and pick up their CD. I'm gonna hit up Youtube or Spotify and see if I enjoy it enough to purchase.

However, if I do enjoy it, I will head to the record store and SUPPORT the artist. I'd be a liar if I said I've never illegally downloaded music, but it's not a practice I regularly engage in.

In summation; support the artists you love. They deserve that from you, the listener.
End rant.
08:19 PM on 07/15/13
ImAMetaphor
Drownding
User Info.
Artists make a very small amount per song listen; that's just the reality of it. It's only $10 for unlimited listening, of course the royalty rates are real low; they have to be to keep the price fair with the huge number of songs people are playing. IRS a silly thing to complain about... In the end, a little is better than none from an illegal download.
Right. As shitty as the situation is, I'd rather the artist get SOMETHING from my listening than nothing by illegally downloading.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos